HOW MUCH TO LOSE WEEKLY?

Options
Im towerd the end of my 2nd week of dieting and i have lost 6lbs but i havent lost even an oz in the last 4 days! what is a good amount of weight to lose weekly?

Replies

• nickmast78
    Options
    Shoot for 1 to 2 pounds a week max.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Short answer - it depends

Weight loss won't be linear ... it will fluctuate from week to week. As you get closer to your goal, losses will become smaller & smaller.

1 lb = 3,500 calories ... this is a calorie deficit of 500 each day

2 lb = 7,000 calories ... this is a calorie deficit of 1,000 each day ... not possible for "smaller" people to do in a healthy manner
  • punkypants
    Options
    if i start out with 1600 cal a day, by what MFP gives me and i knock that number down myself to 1200 a day is that going to make my body hold onto the fat because im not getting "enough" calories? thats what my family is telling me. I dont want to lose it too fast because i dont want to gain it all back but i would love to see a difference
  • punkypants
    Options
    im 216.6lbs right now and my overall goal is 150lbs my short term goal is 20lbs for now
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    if i start out with 1600 cal a day, by what MFP gives me and i knock that number down myself to 1200 a day is that going to make my body hold onto the fat because im not getting "enough" calories? thats what my family is telling me. I dont want to lose it too fast because i dont want to gain it all back but i would love to see a difference

1200 calories NET is as low as anyone should go; it's close to my number @ 5'5" .... 145 pounds. Look for your BMR (basal metabolic rate) .... if it's 1600 .... then don't go below that. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

The NET number means you eat your exercise calories back. Example: Eat 1800 calories .... less exercise 600 = 1200 calories NET. Just be careful your exercise calories are not overstated (MFP & machines are often way over).

Less than 1200 - this will not cause "starvation mode" ..... starvation mode is grossly exagerated. What happens instead ..... your body uses existing muscle mass for fuel. This means the weight you lose will consist of fat & muscle.
  • babyxblue101
    Options
    your fine as long as your eating healthy :) usually when people first start losing weight (at least for me) the weight comes off pretty easily and fast. just because your making a lot of changes to your life style. but once your body gets used to them, you should stick to losing a steady 1 to 2 pounds a week. keep up the great work!
  • joramaker
    joramaker Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    bump