Knee Problems After Running

Options
Okay guys. So I'm trying to start running because so many of y'all have inspired me to run. But I ran a little over half a mile yesterday and then my knee started hurting really bad (it still hurts this morning). So I was wondering how did you start off running, since I know most of us can't just start off running 3 miles with no problem?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    When I started running I could barely get around the block.

I started off with just walking and added running for a minute followed by a walk break, then running for 2 minutes followed by walking etc until I could run for about 10 min with out stopping and the gradually built it up from there. I ran my first 5K in Sept 2009 and this Sept will be running my 4th half-marathon.

The key is consistency (getting out 3 or 4 times per week) and building up your distances very gradually - it takes time for your body to adapt to any new activity.

Take care of your knee (a bit of ice and rest will probably help). You may be surprised that most knee pain actually has nothing to do with your knees - it's often related to your hips & glutes (check out runnersworld.com for some specific exercises that can help prevent injuries - there's lots of great information out there for free)

Good luck with your running.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Follow a run/walk programme that gradually increasing the time you run like Couch To %k (C25K). Here is is in its most basic form:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

And here are various apps and podcasts you can download:
    http://www.c25k.com/

Here are my beginner's running tips, some of them might help:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Bear in mind point one:
    When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!

You will get aches and pains – most aren’t worrying. The most common are pains along the front of the shins (shin splints) and aching knees. Rest, ice, take ibuprofen and start again easily when you’re ready. MOST of the time the pains are due to doing something your body isn’t used to, but do see a doctor for severe or long-term pain. Avoid making exaggerated heel landings to avoid the worst of beginner’s shin splints.
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Don't run on concrete. Find a track or a running path with a soft surface. Concrete is horrible for your knees if you're running. It's fine for walking.
  • SaltyNovice
    SaltyNovice Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When I started running I could barely get around the block.

I started off with just walking and added running for a minute followed by a walk break, then running for 2 minutes followed by walking etc until I could run for about 10 min with out stopping and the gradually built it up from there. I ran my first 5K in Sept 2009 and this Sept will be running my 4th half-marathon.

The key is consistency (getting out 3 or 4 times per week) and building up your distances very gradually - it takes time for your body to adapt to any new activity.

Take care of your knee (a bit of ice and rest will probably help). You may be surprised that most knee pain actually has nothing to do with your knees - it's often related to your hips & glutes (check out runnersworld.com for some specific exercises that can help prevent injuries - there's lots of great information out there for free)

Good luck with your running.

My experience has been very similar to the gentleman above. I walked for 2 to 3 weeks. I think I got where I could walk 2 - 3 miles and got bored with the pace. I started running short distances followed by walking. It's been 3 months now and yesterday was my first 5 mile run without any stopping or walking. And yes my body goes through some strange feelings everytime I up my distance by 20% or more. Keep at it and take it slow.........listen to your body.........and you will be amazed at what you can do. I'm 55 yrs old and I'm still learning a great deal about all of this healthy body journey............I hope this helps a little. SaltyNovice
  • lindaamarie
    Options
    Thank y'all so much!! I will definitely keep all of this in mind when I run, the only thing I can't do is I don't have a running track where I live that isn't concrete.
  • jawheb
    Options
    Thank y'all so much!! I will definitely keep all of this in mind when I run, the only thing I can't do is I don't have a running track where I live that isn't concrete.
    I wish you could find someplace! I'll be 35 in a few days and I wished someone would have told me before. I can no longer run outside anymore. Stuck on elliptical now. Try adding some gel padding in your shoes, at least it will somewhat absorb the shock.
  • Runchick262
    Runchick262 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner and have developed "Runner's Knee" I bought a $10 knee strap at my pharmacy and I wear it religiously now and NO more pain! If I forget to wear it, I'll instantly start feeling discomfort. I'd recommend trying it out. If it doesn't work, you're only out $10. Good luck!
  • jawheb
    Options
    I'm a runner and have developed "Runner's Knee" I bought a $10 knee strap at my pharmacy and I wear it religiously now and NO more pain! If I forget to wear it, I'll instantly start feeling discomfort. I'd recommend trying it out. If it doesn't work, you're only out $10. Good luck!
    So is it okay to use the strap even with the damage already there? Will it make it worse?
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Ge a GOOD pair of running shoes and some confy clothes. Any kind of irritation will be an excuse to stop and you don't want that. Start slow, just walk and then run. When I started, I'd challenge myself like I will run to the stop sign, then walk to catch my breath for a few seconds. Then it was I can run to the red mailbox, etc. make a game of it and challenge yourself. Eventually it will all work out for you and gradually it will increase your ability to run further. Have fun at it though.