Hi I'm new and really, really could do with some support!

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm posting this again because I didn't get any replies when I posted it before - hope that's ok....

I'm relatively new here. I'm 46 in two weeks. I got the menopause at 40ish and have been taking hrt for the last couple of years. I'm 5ft 7.5 inches and I weigh 163 pounds. I'm quite broad shouldered with probably a medium frame. I'm very depressed about my weight.

My arms and legs are thin but my bust is 38inches and my waist is 34inches- a typical apple shape. In my 20s I was a uk size 12 (that's about US 16) now I'm a uk 16 (that's a US 20).

I find the weight is creeping on though I haven't changed my lifestyle. My depression about my weight gain makes it difficult to get motivated to exercise - although I know that sounds like a contradiction.

I wondered if someone could just give me a leg up to get started, what to do in week 1, week 2 etc. I have an exercise bike I use about three times a week but it's apparently not enough. It rains a lot here in Ireland so it's often hard to get out and gyms are very expensive here. :cry:

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks x

Replies

• todietfor
    Options
    What is your diet like so far? Have you been logging your food (if for no other reason than to get a baseline of what your daily intake is)? I ask because at least for me, starting with food first was a good way to ease into a new routine and start changing my habits.

As far as indoor exercise, I'd recommend Jillian Michael's 30 day shred or other video programs, depending on your preference. The shred is intense interval workouts, but you might be able to find other workout videos on Netflix or to purchase through iTunes. I sometimes lookup Zumba routines on youtube if you are more in the mood to dance to get your cardio in.
  • lisamyershb
    lisamyershb Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Keep on it! You first need to embrace your body and strive to improving it. I'm fortyish and it's not always easy. Hang in there my friend. :)
  • stitchinhippie
    Options
    I wouldnt be too hard on yourself. Weight gain is usual during and after menopause.
    MFP has all the steps taht you need to take...just stay within your calorie budget and exercise the amount you say are going to each day. If anything, the exercise will help you feel less depressed and better about your body. I always feel skinnier after a workout. :) If you need anything else feel free to add me as a friend. :smile:
  • fieldsbean
    Options
    first off.
    believe in yourself.
    second.
    forgive yourself.
    third.
    one day at a time.
    fourth.
    look forward not back!

To sum it up, we are all different..i have dropped off here because some people seem to lose so fast..and i lose so terribly slow..but i know i am eating better than before and even a 30 minute walk a day is a good thing! If you eat too much, forgive yourself and start over! There are a lot of good tools..i don't like to see other peoples losing amounts right now because i know it makes me feel sad when i see people losing 2 lbs a week..i love food..it is my nemesis..but i want to be healthier too..YOU CAN DO IT! :-)
  • linwall55
    Options
    I will be on the site for 2 weeks as of next Monday. I am similar in shape to you. I am 55, menopausal and 5'7". I weigh about 170 pounds. I would like to weigh 150. It's been a long time since I've been this motivated to diet. My first week, I went over my calorie goals almost every day by a little, but I just kept on recording the meals anyway. I've already lost 1 1/2 pounds, even without perfect meal planning.
    I hope you will find the support and help you need! This truly is an easy way to count calories. Hang in there!
  • Brent_J
    Brent_J Posts: 54
    Options
    Welcome! If I could give one piece of advise it would be this:

It sounds like you are making your exercise your primary focus.

I didn't have success until I made my eating my primary focus and then my exercise was just an aid.

Good luck!
  • awillkies
    awillkies Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    agree with that. logging my food & being responsible for it has really really helped me understand where i'm weak & need improvement, etc. i understand the depression i really do. after my son was born (4 yrs ago Sept) i wasn't PPD but i was very hormonal and no longing the cute pg girl. i was just a very petite woman with a huge belly to get rid of. i'm still working on it. feel free to friend if you like. go easy on yourself & be well,
  • Malgorzata79
    Malgorzata79 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You can add me on as a friend - if you like.
  • bn1974
    bn1974 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am pretty new as well, so I don't have a lot of experience with all this yet. I think the video workout idea is really good, and you might even be able to find a spin class online or on DVD you could do with your stationary bike. Anything that gets your heart rate up should help!
    I have found the food part challenging - I had no idea how many calories were in some things I used to eat all the time. It's a steep learning curve!
    Hang in there - you CAN do it!
  • chyeage
    chyeage Posts: 2
    Options
    I just started too. Lots of good advice on here, but I'd just reinforce the idea of taking it slow, making a little bits of progress as you go. Feel free to add me as a friend, I could use some more :)
  • valerie521
    valerie521 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    ahhhh the 40's --- YIKES for all of us !

