Main dishes that wont break the bank or calorie bank

Options

Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Venison grill steaks - 18g of protein, some carbs and fat, but still pretty low.
    Then add 2 'bacon medalions' a low-cal cheese slice and some tomato/lettuce. I halve a slice of bread to put them on. Under 300 calories for a large burger-creation.

After having a total of about 450 calories for spending four and a half hours at indoor bouldering place, thought I deserved two lots.
    May not have been perfect for weight loss, but reckon a load of it should have gone towards repairing muscles etc :).

sounds nummy
  • meeper123
    Options
    Baked brown rice (Alton Brown's recipe) mixed with grilled chicken (usually just a simple oil/vinegar/mustard/salt/pepper marinade) and a salad made with local veggies and berries

A fifth of a batch of the rice + 4oz of grilled chicken breast + salad with a little bit of dressing will be about 400 calories

I am so going to try thistonight :D
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Skip breakfast/lunch, feast on dinner
  • meeper123
    Options
    Did you have any starch?

no starch but i could I suppose lol
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Salmon, rice, broc.
    Can of tomato sauce, spices, three veggies, browned ground beef/turkey/chicken, rice.

I have lots. Message me if you want.
  • meeper123
    Options
    Skip breakfast/lunch, feast on dinner

Thats what my hubby does if i try it i get so hungery I eat bad things so I keep my meals during the day under 200 cals and eat a decent dinner ( just starting off though )
  • meeper123
    Options
    Salmon, rice, broc.
    Can of tomato sauce, spices, three veggies, browned ground beef/turkey/chicken, rice.

I have lots. Message me if you want.

ok sweet
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    This is great! And only 300cals

Cajun chicken with sweet potato wedges & avocado salad 300cals
    • Serves 2
    • 10 min
    • 45 min
    • 300 Cal
    • 3/5
    Spices are such a great way to add flavour and variety to dishes, without adding unnecessary calories. A simple chicken breast can taste so different just by varying the spices used. Say goodbye to bland, tough old chooks, spice things up…in the kitchen I mean!!!
    Here I use the powerful cajun spice, which goes beautifully with chicken and sweet potato. Enjoy!
    Method
    Preheat oven to 200C.(392 F)
    Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Place the sweet potato wedges on one tray and lightly spray with oil spray.
    Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and crisp.
    Coat the chicken breast in the spice mix. Place the chicken breast on the remaining tray.
    Lightly spray with oil spray. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and just cooked through.
    Meanwhile, combine the cherry tomatoes, avocado and spinach leaves in a small bowl.
    Cut the chicken into slices. Divide the sweet potato wedges, chicken and avocado salad among serving plates. Serve with lemon or lime wedges.

Ingredients
    • 400g (14oz) small sweet potato, peeled, cut into wedges
    • 1 × 200g (7oz) chicken breast fillet
    • 1 teaspoon Cajun spice mix
    • 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
    • 1/2 small avocado, chopped
    • 100 g baby spinach leaves
    • Lemon or lime wedges, to serve

Bump as this sounds delicious!
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I want to try this:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/skinny_beef_lasagneta_87277
    Also wondered if you could make leeks in to a tagliatelle style substitute.

On the venison - anyone know any good sources for venison products (or other like Kangaroo etc) which are low in fat, but not too silly expensive? In the UK.

Try Sainsburys or M&S. One of my friends on here has venison burgers all the time I just can't remember which one it was from!
  • meeper123
    Options
    :D yummy
  • amrita0286
    Options
    for me it's steamed veggies or I love soups and salads.
    soups always fill me up and they have alot now which are low in calories.
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    Actually just entered this one for this evenings dinner. Rice Bowl with Protein and Veggies. Super flexible, filling and tasty.

