Has anyone had to have surgery in their weightloss journey?

Options
So, I just found out that I need to have surgery. It's scheduled for 9-24-2012. The nurse just told me that I can't exercise for 4 to 6 weeks. The thought did cross my mind to postpone, but I really need the surgery so I'd better just go ahead and get it over with.
I just thought if anyone has been thru the same thing and could share their story it might make me feel a little better.

Thanks,
Cindy

Replies

• kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I haven't personally, but have had patients who have. You will be able to walk, and will most likely be encouraged to do so no matter what surgery it is. May not be at "exercise" levels, it will be activity. Make sure your diet stays very healthy to promote healing and follow doctor's orders. Ask specific questions about what is "allowed" and "not allowed." You may be able to be more active than you are thinking.
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    A part of being healthy is making sure your body works properly. If this surgery is important - do what the doctor says and ease up for a few weeks! You can still watch what you eat, maybe some on some slow walks or swimming if that is ok by your doctor, and just get back to it after you've healed! Hope all goes well!
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I haven't personally, but have had patients who have. You will be able to walk, and will most likely be encouraged to do so no matter what surgery it is. May not be at "exercise" levels, it will be activity. Make sure your diet stays very healthy to promote healing and follow doctor's orders. Ask specific questions about what is "allowed" and "not allowed." You may be able to be more active than you are thinking.

Great advice!
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I got an umbilical hernia on January 27th and I had to have it repaired but was told I couldn't lift more than 30lbs until after surgery. Now, the restrictions didn't say anything about running, so at the beginning of March I started running. I continued for a month and they finally did my surgery on March 30th. I had two weeks where I couldn't even go to work, then two weeks where I could work but had a serious lifting profile. On May 1st, I was back to running. I waited a couple extra months before I started lifting again, just to be safe.

I went from running 5 miles to work easily on March 29th, then I had four weeks off, and on May 2nd I could barely make it a mile! It was terrible. It took a few weeks to get back to where I was once I started up again
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Hi Cindy,

After I had my daughter and had started losing weight - down 25 lbs when I had the surgery - I ended up having hernia repair for five hernia's in my stomach. Needless to say, my entire stomach is a "mesh mess". I was not allowed to drive for three weeks and was off work for eight weeks not being allowed to lift ANYTHING. It was difficult with a 1.5 yr old & a husband who traveled all the time for his job. Once I healed, I was able to kick-butt treadmiling 3-4 hours a day & lost another 40 lbs and kept if off four six years. Then I had more medical issues, life issues and gained about 75 lbs in two years. I am GLAD I had the surgery because I was in so much pain with the hernia's. Just get yourself int the right mindset, knowing that when you're better you can get back into the swing of things. While you're recovering, I'd say make sure you try to track your food so you can still stay on track with your calories! Good luck.
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I had knee surgery in November and I have to say I did put weight back on. My activity was severely limited (obviously!) - I wasn't even allowed into a pool for the first 3 weeks. Cardio is the only thing that keeps me sane so I started to get a bit depressed 6 weeks in and wasn't faithful about eating properly. I don't say this to be discouraging, just so you'll be aware it happens to some people. You can definitely maintain where you are right now, and even lose more through diet alone. I decided to just not worry about it while I was recuperating though. I had enough other stress just healing without panicking about the scale going up.

I was 0 exercise for 4 weeks, severely limited for another 3 months ( PT 2x a week, 10 minutes max on a recumbent bike, and lap swimming only), and then slowly adding in other things for one more month - 4 months all together. I put 20 lbs back on over those 4 months.

The good news is that once I got fully cleared for normal activity and was able to start putting normal exercise back into my daily routine, my mood lifted and I got right back to it. I have since lost those 20 lbs plus another 5 and am about 10lbs away from my goal. Surgery was just a bump in the road.

Bug your DR and your PT if you get sent to one and ask very specific questions on what you ARE allowed to do, and for how long per day, what you AREN'T allowed to do, and how long it will be until you can do those things. I seriously started bugging my PT 7 days after surgery about when could I get in the pool. and then at 4 weeks, started asking about the elliptical as an alternative to recumbent bike.

Good luck!
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I broke both feet.. The left one required surgery and a screw placed and the right one (12 months later) was fractured. With the first I was out for 10 weeks for just walking and it took months to get back on the workout routine, the 2nd fracture I was out 6 weeks and now am 10 weeks back and am just now where I was when I injured my foot in terms of endurance. So very frustrating.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I had a bowel obstruction last year and had emergency surgery February 2011. Right after the surgery I felt like I was never going to feel good enough to work out ever again. But I just followed my doctor's orders, took it one small step at a time, and by summer I was back to full strength!
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Exercise isnt the only way to lose weight. You can still watch what you eat
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I had a fusion of my PIP joint on my right little finger on August 1st. Arm is in a cast until the 16th and I am not allowed to get it wet. It really depends on the type of surgery. Right now physically I know I could do cardio and strength training on legs and core. BUT the doctor said not to sweat. He said if I could do those activities without sweating it would be OK. Fortunately the cast will come off in six days and I already have a training session booked. If it is any comfort, the trainer did tell me it would not take long to regain anything I lost in the two week time period. Good luck!
  • cinnycinda
    cinnycinda Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone...I guess I have to just do what the doctor says and take it easy. I'm having one of those bladder slings done. My bladder is falling and I think it will only get worse as I get older. But, although I really don't want to go thru the surgery, I really can't wait to benefit from the results. I gained like 80 pounds when I was pregnant and the doc says that's what caused it. I hope it's not too painful !
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone...I guess I have to just do what the doctor says and take it easy. I'm having one of those bladder slings done. My bladder is falling and I think it will only get worse as I get older. But, although I really don't want to go thru the surgery, I really can't wait to benefit from the results. I gained like 80 pounds when I was pregnant and the doc says that's what caused it. I hope it's not too painful !

Been there, done that. Best procedure ever invented! Improved my quality of life tremendously. I had mine quite a few years ago, but I seem to remember a lifting restriction for maybe 2-4 weeks (10 or 20 pounds), but was able to walk decent distances within a week or so. It might have had to be on fairly flat ground. Almost no pain. Took some ibuprophen a couple times the day of surgery and the next morning. Might have needed it one more time.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I realize this is an older post, but wanted to add my comments anyway. I just had a mini sling procedure/surgery in December 2012 and am now a week away from exercise again. I have gained 3 pounds (Christmas didn't help with temptation), but I'm not super worred, I am happy with the results so far and know that this will impact every aspect of my life in a positive way. My bladder issues held me back and certainly didn't help with my progress-I feel strongly that this year is going to be a successful journey towards fitness and look forward to next week and running again.