exercising while pregnant

Options
hello everyone! i recently found out im pregnant, about 6 weeks. i was doing jillian michaels 30 day shred till i found out i was pregnant then i stopped, almost a week with no exercise :/ does anyone know the rules about exercising while preg? i really want to start workin out again i just dont know whats ok to do, i would love to keep doing my 30 day shred but i feel like all the jumping and plyo moves might be too much. can i keep doing it but replace the jump moves with something less, well, jumpy? also what can i do for cardio inside with no machines?

Replies

• Abrasue
    Abrasue Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If you have been exercising before, even running, and you feel confident in your core muslces, go right ahead and exercise!! :) ur body is used to it. Shouldn't be an issue unless you have underlying medical issues.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I know people who lifted and ran throughout their pregnancy and one of them was a Dr and a midwife
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Aslong as u were exercising beforehand then it should be fine, just do what feels good to you. there was a girl at my gym who was running, doing light weights and using the cross trainer every day until she was 37/38 weeks. My personal plan is to get fit and healthy before we have a baby so I can exercise throughout pregnancy. Consult with your Dr to be on the safe side. Oh and CONGRATULATIONS!
  • Miribg
    Miribg Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have heard that it is OK if you were already doing it. I would ask your doctor just to make sure though.
  • Cassie8877
    Cassie8877 Posts: 177
    Options
    get a large yoga ball thingy so instead of just sitting around sit on the ball its a great work out and it can be fun! just make sure to be very careful not to fall! its very healthy to keep working out while pregnant its both good for u and the baby! but drink LOTS OF WATER!!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You should be fine to maintain the same level of exercise that your body was to before you got pregnant. You will probably need to take it easier as your pregnancy progresses. But, definitely talk to you doctor to make sure. A quick call to the nurse should be all you need, not an actual appointment.
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    my best advise is to see your doctor as they are the best persons to give this to you
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    For the most part if you were doing it before preg. you should be fine to do it thru your pregnancy. Consult your Dr. They might have some concerns with specific execises (like those where you lie on your back) later in your pregnancy.
  • capital_clover
    Options
    You should be fine to keep going. I was extremely active before I had my son and exercised through my entire pregnancy. My doctor made me give up beach volleyball though as I got closer to my second trimester - obviously I couldn't dive for the ball anymore - LOL

I highly recommend some lower intensity aerobics as you get a bit bigger, especially prenatal yoga or even swimming classes. There are lots of good DVDs out there too - I really liked the ones by Erin O'Brien.
  • azziria
    azziria Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you've already been exercising regularly,I'd say carry on but listen very carefully to what your body is telling you. I hiked up mountains until I was 6 months pg, and swam half a mile three times a week (my last half mile was the day the baby was due - he arrived 5 days late but I stopped swimming because I got worried about my waters breaking in the pool). The benefit to me was that I walked miles while I was in labour (up and down that hospital corridor - I just had to move) but I was fit enough to handle it.

Congratulations and good luck!

ETA: My son is now 14, very intelligent and extremely athletic - obviously my antics while pg did him no harm!
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    I changed from high impact workouts to low impact while pregnant. I had previous miscarriages though, so I was extra wary of stressing my body. I walked about 2 miles a day up until 38 weeks. You probably won't have your first doctor's appt until 8-9 weeks so you can ask then. Congrats!
  • BeFitMom
    BeFitMom Posts: 17
    Options
    To find free, in depth info on all aspects of prenatal fitness and exercise, google my screen name.
    BeFit-Mom
  • Hollyrenner
    Hollyrenner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone for all of your advice! i got a lower intensity dvd that will help keep me toned. tony little easy shaper, anyone heard of it? it comes with this crazy resistance bar. looks like im putting my weightloss on hold for a while. thank you again everyone
  • kalawhon
    kalawhon Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If you've already been exercising regularly,I'd say carry on but listen very carefully to what your body is telling you. I hiked up mountains until I was 6 months pg, and swam half a mile three times a week (my last half mile was the day the baby was due - he arrived 5 days late but I stopped swimming because I got worried about my waters breaking in the pool). The benefit to me was that I walked miles while I was in labour (up and down that hospital corridor - I just had to move) but I was fit enough to handle it.

Congratulations and good luck!

ETA: My son is now 14, very intelligent and extremely athletic - obviously my antics while pg did him no harm!

WOW... KUDOS TO YOU!!! That is INCREDIBLE!! HAHA.. VERY inspiring!!
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    It's fine to workout during pregnancy as long as you're not having any complications. With both my pregnancies I had problems right from the day of conception (seemed like it anyways :P) so I'm totally envious of the women that have healthy normal pregnancies. I spent both my pregnancies on bed rest from about 12 weeks on. It sucked! I met one lady that was running marathons at 8 months pregnant!