Please feel free to add me. I like being there to help support
    my pals.

:) we will get there together !
  • mjculber
    mjculber Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am also fairly new, been here for 3 weeks and have lost 7 lbs :smile: You can add me for your friend. I will be 40 in 2 months....I am already going through menopause (had a hysterectomy last year)....so I know it does seem harder to lose weight when in menopause, but it can be done!! Postive thoughts equal positive results!!
  • CaLaurie
    CaLaurie Posts: 178
    Options
    Hi...I started here about 5-6 weeks ago (for maybe the 5th time in the past couple of years), and it's been great - maybe even fun (gasp!) to log every day and check out the forums, etc. I just started P90 - no, NOT P90X, - it's the beginner's version, and it's pretty good. Challenging enough, but not overwhelming, except I can't figure out why they would put the abs exercises after the cardio when you're already pretty darn tired. Sending FR....the support here is what's made the difference this time. :smile:
  • kristenstejskal
    kristenstejskal Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome :)
    First of all, try not to beat yourself up about your weight/weight gain. Try to get in the mindset that you are not simply trying to lose weight, think of it as trying to live a healthy lifestyle! If your depression extends further than just about your weight gain, I would see a professional to see if it could be clinical depression. Try interval training while you're on your exercise bike (for ex: one minute at high rpm, 30 sec at a lower rpm). This burns more calories! Invest in a Heart Rate Moniter (HRM). This gives you a relatively accurate number of calories you burn during a workout. Also, try to add in some weight baring exercise. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn, even after your workout is finished. http://backonpointe.tumblr.com/post/15968075542/a-daily-exercise-plan-do-these-exercises
    I like this workout because you can do it at home. I do it everyday during a 30 minute TV show...if I get done before the 30 min, I start the workout over! Try rewarding yourself for everytime you workout, or every pound you lose (this can be a little tricky because as you gain muscle, you won't truly know how much fat you've lost unless you take body fat % measurements). Try putting a dollar in a jar and when you've reach $100, buy yourself a sexy new outfit that makes you feel proud of your accomplishments.
    Also, try your best to eat healthy, wholesome calories. I have found that this site is so helpful at providing an idea of how many calories you should be eating v. how many calories you actually consume. Keep this in mind- weight loss is 70% diet, 30% gym. Work to get into healthy eating habits!
    This site is awesome for motivation for both exercise and diet...Try to commit to 12 weeks logging in everyday! By then, good habits are already forming!!
    Feel free to add me! I'm here for support!
    Kristen
  • TangledUp_InBlue
    TangledUp_InBlue Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I’m 48 and I’ve done pretty well here…love the site. Just start logging in every day and entering your food. I did that for a month or so before I started exercise. It really helps you zero in on calorie intake.

Friend me if you’d like.
  • kimrlu
    kimrlu Posts: 1
    Options
    hello, i can so relate to you o so many levels. im 46, 5'3" tall and was always bewteen a US size 10-14. I recently got up to a size 16 now down to a 18 but very depressed and that maes me eat and so the circle goes. I can tell you that even though you havent changed your lifestyle... the weight gain is due to menopause. I hit peri-menopause at about 38. full blown menopause about 4 years ago. the weight gain is mostly in my belly which is a menopausal symptom. I used to workout with a trainer and he is awesome. he just got too epensive for me. I can give you some tips that really do work and that i have been usingto drop 1 pant size in about 4 weeks.
    the key is to eat lean protein. i know most people say more carbs but unless its strictly veggies and a limited amount of fruit, you dont really need alot of carbs. actually anything processed is out. pasta, bread, rice. skip those. eat about 5 ounces of protein and 1/2 cup of veggies each meal and eat about 6 meals a day. every 2 1/2-3 hours. add raw almonds, avacado and olive oil in small amountsas good fat as well. her is a sample daily menu.

meal 1- 1 who egg plus 2 egg whites, 1 tsp olive oil, 2 tablesppons diced zucchini, 2 tablespoons diced tomato, 2 tablespoons 1/4 c raw spinach. saute the veggies in the olive oil, whip the egg together, pour over veggies and stir until cooked. veggie egg scramble. add about 1/4 cup bluberries and there you have it.

