Advice Needed from Exp. Distance Runners

Options
So my first 20 mile run is scheduled for tomorrow. It is currently raining and we are under a tornado watch. We are scheduled for scattered thunderstorms through tomorrow night. I have to teach Spin Sunday morning. So, I can't put off the run for a day and I work all week. If it's not raining in the morning, I'm going out. Basically, as long as I can keep my sneakers dry, I don't care about rain.
But.... if it's pouring..... what do I do? Advice wanted from experienced distance runners please.

Replies

• Netterz0087
    Netterz0087 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hey! I trained for a Marathon last year and had to do a 20 mile run...it sucked. Is that what you're doing? If so, is this your last long run or do you have another?
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you run. You can't control the weather tomorrow or during your race. Wear a hat and any lightweight waterproof clothing you have. You can do 2 10 mile loops if you want to change clothes/shoes/socks but regardless, you run.
  • amandask66
    amandask66 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If it's just rain I would go ahead with it. If it's storming or lightening and not safe then I would either do it on treadmill or try and get someone else to teach your spin class. I trained for my first marathon thru a brutal winter in Michigan and had to do 2 of 4 20's on the treadmill because the conditions were not safe to run. I was fine in my marathon. Granted 20 miles on the TM is not alot of fun but with movies it's doable.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If it's raining run. If it's lightening then run if it's not right overhead. If there is a tornado then hide.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    If it's raining run. If it's lightening then run if it's not right overhead. If there is a tornado then hide.

amen :)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I trained for my first marathon in no rain at all. When it came to my marathon, it was the worst weather they had in 39 years of the race. It was horrible downpours and puddles. I ended up with blisters on the arches of my feet. I have read onlilne of some things you can do when running in the rain to keep your feet drier. I'd probably plan on going out, start and see what it brings. Know if you need to no complete it, it's OK and swap a week around. How far out is your race?
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options

This.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Run. It's rain. Put newspapers in your shoes when you get done and they'll be dry in 24 hours. Running in the rain, when it's not cold out, is awesome.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you run. You can't control the weather tomorrow or during your race. Wear a hat and any lightweight waterproof clothing you have. You can do 2 10 mile loops if you want to change clothes/shoes/socks but regardless, you run.

This. ^
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    ...had to do 2 of 4 20's on the treadmill because the conditions were not safe to run.

You deserve a medal for THAT alone. :smile:
  • Netterz0087
    Options
    You could always just run until the weather gets back if it does at all. Possibly have a back up -- like someone come pick you up if it gets that bad. If not...the lightning can speed you up :P

Due to a job thing -- I missed my 18 mile run and then the next week did the 20 mile...it was doable but my body hurt a bit :(
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    This is my first of three 20 milers to do. My marathon is in October. I have always run in the rain and it never bothered me. I just didn't know if it would totally trash my shoes if I'm in downpours for that long.
    I would rather have the rain than the heat and I could NEVER do 20 miles on a treadmill. I would take a day off from work before I would do that.
    I was going to do a straight out and back 10 each way. But, yeah, if it's raining, I'll have to go back to my loop, I guess. That's good advice.
  • amandask66
    amandask66 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    ...had to do 2 of 4 20's on the treadmill because the conditions were not safe to run.

You deserve a medal for THAT alone. :smile:

Haha yeah it wasn't alot of fun but the roads were an absolute sheet of ice so there wasn't really a choice.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Rain is fine, the trick is DON'T overdress as your clothes get heavy and chafe when they get wet.

I go with shorts (unless it is crazy cold) light long sleeves and light gloves as my go to rain wear.

I've had serious rain in two or three marathons.
  • Netterz0087
    Options
    I've thrown my shoes in the dryer before and I don't know if I'd recommend doing that if they get wet. Some people have but when I did it, mine shrunk and were super tight :( I'd just set them out to dry. They shouldn't get that trashed.

But imo, it's not great, but if you absolutely have to miss a day I personally don't think it would hurt you too bad, but that's basing it off of my experience of missing one and I was still able to bounce back from that. It was the only run I missed out of a 4 month training schedule.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I just did a hill / tempo workout a few weeks ago. It was fine when we started and during the warm up, the skies opened up and it solidly poured for an entire hour. The streets were rivers. While there was thunder and lightning, it was never super close so we just finished it off and got in a good quality 10 miles with 8 hill repeats and about 5 miles at tempo. It wasn't comfortable or pretty but it was mentally a success.

As for what I wore, shorts, shoes, socks, hat, and a bra. It was warm though. Less clothes, less chafe.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Plus you get extra points for looking super hardcore to the people driving by in cars.
  • Daisy_Cutter
    Options
    Yep run... I lived in Seattle for years... probably 75% of my runs were in the rain. I grew to really love it. Your shoes will get wet quickly... just suck it up and keep going. Great training because you never know what race day will bring!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    yeah, i echo what the others say. i did my 18k in torrential rain last week- it took me a lot longer to do though. i will heartily recommend wearing a long sleeved top. i didn't notice until i got home that i was soaked, and just how much chafing i had from my wet bra and on my upper arms from my short sleeved tshirt rubbing. and beware if you run with headphones- if they get really wet, they will fry. i go through headphones about every 6 weeks (thankfully, they're under a 1 year warranty so i just swap them out for others. but the staff there must think i'm a destroyer of electrical goods).
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I love running in the rain. Go run.