Strength Training - machines before free weights?

Options
I really wanted to incorporate strength training into my routine, but because I don't have much experience, I wanted to a) build my strength up before hitting the free weights and b) get someone to show me proper form and check mine before I do it alone. Am I just being silly, or are machines effective enough (especially for someone who has little experience) that I should be OK for now?

Just so have an idea of what I'm doing now, this is my strength exercise log from yesterday. (You'll see doubled up exercises because I went to the gym in the morning, and then came back for another 45 minutes in the afternoon)
tumblr_m8juqcV2Kd1qmv91v.png

Replies

• iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'd say ditch the machines and move over to the free weights.
    You will build strength either way, start out low, find a routine you like and go through it with a trainer/gym staff. Let them show you the right form, you can watch youtube videos to see a few tips and tricks (you can try x rippetoe, should bring you to a "how to video"). However, it is all personal preferebce. I only use free weights myself. :wink:
  • racerscottw227
    Options
    Machines are horrible. Machines work only one muscle at a time, while free weights work many muscles. So if you do machines you will be neglecting much of your body.
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    The problem with the many many council gyms in the UK, they simply don't have free weights incase you injure and claim, so its machines only.
  • logicandlove
    logicandlove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I know machines don't work as many muscle groups simultaneously as free weights do, but I'm completely broke right now (finally got a job after 4 months of being unemployed) so I can't afford a trainer just yet, and I don't trust myself alone. The only reason I have a gym is because my school's gym is huge and well-equipped. Also it doesn't help that the free weight room at ASU is literally crawling with bros.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com is a free site for you to learn how to do basic moves with free weights. Pratice at home with no weights so you will be prepared when you go to the gym :-)