strength training-do you log?

Options
Since MFP doesn't give you credit for strength training, do you still log it??

i am starting a bob harper dvd called PURE BURN-SUPER STRENGTH

the first work out to start off is a beginner session:

WEIGHTED SUMO SQUATS
BICEP CURLS
TRICEP EXTENSIONS
TRICEP KICK BACKS
ALTERNATING LUNGES
FRONT , LATERAL AND POSTERIOR RAISES
SHOULDER COMBO-RAISING
DEADLIFTS
BENT OVER WIDE ROW
PUSH UPS
PLANK
CRUNCHES
CRUNCHES WITH LEG LIFTED

I guess i would just have to enter all the reps for this?? or since it doesn't give me credit, do i need to bother logging it at all?????

Replies

• tinytoyjess
    tinytoyjess Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert but I *think* you can add "strength training" in the cardio section to have MFP estimate calories burned for a certain duration. Or I suppose you could wear a HRM during the dvd and then plug in your calories burned according to that. But in the cardio section instead of the strength section.
  • Bighank7752
    Options
    If you maintain a good pace in the workout. You can log it as circuit training.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    i log the cals as cardio

i keep a separate spreadsheet logging the specific exercises
  • thohnfit
    Options
    I agree. I add it with minutes under strength training the cardio section. Not 100% accurate but at least it gives you some well deserved calories for your work out!
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I just wear my HRM and enter the cals that way
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    No. I'll put what I did in the exercise notes but I don't use the "cardio-strength training" option because I don't see how it could possibly be correct as far as the calorie burn goes and I think it gives people a false sense of burn.
  • tinytoyjess
    Options
    I don't see how it could possibly be correct as far as the calorie burn goes

Well, if you're wearing a HRM it would be pretty accurate. And she's talking about a DVD, not lifting at the gym while taking breaks, etc. I imagine the Bob DVD is pretty face paced and keeps her heart rate relatively high.
  • Mrshunts
    Mrshunts Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    ok thanks all.....:flowerforyou:
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    HRMs overestimate calories burned for strength training. The strength training entry under cardio here is the best option.

From sparkpeople.com:

A heart rate monitor (HRM) is capable of estimating calorie burn pretty accurately—but only for aerobic (cardio) exercise, not for strength training. Here's why:

A HRM won't give you an accurate idea of how many calories you burn during strength training, because the relationship between heart rate and calorie expenditure is not the same during strength training as during cardio exercise, which is what the HRM's estimate is based on. Unless your weight training is very vigorous circuit training, the heart rate monitor will be overestimating your calorie burn by a fair amount.

The problem is a technical one. Calorie burning isn't determined by heart rate, it's determined by the number of muscle cells that are activated to perform a given activity. It's the working cells that actually use the energy (calories) and consume oxygen. When working muscle cells need more energy and oxygen, your heart rate goes up to deliver these things to the cells via the blood stream.

Any muscle that performs a high intensity or maximum effort (strength training) will trigger an increase in heart rate and blood flow. But if only a single muscle group is on the receiving end to utilize that extra oxygen (doing a strength exercise that isolates your biceps, for example), only a relatively small amount of oxygen (and calories) will actually be consumed.

So while a series of strength training exercises may elevate your heart rate like aerobic exercise does, you're not actually using as much oxygen and burning as many calories as you would be if you were steadily using several large muscles all at once, as when walking, running, swimming, or doing aerobics for example.

The heart rate monitor doesn’t know whether your increase in heart rate is due to several large muscle groups working (cardio), an isolated muscle group lifting a weight (strength training), or even if adrenaline or excitement is increasing your heart rate. It just knows your heart rate, and the formulas it uses to estimate calories are based on studies of aerobic exercise, not other activities. So, it's going to overestimate your calorie expenditure when the rise in heart rate is stimulated by using isolated muscles at maximum intensity, which is what occurs during strength training.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I just don't log mine. I just consider it part of the extra wiggle room for my calorie goals and not feeling guilty when I want to go over my goals.
  • JCKKB374
    JCKKB374 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't do strength training enough yet so I am not logging it....but I think you SHOULD be able to log it as circuit training for the number of minutes of the video.
  • tinytoyjess
    Options
    Interesting. I"ll keep this in mind.

That said, Bob's video that the OP is talking about seems kinda intense. Check out the description and comments on Amazon for it. It's advertised as including cardio. There is a video sample there too and it looks fast.
    HRMs overestimate calories burned for strength training. The strength training entry under cardio here is the best option.

From sparkpeople.com:

A heart rate monitor (HRM) is capable of estimating calorie burn pretty accurately—but only for aerobic (cardio) exercise, not for strength training. Here's why:

A HRM won't give you an accurate idea of how many calories you burn during strength training, because the relationship between heart rate and calorie expenditure is not the same during strength training as during cardio exercise, which is what the HRM's estimate is based on. Unless your weight training is very vigorous circuit training, the heart rate monitor will be overestimating your calorie burn by a fair amount.

The problem is a technical one. Calorie burning isn't determined by heart rate, it's determined by the number of muscle cells that are activated to perform a given activity. It's the working cells that actually use the energy (calories) and consume oxygen. When working muscle cells need more energy and oxygen, your heart rate goes up to deliver these things to the cells via the blood stream.

Any muscle that performs a high intensity or maximum effort (strength training) will trigger an increase in heart rate and blood flow. But if only a single muscle group is on the receiving end to utilize that extra oxygen (doing a strength exercise that isolates your biceps, for example), only a relatively small amount of oxygen (and calories) will actually be consumed.

So while a series of strength training exercises may elevate your heart rate like aerobic exercise does, you're not actually using as much oxygen and burning as many calories as you would be if you were steadily using several large muscles all at once, as when walking, running, swimming, or doing aerobics for example.

The heart rate monitor doesn’t know whether your increase in heart rate is due to several large muscle groups working (cardio), an isolated muscle group lifting a weight (strength training), or even if adrenaline or excitement is increasing your heart rate. It just knows your heart rate, and the formulas it uses to estimate calories are based on studies of aerobic exercise, not other activities. So, it's going to overestimate your calorie expenditure when the rise in heart rate is stimulated by using isolated muscles at maximum intensity, which is what occurs during strength training.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I log the minutes under cardio to get the calories. Then under strength I log each strength exercise I do so I can keep track. Good Luck to you !!!