Anyone Healthy and doing exercise, Yoga, Meditation on regul

Options
I am healthy, fit and doing exercise on regular basis and I would like to do Yoga and meditation as well. I think that helps to keep up the motivation, moral ect. Thoughts?

Replies

• everytree
    everytree Posts: 127
    Options
    I do yoga although not as much as I would like to be able to due to my schedule and I love it. Keeps me focused and centered the stretch feels so good. I work out quite a bit and I love that it makes me feel out of shape - those shaking muscles keep me in check that there is still work to be done.

Give it a try!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Yoga is a part of my regular exercise routine, and the 'easy, breathe-y' kind is what I do on my rest day for stress relief. Regular yoga has been amazing for improving my flexibility, balance and strength as well.
  • Poroco
    Poroco Posts: 5
    Options
    I love yoga! I started practising seriously about 4 years ago because of lower back pain. It cured my back pain and the bonus is that it fixed my head too. I had a baby almost a year ago and continued to practice at an intermediate level until 7.5 months.

Now I have to do most of my yoga at home - and I must say it is only half as beneficial as in class with a proper instructor. A good yogi to guide will make the difference between just staying sane and reaching for self-actualization.

Good luck!
  • serhanilker
    Options
    All,

Thank you for your comments. Definatelly I'll try it, the only issue is the time!. Because I beleive that must be done on regular basis. I should find a proper instructor first. Any suggestion in Suffolk?
  • Poroco
    Poroco Posts: 5
    Options
    I am in Canada so my fantastic yogi will be of little use to you.

I recommend trying out the various options. Finding a yoga instructor is almost like dating. Some you will dislike immediately and others will look good off the start but turn out to be less than you expected. Find some classes, (you will usually find that instructors with their own studios are more reliable), and try them on.

If you are straight and single, you will love it. Men are always a big hit in my classes. Just be yourself and don't let them intimidate you. Newcomers, especially men, often get discouraged by the sometimes extreme flexibility of others. Don't. Yoga has a place for everyone from first-timer to life time practitioner.

Have fun!
  • ShawnDMuth
    ShawnDMuth Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Abraham-Hicks has a great mediation Cd called Getting in the Vortex
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I want to do yoga, but I am...oh wow. There is a new gym that just opened right down the street from me with a Groupon for unlimited yoga classes for a month. I think this is a sign. I wanna be able to do handstands by golly. :)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Do it. Even if you do just 5 minutes a day, you'll benefit. Also consider tai chi and chi kung/qi gong.
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I meditate and try to do it every day for stress reduction/stress control - you could try looking up Vipassana meditation and see if it is something that sounds like what you want to do.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I've done a few Yoga classes and they were nice because the instructor walked around and corrected my form if it was off. However, finding a class in my schedule is hard and the ones that doa fit are far to pricey for my budget so I do it at home!! Everyday I get in at least 20 minutes of Yoga! I really like the site DoYogaWithMe.com, they have a very nice variety of free videos and I absolutely love the Yoga for Runners videos they have and are just what I need aroung my 5am runs! :)
  • Brooke_26
    Brooke_26 Posts: 204
    Options
    I do yoga (I've done the ones in the classroom setting, and I've done the ones on the beach, sunrise yoga for instance ...highly recommend both of them)...Tonight I'm attending a sunset yoga class for the first time...the sound of the waves in the background is so calming. Some people "think" yoga isn't going to be hard at all, until they take a class, then they learn else wise. It is not only great for your body, but also an excellent way to "clear" your mind, "reset" yourself so to say...find that bit of peace on those hectic work days.

All the best to you...
  • Fit2morrow
    Fit2morrow Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    The idea of yoga is enticing - but in practice I am so inflexible it is an exercise in frustration. I've done months on end trying to increase my flexibility, with some improvement, but nowhere near enough for many yoga positions.
  • barmum
    barmum Posts: 73
    Options
    I'd try looking on http://www.bwy.org.uk/ for teachers because the right yoga teacher is great but some teachers can do more harm than good :/
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    The idea of yoga is enticing - but in practice I am so inflexible it is an exercise in frustration. I've done months on end trying to increase my flexibility, with some improvement, but nowhere near enough for many yoga positions.

yoga is less about being able to get fully into the positions, and more about breathing as you try to extend yourself just a little more than you have before. (and in theory, if we can extend this philosophy to the rest of our lives... we'll reduce our stress outside the yoga studio, too).