Can i eat what i want?

Options
So i need to no if i can eat anything i want as long as i dont eat over my 1200 cal in a day,:smile:

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    In theory, yes. Google the Twinkie Diet.

In reality, 1200 calories is generally considered the minimum anyone should eat, so it's really important you get excellent nutrition if you're going to have minimal calories.

By your profile, you only have 29 pounds you want to lose, so you should make sure your weekly goal is set to one pound a week. That would give you more calories to play with, and when you exercise, it adds more calories to your daily goal so you don't end up with too large of a deficit.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    You can, but not all calories are created equal. Some are referred to as empty cals. These give you no additional nutritional value. You can eat a more substantial diet if you pick your calories wisley.

Personaly I've never ruled anything out. Its all about moderation. A lifestyle change needs to be sustainable
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can eat anything you want. I found that eating a lot of vegetables helps to keep you full for very little calories, so you can have those foods you love--like chips. I don't eat "junk" food everyday, but you can. Although some will argue that it's what you eat that matters, that really has been disproven. What you eat matters as to how satisfied you might feel, but really doesn't effect your weight loss.

I generally eat on the 80/20 rule. 80% healthy, 20% fun.
  • Lauran845
    Lauran845 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Weightloss isn't magic and doesn't happen overnight, soooooo when you make choices you need to make sure you are making the healthiest choices you can so you can form new habits for the future when you have met your goal. Maintaining is very hard if you got there by starving yourself of nutrious food in the beginning. My point, just don't set yourself up for failure.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your goals are.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    If you start eating well, you will likely want to eat well going forward. Then, you can eat what you want AND get proper nutrition. Try making the change. If you keep doing what you've always been doing, you'll keep getting the same results.
  • Rayzback
    Rayzback Posts: 73
    Options
    Well, a Dairy Queen Large Choc. Chip Cookie Dough Blizzard is 1320 calories :{

I started MFP just tracking what I ate for a week and later automactically just started buying better things to meet my goal. Not sure how it happened actually, just glad it did :}
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    not if you want the best results
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I can never understand someone's motivation for asking this question? Curiosity? Science project? Or have they already decided ahead of time that they're just gonna eat crap. That's a terrible attitude....but for some people it's just a diet and others it's a healthy lifestyle change. To each his own.

Yes you can lose eating whatever you want as long as you stay in your calorie deficit.
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If you start eating well, you will likely want to eat well going forward. Then, you can eat what you want AND get proper nutrition. Try making the change. If you keep doing what you've always been doing, you'll keep getting the same results.

Eating healthy is the key here. It's not just about losing weight, it's also about making better choices.
  • tamtamzz
    tamtamzz Posts: 142
    Options
    Like someone said before, it truly depends on what your goals are.

If you just want to lose weight, and aren't really concerned about overall health, then yes, of course eat whatever you want but stay under your BMR.

If you want obtain good health, then yes, you can still eat what you want, but it will become difficult to for you to meet your macros and micros every day when you eat items with no nutritional value.

I guess it's safe to say that you can eat whatever you want, but how much and how often is the real question.
  • kristendaae1227
    Options
    Sure you could if you wanted to. But losing weight is a lifestyle change for most so you should learn to eat more healthy foods and limit junk foods without depriving yourself of them.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I can never understand someone's motivation for asking this question? Curiosity? Science project? Or have they already decided ahead of time that they're just gonna eat crap. That's a terrible attitude....but for some people it's just a diet and others it's a healthy lifestyle change. To each his own.

Yes you can lose eating whatever you want as long as you stay in your calorie deficit.

My dog eats crap all the time. She's in better shape than I am!
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Sure, but if you start really & honestly looking at what you are eating.... 1200 is under what some meals amount to. If it's fast food or a chain dinner, some of their meals are crazy high in cals.

So yeah, go ahead and waste your cals on a double cheeseburger and fries - just make sure you only eat 1200 cals worth and toss the rest away and only plan on 1 meal for the day...

If you make healthier choices for your 1200 cals, you can enjoy a lot of tasty food and eat alot more and feel full.

But the honest truth, yes you can eat what you want. No one but yourself will stop you.
  • Lima84
    Lima84 Posts: 2
    Options
    In theory yes but make good choices! What I love about this is that if you have a slice of cake you can still have a good day, however, you don't wanna eat 1200 cals of cake a day, make sense?? YOU CAN DO IT! After eating "right" for a week you will see that you're satisfied without the goodies we usually go to :)

GOOD LUCK!
  • sissyhager
    Options
    Well i have been eating dairy and i no that it is very fatning so i was gonna cut it out but i no i need it,i love cheese and yogert. and when i eat i feel like im eating to much at one sitting. i try to eat about 3 to 4 hundred cal every meal just to get all my cal in a day.
  • PinkEnvyx
    PinkEnvyx Posts: 172
    Options
    You would think so right. :happy:

It makes since to me that anything you put into your body effects it in some way so I personally think you CAN but you shouldn't . :tongue:
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    If you eat what you want and stay under the calorie limit you have set for yourself here, then you'll get automated messages from MyFitnessPal congratulating you on being under your calorie goal. And you will probably lose weight. But realistically, you're likely to feel healthier and more energetic if you've consumed more natural foods than if you've consumed junk food.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Well i have been eating dairy and i no that it is very fatning so i was gonna cut it out but i no i need it,i love cheese and yogert. and when i eat i feel like im eating to much at one sitting. i try to eat about 3 to 4 hundred cal every meal just to get all my cal in a day.

You don't need to arbitrarily cut any food group- no single type of food is fattening (with the possible exception of trans fats)- eating more calories than you burn is fattening. Having a dairy intolerance or ethical reason would be reasons to cut dairy- otherwise, it's a great way to get dietary fat and protein in your diet, especially since you enjoy it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

First, purge your brain of the idea that dietary fat equals body fat. It doesn't. Your body needs fat. If you have tolerance issues with dairy, you should avoid it, but there's nothing wrong with cheese and yogurt. Or ice cream, for that matter. And I have chocolate milk every night at bedtime.