Going over calorie limit

Options
Hi,

I'm 139 pounds, 5'4" and my goal weight is 125. I'm trying to stick to 1200 calories a day. For 2.5 weeks I've done this every day, never gone over but I have gone slightly under some days. I exercise 6 days a week for 30-60 mins per day.

My question is how much difference does it make if you go over your calorie limit just for one day? If I have eaten 1400 today, is it ok to eat 1000 tomorrow to level it out?

Thanks,

Jen

Replies

• Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising, you need to eat more than 1200 calories. You never ever eat less than 1200.
  • Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercise are you doing? How much are you burning in session about? You should not net less then 1200 calories so cutting it down to 1000 "level it out" is not a good plan.
  • jen_2286
    jen_2286 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I only go under by 50 at most, and not very often because the app gives me that angry message about not eating enough! :)

As for exercise - mostly cardio, some strength but I rarely put the strength exercises into the app.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have very similar goals. I'm 5' 4.5" and currently at 134 (started at 138). My goal weight is also 125. Honestly, I would not worry about eating 1400 calories one day. You could even it out by eating 1000 the next if you wanted to. There are people who sort of alternate between high calorie days and lower calorie days--I think they believe it somehow keeps their metabolism burning calories at a good rate--although I don't know if there is any science behind that. I hope that you mean that you eat 1200 calories plus whatever extra calories that you "earn" from exercise.
  • LovesDressage
    Options
    I would just go back on the plan the next day and move one. Eating less for a day could backfire; if you're so hungry from not eating enough that day you're using for make up, it seems you would be more likely to go off plan again. JMO
  • bohonomad
    bohonomad Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You'd probably be better sticking to exercise and just logging the 1400 every day. You'd still lose weight just not as quickly as opposed to possibly putting your body into starvation mode trying to level it off.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I LIVE over my limit. I feel like I've been great if I don't go over my more than 600 calories. My love for food is stronger than that red number.

Remember- calories are estimated... are you *really* over/under? Just food for thought :drinker:

(Unsolicited advice- leave the 1200 calorie world far, far behind)
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Normally, if I go over my calories, I exercise to bring the numbers back in the green. I don't really think it's ok to go under the 1,200 unless a doctor prescribes that to you
    Eat More = Exercise more
    Eat less = Eat more lol:laugh:
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You're undereating in the first place, the 1400 would do more good than harm.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Given that you don't have much to lose, you should be eating more than 1200 calories, unless you're 5 ft. tall. Your body needs more than that. My 2 1/2 and 3 year olds eat 1000-1200 calories a day.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4", 133, with a goal of 125. I am fairly sedentary and eat 1550 calories per day and losing .5-1 pound a week. Eat more!
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Don't worry so much about the daily calories, keep it under for the week, and you will be better off.
  • glowingcactus
    glowingcactus Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is a long term thing, not blown by what happens on one day. I average my calorie intake out over a week so if I go over one day then I go a bit less on following days. I have been losing weight like this since March
  • 9thwardchick
    9thwardchick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You should stick to the at least 1200 calories per day. I was eating less and it doesn't help, especially if you are exercising too. When I eat less calories and exercise, I'm weak and tired. When I reach my calorie goal for the day, I can feel a difference the next day.
  • Telugammayi87
    Telugammayi87 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is calorie cycling. Focus on a weekly calorie goal versus daily. I do this and it has broken a plateau for me!

You will be fine eating 1000 calories one or two days a week. Some people doing intermittent fasting eat ZERO calories in a 24 hour period.

If your goal is to average 1400/day, then take 1400 X 7 = 9800. break that up over 7 days

Example:

Mon- 1000
    Tues 1800
    Wed 1400
    Thurs 1000
    Fri 2000
    Sat 1100
    Sun 1500

I feel this is a more natural approach to weightloss. How natural is it to consume the exact number of calories every. single. day? Think about it.. If you weren't dieting and watching what you eat so closely, some days you just wouldn't feel like eating a lot, and other days you may want to gorge! See how you can have a 2000 calorie day in there? As long as you have a long term calorie deficit (500 calorie deficit per day for 7 days would be 1 pound lost!) then that's the most important!

EDIT: to add that I would consider looking at your BMR/TDEE and increasing your calorie intake because this could also speed up your weightloss. I went from consuming 1200 calories per day to 1960 (weekly average) and it's helped SO much!
  • BethlovesRene
    BethlovesRene Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4", 133, with a goal of 125. I am fairly sedentary and eat 1550 calories per day and losing .5-1 pound a week. Eat more!

This is good to hear!! I just jumped from the 1200/day to 1460 a day. What are you doing for exercise?
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary and I did not see any days where you went over your goal. The days you exercise you are supposed to eat more. Which is even more important for you since you are only eating 1200 on your non-exercise days. I think the highest I saw was a little over 1500 calories and that was on a day you burned over 300 in exercise. You definitely don't need to drop to 1000. Personally, I would up my calories. But, if you don't feel comfortable with that, don't. But, please don't go below that!
  • jen_2286
    jen_2286 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :)
  • womanofvalour
    womanofvalour Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This forum has been so helpful!!
  • izzygirl96
    Options
    Im 5'2 and i weigh 117.my goal weight is 110 and my calorie limit is 1200.i went over like 60 calories with excercise.i need to know if thats okay.i eat more because ive already been in starvtion mode and i dont want to go back to that.so is eating a little more than your calorie limit okay? Does it make much of a difference?