Will my ribs go down if I loose weight?

Options
I just started doing exercise, the only that is scaring me is when I do become skinner will my ribs go down? right now they just blend in with my stomach (if you know what I mean)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Not a clue what u mean!!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Your ribs are bone. They don't change a whole lot as an adult.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Not a clue what u mean!!

Ditto
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    huh?

Are you afraid your ribs are going to stick out? Your ribs aren't going to change if you lose weight.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Go down where??
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Where are your ribs now?
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Yeah, but if you are carrying extra fat around your rib cage, the size of your rib cage will shrink as you lose weight. It happened to me. A lot of women experience this as their bra brand becoming too big (i.e. going down a number in their bra size).
  • Cazzy34
    Cazzy34 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Do they kinda flare out at the bottom? Have you had any kids?

Mine flare out but thats because i have had 3 big babies and i am only 5'2" lol Unfortunately even at my smallest my ribs still stick out! :(

I am guessing this is what you mean by them going down? So NO I doubt they will change! x
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    If you mean that right now you can't tell where your ribs end and your stomach starts then your "ribs won't go down" but the fat over the ribs will come off as will the stomach so you will see more definition in that area?
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Where would they go? I'm confused.
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options

Yeah, but if you are carrying extra fat around your rib cage, the size of your rib cage will shrink as you lose weight. It happened to me. A lot of women experience this as their bra brand becoming too big (i.e. going down a number in their bra size).

Happened to me the same way. My rib cage seemed like it was big, but as I shrunk, I realized that it was just firmer there, and it did get "smaller"......
  • ToyaDianta
    Options
    Not a clue what u mean!!

ditto.
  • missfelicia6
    missfelicia6 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean!! I have this, from having kids. Mine blend in with my fat too.

The past few days though, it's starting to form the top of a six pack from exercise and strength.

I think they WILL go down, just keep working at it!
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Ribs are ribs are ribs...they are a cage that go around to protect your organs. They won`t shrink? They grow as you grow into an adult, then they stop growing and as you put on weight the fat around you gets more, but your rib cage will remain the same even when you lose fat.
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I think she's saying that she has a large frame?
    Your frame won't change no.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Maybe you are talking abdominal muscles and not ribs??
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    *uh huhuh huhuhu huhuhu* you said "go down"...uh huhu huhu huhuh...

beavis-butthead-beavis-and-butthead-28603665-364-284.gif
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options

Happened to me the same way. My rib cage seemed like it was big, but as I shrunk, I realized that it was just firmer there, and it did get "smaller"......

Same here, my ribs look like they stick out, but if you touch it, it's actually fat not bone. lol
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Im so glad you asked...I always wondered if I would end up looking odd because I feel bottom of my ribs stick out when I lose weight. This time I plan to find out, I'll let you know ;-)
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Yes they will. One of the first things, before fat, that you lose is your bones!