Stupid question...for those that do at home workouts...

Options
Do you wear your shoes when you do a at home work out? Is it bad for your feet, ankles etc if you do not?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Not a stupid question.

But there isn't really any one answer. Some people do, some people don't. I personally prefer to wear shoes for the support and so I won't slip around on the carpet.
  • Bus2012
    Bus2012 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It would depend on what you were doing (pilates no, kick boxing yes) but generally yes.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I don't.

I run on the treadmill barefoot and do all my strength training barefoot.
  • krissagray
    krissagray Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do it without shoes since I do high intesntiy stuff like insanity and turbo fire. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Brooks Pure Flow. On my second pair and I know I will continue to buy them for a long time. I got fitted for them because I was having a lot of pain due to a bunion (blah, I know) but these shoes REALLY help!
  • srhershey
    srhershey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It depends on the workout. If I'm dong the 30 Day Shred I'll wear shoes. If I'm doing Pilates then no. When I do Zumba, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I do whatever the people in my work out videos do. If they're wearing shoes, I put on shoes. If they're not, I take them off.

I was with my sister once and we were doing 6 Week 6 Pack, and I had forgot to pack shoes so I was doing it barefoot. BAD IDEA. It was killing my feet, ankles, and calves. Plus, her hardwood floors created friction that blistered the balls of my feet.
  • predent
    predent Posts: 95
    Options
    I don't. I don't want to disturb the person living in the apartment below me.

Edit: I do my workouts on carpet with a yoga mat.
  • Netterz0087
    Netterz0087 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your workout is...some workouts (high impact) aren't good to do barefoot, it puts too much pressure on your feet. But Yoga is fine to do without shoes.

But I do agree with GingerJen, just watch what others are wearing and do what they do. I have done high impact at home videos barefoot and some of the workouts I definitely can tell the strain it puts on my feet.
  • awerewka
    awerewka Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am about to start the 30 day shred so ... from what I am taking from the replies, I will just try wearing my runners.

• jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I always wear shoes to workout at home. Good for support and I have hard wood floors!
  • capital_clover
    Options
    I do everything barefoot, except for running outside of course. I find I have better control and stability in my bare feet.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I never wear shoes in my home. I do exercises barefoot on my living room carpet. I do the 30-day shred, yoga workouts, kettlebell swings and bosu ball exercises. It doesn't hurt my feet or ankles at all. My feet are most comfortable when they have no shoes on them.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I did P90X and Insanity barefoot. Now I lift in Vibram Five Fingers but it's because I lift on my back porch and it's wood and there are splinters. I have no problem being barefoot doing almost anything but I rarely wear shoes if I don't have to.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Barefoot and in my undies! :tongue:
  • amc119
    amc119 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't wear shoes. And I workout on an impact mat with a yoga mat over top of it. But that is more so that my neighbors below me don't hurt me.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have flat feet and plantar fasciitis so I need the arch support that shoes give me
  • ljd0693
    ljd0693 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your feet.

I have flat feet and ended up getting tendonitis in my left ankle because I was exercising barefoot and didn't have the support I needed. All that jumping around was terrible for me. I had get inserts for my shoes and now everything is good again.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    That's interesting that people with flat feet need shoes. I have the opposite problem of very high arches, which is why I find most shoes uncomfortable, and being barefoot is much more comfortable for me.
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    My kids laugh at me because I'm on my elliptical in flip flops! I only wear them because the treads have bumpy things that would hurt the soles of my feet - but it's low impact, so I don't have any issues with ankle/knee/foot pain.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    That's interesting that people with flat feet need shoes. I have the opposite problem of very high arches, which is why I find most shoes uncomfortable, and being barefoot is much more comfortable for me.

Samey same. Around home if I'm wearing shoes - my driveway is caliche and hurts my feet to walk on it and I don't like walking into the barn with no shoes at all - they're Old Navy cheapass flip flops.