meal 2- 15 raw almonds and 3 ounces for lean turkey slices

meal 3- 4 ounces of baked chicken breast, season with garlic, pepper and a little lemon, 1/2 cup steamed broccoli

meal 4- 3 hard boiled eggs (whites only) with low cal hummus

meal 5- 4 ounces of steamed tilapia, 10 grapes

meal 6- protein shake with 1/4 cup fresh fruit.

one more thing, i have fond that the stationary bike doesnt really burn that many calories. you are better off doing 20 minutes of intense cardio intervals. step ups, burpees, sprinting, jumping jacks etc. feel free to message me. I'd be happy to be a support partner with you.
  • Paul_Hodge
    Options
    Hello and welcome!

We all know that it can be hard being new, we've all been new somewhere at sometime or another. The important thing is, you are in the right place. Their is nothing to feel embarassed about here, as we all have similar problems. That being said, I am not making light of your problem. Everyone's body is their temple and you have the right to feel well in your temple. I'm down nearly 20 LBS from using MFP and here's the thing... IT WORKS.

First, a little background if I may. I am 33 and have struggled with my weight since I was 19. I have tried everything. Weight watchers, intensive exercise, you name it. Nothing worked for me. I lost 6 lbs on WW in 6 months. Frustration? Been there done that. It wasn't until I saw a friend of mine that told me about MFP that I finally felt a ray of hope. Would it work? I didn't know, but at least it was FREE!!!

Now I'm going to post what I feel is the most crucial thing for the success that I've had so far. Diet. There, that's it. What Brent J. says below:

"It sounds like you are making your exercise your primary focus.

I didn't have success until I made my eating my primary focus and then my exercise was just an aid."

Truer words have never been spoken. I always thought that I could eat whatever I wanted and "just exercise a bit, every now and then," and I wouldn't have a problem. Well, I gained 75 LBS in 6 months after I got out of the Army. When I ran into my friend at the gym he told me that weight loss is 90% diet. He said to me "I don't care how much you exercise. If you don't change your diet, you'll always look like that." When I changed my diet, the weight began to fall off. I also read a book called Fit2Fat2Fit, which was an excellent motivator. Check it out.

Another great book, with regard to exercise, is "The strength training anatomy workout 2." The authors, who, combined have over 50 years of exercise physiology experience, emphasize that you don't need a bunch of equipment to work out. Definately worth checking out, maybe from the library? I bought mine off of Amazon for around $10.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is this, first off, diet is crucial! If you go over a bit, and I do sometimes, that's ok, just get on that bike the same day and burn some calories. Exercise can be almost anything. I put on a backpack and put weight in it and go for an hour long walk. With 15 LBS on my back, my heart-rate monitor (another excellent purchase, if your budget will allow get one that counts calories) shows that I burn nearly 1300 calories. Just by going on a walk. Weights? They can be anything. Water is an excellent weight with the dual benefit that you can drink it. Secondly, try looking up some things on MFP before you eat them. I don't know what the restraunt situation is like in Eire, but, for instance, did you know that Chili's (a restraunt here in the States) serves an appetizer that has 1700 calories? I used to love that appetizer but haven't touched it since. You must realize what you are putting in your body before it goes in. Thirdly, don't beat yourself up. We all have days that aren't perfect. Tomorrow will be better. Life is worth living, don't forget to live it.

If there is any help that I can offer you please don't hesitate to ask. We are all here for you.
  • Happyirisheyes
    Happyirisheyes Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thank you so very much for your kind reply! It cheered me up no end. I haven't been logging my food but I will now. Should I post that too?
    Thank you again
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Thank you so very much for your kind reply! It cheered me up no end. I haven't been logging my food but I will now. Should I post that too?
    Thank you again

For me logging my food is a must. Then I REALLY see what I consume!! Give it a try!
  • gotpigs
    gotpigs Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It is nice to meet you! Have you tried increasing your protein and water intake? The water will help flush out fat and the protein will give your body a boost on the weight loss. Give it a week and see what it does for you. Hope this helps. Feel free to write anytime!:smile: I was SUPER depressed about my weight before my surgery, and at times, I still want to feel that way. Just remember that it didn't take overnight for all of the weight to get there so it won't be overnight to come off. Even with my surgery I lose about 3.5 pounds a week or so at most. Love yourself no matter what.