Swap Brown Rice for Quinoa or other whole grain of your choice
    Swap Shrimp with Protein of your choice
    Swap veggies with your veggies of choice

Sweet Peas, 1 cup
    Birds Eye - Steamfresh Singles - Super Sweet Corn, No sauce, 92 g (1 single)
    Garlic - Raw, 1 tsp (add more if you'd like)
    Chicken of the Sea - Premium Cooked Shrimp, 9 oz (Need extra Protein tonight to hit my macros)
    Oil - Olive, 1 tsp
    Whole Grain Brown Rice, 1 cup cooked
    Low Sodium Chicken Broth (or Veggie or Beef whatever suits your taste)...Add this to taste, I usually use about 1/4 cup

Calories: 594; Carbs: 64g; Fat: 10g; Protein: 64g

1) Cook rice
    2) Saute rest of ingredients holding back the Broth until the final step
    3) Combine all ingredients and simmer until broth is absorbed

This is a VERY large serving which you could easily make 2 servings out of it. I'm a 2,500 Calorie/day individual so will eat it all! :bigsmile:
  • laurenmdaley
    laurenmdaley Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Turkey Taco Salad...my favorite!

a couple cups of romain
    ground turkey cooked with taco seasoning (buy it or make your own for less sodium)
    then really whatever you want for toppings, I usually do something like:

black beans
    hot salsa
    light sour cream
    grilled or roasted corn
    hot peppers

so so so good. Not super light in calories, but around the 550ish mark and really filling!
  • charitas32
    Options
    I want to try this:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/skinny_beef_lasagneta_87277
    Also wondered if you could make leeks in to a tagliatelle style substitute.

On the venison - anyone know any good sources for venison products (or other like Kangaroo etc) which are low in fat, but not too silly expensive? In the UK.

If you live in North/north west Booths supermarket stocks quite a lot of venison, the quality of their meat is pretty good and they often run the 5 for £15 offer. Thier butchers are pretty helpful too
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,996 Member
    Options
    i liked go make taco salad with ground turkey you can add what you want or not put in things to keep cals down,

wraps, smart ones tortillas with hummus or laughing cow with tomatoe, sprouts, avocado, peppercini, basil, red bell pepper, yum you can add turkey too if you want
  • karenechurch
    Options
    I make a yummy quick tuna casserole for one:

3/4 cup whole grain rotini pasta, boil untill they are almost done

throw in 2/3 cup frozen peas, cook a little longer, drain

mix in 1/4 cup tuna and 1 tbs light mayo

only 355 calories, and very filling
  • jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    - Homemade Bean Burritos (I use Low cal Tortillas, vegetarian Beans, mix salsa and fresh white onion in with beans)
    - Bone in Chicken Thighs with BBQ sauce (careful with the BBQ Sauce purchase, cals can vary BIG TIME between brands)
    - Ground Turkey with Black Beans, Corn, Salsa, Cumin and Chili Powder mixed together. Use a couple of Tortilla Chips for crunch
    - Lean Pork or Steak (or Tukey Meatballs) roasted in an oven over Carrots, Peas and Corn, add Potatoes too, if you have the cal room. No oil needed.
    - Homemade Pizza (Pillsbury thin pizza crust may have less calories than making your own crust at home + no meats, use a white cheese)
    - Giant Main course Salad (Use leftover veggies in other meals or take for lunch/snack)

Pretty much anything can be made lower calorie if you find a way to omit or LARGELY reduce the pasta, rice, bread or potato from it. Any foods that you like to make can be made low cal. I even figured out a strategy the other day for making Beef Stroganoff at ONE-THIRD the calorie count of my original recipe.
  • DanceInTheRain77
    DanceInTheRain77 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • charlena48
    charlena48 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Homemade vegetable soup with fresh and frozen vegetables and ground turkey breast instead of beef.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Whole chicken ($5), slow-cooked until meat falls off the bone, shred chicken and either eat on a bed of greens (maybe $2), mix with some barbeque sauce ($2), or just nibble at the meat with breakfasts or lunches.
    Beans!! Find a bag of dried black beans on sale ($1), cook them up with some onion or garlic and cumin. Day one, served over quinoa. Day 2, serve with brown rice and sauteed peppers in a tortilla. Incredibly versatile, and cheap!
    Spaghetti squash with red sauce and ground turkey.
    Eggs, so many things you can do!