Not sure what I'm doing wrong...but it's not working!

Options
So I have been trying to lose 10-15 lbs ever since I got married 3 1/2 years ago. I have tried every diet. High Protein, Vegetarian, Low Carb...even spent over $1000 on a personal nutritionist/trainer only to GAIN weight!

I am currently doing P90X (just finishing week 2). I am burning minimum of 300 calories each day, and I have reduced my caloric intake to 1200 calories per day. I eat breakfast, 1/2 protein shake after working out, lunch, snack, and dinner. (I eat every 2-3 hours, just like they tell you to do.) I eat NO bread, NO pasta, NO potatoes, NO fast food. Just lean meats (chicken and beef since I'm allergic to fish), fruits, veggies, and sometimes I will have dessert, but it's always PORTIONED out.

I use my food scale. I use my measuring cups. I do a food journal. I count every stinking calorie. I work out. I have had my thyroid checked (everything is "fine"). I have done EVERY SINGLE THING the "professionals" have told me to do.

Now...ask me how much I've lost since I got married? I have GAINED 15 pounds. I went from 132 to 148. Oh, guess that's 16 pounds!!!

Can ANYONE tell me what the heck I'm doing wrong, cuz no matter what I do, it's not working, and at this rate I'm getting really tired of trying.

Replies

• cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Try eating more fat. Despite what people say, it won't make you fat. Since you're not giving your body simple carbs, it needs another type of fuel. And especially if you get the "fat free" stuff, they're just laden with sugar so try cutting back on those. Check your sugar intake if you've haven't been keeping up with that.
  • kikikins23
    Options
    I agree--the body does need some fat in order to digest foods properly. I would also suggest increasing the water you drink and make sure you are "eliminating" by having enough fiber. And also don't always go by the scale! Take your measurements--it may take awhile to see the numbers go down because you are building muscle. I know we all want to see that number go down, but try to stay positive! Keep at it, keep your nutrition up, and you will see results soon!

I was in the same boat awhile ago. I noticed my clothes were fitting better and I had more muscle tone, but I was actually seeing the scale go up. I was so discouraged even though I was "seeing" results. The goal is to keep a positive mindset--your body listens to your mind and negative energy is not good for your goals! :) You're doing great!
  • sarahleeroy
    Options
    How long have you been CONSISTENTLY eating this amount and exercising? As in, sticking to it for more than a few weeks? If you have truly been consistent with this plan and have not lost any weight, then you're going to have to either eat less or exercise more. I agree with the above poster about eating more fats in the form of nuts and animal fat, not oils. Eat foods that are satisfying and taste good. Overall your diet sounds pretty good to me though.

Also, you say that you're eating every 2-3 hours. Are you really hungry every 2-3 hours? Eating when you're not hungry isn't good if you want to lose weight. If anything, a lot of research these days is saying that intermittent short fasting (12 hours or so) is better for losing weight than eating several times a day. For example, a lot of people in the fitness world will only eat between certain hours of the day like say between 2 pm and 10 pm. The reason is that if you are constantly giving yourself energy through food, then your body doesn't have to use up it's glycogen (fat) stores for energy, therefore not burning the fat you have.
  • GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I am going to say you might be eating too little! It seems like you might be netting about 900 calories a day, which is not good for you...
  • CaraMH
    CaraMH Posts: 4
    Options
    Actually I do eat fat. I stay away from those "low fat" options because like you said, they are full of sugar. I usually get my fats from nuts, nut butters, and olive oils.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary?
  • CaraMH
    CaraMH Posts: 4
    Options
    Let me clarify...when I say I eat every 2 -3 hours, it's not a huge meal! I might have a chicken breast and salad for lunch, then a few hours later eat an apple.

As for water...if I drink any more I might float away. I drink about 90 oz of water (approx 12 glasses) per day. And that doesn't include my 1 cup of coffee, my protein shakes, or my recovery drink (which is 5 calories per serving, and I use 1/2 a serving a day). Trust me when I say my bathroom and I are very acquainted! LOL I spend more time in there than most girls, and I don't wear makeup! LOL I can't even get through a 30 minute tv show without having to pee at least twice, and I don't sleep for more than 4 hours at a time at night because I keep waking up to pee.

As for fiber, according to my myfitnesspal numbers, I am OVER on fiber every single day. Between my oatmeal, my veggies, and my fruit, I know I have plenty of fiber.

SEE WHY I'M SO FRUSTRATED??? I am doing EVERYTHING everyone says.

Oh, and I do take my measurements, once per week. I know everyone says get rid of the scale. But how am I supposed to *kitten* my BMI and BF% if I don't know how much I weight???