overdoing it?

Options
QUESTION - lately, half way through my workouts, my abs start cramping. when I stop and rest a minute/take a sip of water, it usually just gets worse. I've been "powering" through it, trying to take it easy on my abs but still work the rest of my muscles, but I don't understand the cramps.

any ideas?

Replies

• TriThreat
    TriThreat Posts: 313
    Options
    bump ;)
  • FFwannabe
    Options
    Is it only during ab workouts?
  • rbl1225
    rbl1225 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I usually get that feeling in my leg and only one leg. Have you tried heating and icing it? I would do heat before a workout and ice after. If you get them relaxed before a workout sometimes it helps. Hope you figure out whats going on!
  • TriThreat
    Options
    Is it only during ab workouts?

Usually if I start to really engage my abs, then it happens. I'm not doing anything ridiculously strenuous (I do standing ab work, so standing crunches and different dance moves)
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    >having a work out day just for abs
    >I seriously hope you don't do this

Does no one know that the body needs to be challenged all over and not just the abs. That having an "ab day" is MAYBE only necessary if you are are PRO body builder...
  • TriThreat
    Options
    >having a work out day just for abs
    >I seriously hope you don't do this

Does no one know that the body needs to be challenged all over and not just the abs. That having an "ab day" is MAYBE only necessary if you are are PRO body builder...

Oh, no no no no, not just a workout day for my abs, that would be ridiculous!

I do a total body workout. But my usual routine ends up where I work my abs in the "middle" of my workout. (I'm a bit of a creature of habit) So I start with warming up, doing some cardio dance, then standing ab work, and then usually work my legs.

I drink from the water fountain at the gym though when I work out, and someone just told me that cold water isn't good for you during workouts? this is true?
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    No its not true at all, unless you are drinking a gallon, or your butt is super sweaty and that person didn't want to see that.

People also say you lose more weight drinking cold water because your body has to heat the water up to body temperature, but that would only equate to a calorie so minimal it isn't even worth counting.
  • racerscottw227
    Options
    I've always been told that drinking cold water after doing something strenuous (eg: running two miles outside in the middle of the summer) then immediately drinking ice cold water while your heart is still racing can send you into shock. But just regular cold water has never effected me.
  • TriThreat
    Options
    *sigh* well that's the only thing I can think of that I do in between sessions ... guess I'm back to square one Lol maybe just trying some different exercises will help
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Could, um, could it be a .... coregasm?
  • nickmast78
    Options
    What is your workout schedule during the week? Are you allowing your body ample time to rest?
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    try something like gatorade or something with potassium I have heard this prevents cramps.
  • BeckyLiu38
    Options
    How long have you been working out? If you have gone from being sedentary to working out its possible that your ab muscles aren't used to being used and are depleting their nutrient stores quickly. As the body becomes accustomed to the workouts and the blood replaces the nutrients more regularly you might find that that doesn't happen anymore. i don't know if this is what is happening in your case but it was the first thing I thought of that really seemed to apply to your situation. Hope this helps.

The other thing I might try if I were you is creating a circuit of sorts? I think if you alternated the exercises legs/core/arms/legs/core/arms etc you would give each group a recovery period but yet be able to continuously work out.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    No its not true at all, unless you are drinking a gallon, or your butt is super sweaty and that person didn't want to see that.

I don't drink from water fountains because of this... :embarassed: LOL When I use the bike, my booty sweats. Booty sweat isn't cool at all.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    try something like gatorade or something with potassium I have heard this prevents cramps.

I have heard potassium reduces cramps also. Not sure how true it is, but hey... bananas are yummy and they have potassium... so I like to eat bananas and I don't cramp often! :D
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Does it feel like a muscle cramp or like a side stitch? For muscle cramp, I'd go with the potassium (banana, coconut water, etc). For side stitch, I'd try not eating/drinking too close to when you begin your workout. I've heard debate that that's a myth but for me, if I eat or drink right before, I get a side stitch.
  • anrieken
    Options
    Have you ever been pregnant? I have the same issue when I stretch sometimes, but usually not working my core. I was talking about it with a friend once who has the same issue and both of us started seeing the issue after pregnancy.
  • skinnymini_wannabe
    Options
    Instead of eating a banana, try spinach. It has more potassium than a banana and wayy less sugar which could also hurt you during workouts.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    What you're describing could just be overwork, could be a cramp due to fluid/electrolyte imbalance, or could be what experts call ETAP or exercise-related transient abdominal pain.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1724690/pdf/v037p00287.pdf

I have this problem sometimes. It's what us mortals call it a "stitch in your side". It's fairly common, but I don't think we really know exactly why it happens or what to do to avoid it. Some various suggestions that may or may not work for you:

Try laying off the ab work for a bit to see if it goes away. You could just be overdoing it as you suggested.

Drink more fluid as hydration helps prevent cramping

Switch to something like Gatorade or Powerade instead of just water. If you are losing sufficient electrolytes, this can also cause cramping

Eat a banana prior to your workout to increase your potassium level

Alternately, avoid eating within an hour of your workout.

Focus on breathing better. There is some indication that poor breathing could also cause this.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    *sigh* well that's the only thing I can think of that I do in between sessions ... guess I'm back to square one Lol maybe just trying some different exercises will help

I highly doubt it's the water. From the sounds of it, you're over-working your abs and not letting them recover. Essentially, while they're still healing from your previous workout, you hit them again, and they're trying to tell you to knock it off - and from the pain you're describing, it's 'damaged' pain you're feeling, not lactic acid pain, which it's fine to work through. You're abs are still damaged from your previous workout, and they need more rest.

Are you doing this routine every day? If so, I guarantee you need more recovery time between ab workouts. Even every 2 days is too much for smaller muscles like your abs. I don't know how hard you're hitting them, but in general, you need at least 2 full days off before working any muscle group again (so that would be working out again on the third day: Mon: workout, Tues: rest, Wed: rest, Thurs: workout)

Recover is _as important_ as the exercise itself!!!