FITBIT - Why are the cal burned not the same on MFP

My Fitbit indicates I burned 782 on MFP is indicates like 127 adjustment. What does that mean? What is accurate?

Thanks..

Replies

• sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    If for example you had you activity level set to sedentary, and MFP assumes you burn 2000 a day without activity.

You link your fitbit and actually burn 2200 that day. MFP will adjust your burn by 200 calories, as you burned 200 calories more than it estimated. It will also change the more you sync, the last reading of the day will be the most accurate. Make sense?
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    I just got my fitbit yesterday and I am also seeing issues with calories syncing up.
    I have set both time zones to BST (MFP only has GMT and doesn't seem to have taken into account DST)

I have just synched up - yet my calorie count on FB is: 1341 (including logging a reebok step session I did earlier this morning) and on MFP I am only "credited" with 64 calories...

I am hoping as I get the hang of this it will settle down a bit... but not sure what I am doing wrong, if anything.
  • immarungirl
    immarungirl Posts: 35 Member
    Sweebum thank you, it makes a little more sense. Just just wear it all day and it should balance out at the of the day? It is just frustrating when you work out and only see a few calories burned.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    I don't have a fitbit, but I would suspect you have your MFP set to something other than sedentary. Then the MFP value would already include some exercise so the FitBit would likely only adjust the value if it was more than what MFP assumed you'd be doing.
  • rfsatar
    My MFP is set to sedentary.
    Now it has removed the adjustment altogether...
    so on FB I am showing 1341 calories burned for the day (!)
    and on MFP I am showing a -660 deficit ...

I don't get this.
  • rfsatar
    OK I think I am getting the hang of it...
    I now record any specific activity I want to have calories counted for (so an hour and a half in town this morning, for example).
    I take a quick reading before I stop the clock, and enter the exercise in MFP with that reading.
    Fitbit logs it as an activity record (and somehow adds a couple of calories - feel the burn in synchornisation, obviously!)
    2 or 3 cals here or there is fine.

I noticed just now that there was an initial Fitbit calorie adjustment of 93 in MFP, just after I did a sync to the FB dashboard but after I entered the activity - that went - so I think I understand how it does it's variable adjustments throughout the day.

I am off out for a late lunch and vino in the sun so I have put in a generic entry for a full third of my usual calorie intake as it's home-cooked Phillipino food I am having (yum).

BUT - I will record the day's commute and see what it comes to when I get home.

I am LOVING this site - the database is so comprehensive and the recipe function is just brilliant.