Had an emotional break-down last night

Options
No am not proud of it but from time to time I just need a good cry! Well this was NOT one of those moments. This time it was this
$%&#$@%# plateau that I have been on and CAN NOT seem to get off of! I checked the scale last night (before anybody says anything about staying off the scale save your fingertips tap tap tapping away on that key board. It's what I do, it may not work for you, but I check my weight at night time to see where I am and get a grip on what the next mornings weight will be.) Last night was more than I had expected and yes I got freaked out by it! Really tried NOT to but I did. I started crying and the feeling of "this is no longer working so why continue to try" came washing over me like a blanket! I stood in the bathroom and just sobbed. Then I couldn't stop...do you wanna know how hard it is to brush your teeth while you are crying? It's not a easy task that's for sure! I finished up and crawled into bed where the tears continued. My hubby (god love him) came up to say something to me (he never comes up but last night he did) found out that I was crying and gave me a "pep talk". Didn't want to hear of course not feeling like I was, but appreciated it that is for sure! He reminded me of how far I have come and he threw "my words" back at me...hate when he does that... but I told him that when he upped his calories to give it at least a month before changing anything else. Well he reminded me that I have only been doing it this way for less than 2 weeks now and to give it a month AND a slight gain can be expected at first but not to give up hope! I laid there crying, listening, crying so more. He wiped my tears away, kissed me on my forward and told me he was proud of me and my accomplishments to this point and to just hang in there. (he has been on a plateau as well) I cried myself to sleep. Woke with big puffy spots under my eyes and my sinuses screwed up this morning... what a way to start out a Friday huh? Do I feel better this morning? I really wished I could say I do but I don't! But that feeling of hopelessness that this is it I am never gonna lose anymore is NOT as strong as it was light night, so that's a plus. I'm I just gonna keep keeping on. Give this a couple more weeks then try something else and continue to TRY until I find what works for me! To all of you on a plateau I beg you to NOT give in or give up! If I will not then I don't expect you to!

Replies

• LeslieMartina
    LeslieMartina Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    *hugs*

I'm glad you're going to keep at it. Sometimes we just need a good cry.
  • hijude57
    hijude57 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Girl, I have been exactly where you are. Many a tear has been shed over the stupid plateau I was on for 2 years (yes you read that right). I'm not gonna preach what you need to do, since you seem to already have an idea, and you really don't need to be preached at right now. I'm also not going to say that you need to be proud of how far you've come and that you shouldn't give up, you already know that. All I am going to say is it's okay to cry over something other people might deem as "stupid". Many people on this site are probably just dying to ridicule you for being so "weak" and for "whining about a stupid number on the scale". Eff' em'. You cry your heart out as much as you need to, and then pick yourself back up and push forward.

You WILL get past the plateau. I know, hun. I've been there.

Sending good juju vibes your way!
  • msmith2020
    msmith2020 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: you can get through this! you are strong, strong STRONG! Just keep saying it... It is the truth.
  • 29bubbles
    29bubbles Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Sending you a big cyber hug!!!!
  • skinnybabe123
    skinnybabe123 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I hope you feel better today. I am so proud of you and you have come a long way. Its ok to not loose on the scale. I know i am telling you this but myself am stressed when i dont see a loss. But i met a friend few days back at the gym and she said she just see how she feels with her body and not what the scale says. I think in moments like last night we should try to feel about how we think it is a lifestyle change and not something abt the stupid scale. You will get there. I am so proud of you that you just cried . If i was in your place i would have cried and then done some emotional eating too. So feel proud that you did not eat out of stress.
  • pink2lady
    pink2lady Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Girl, I have been exactly where you are. Many a tear has been shed over the stupid plateau I was on for 2 years (yes you read that right). I'm not gonna preach what you need to do, since you seem to already have an idea, and you really don't need to be preached at right now. I'm also not going to say that you need to be proud of how far you've come and that you shouldn't give up, you already know that. All I am going to say is it's okay to cry over something other people might deem as "stupid". Many people on this site are probably just dying to ridicule you for being so "weak" and for "whining about a stupid number on the scale". Eff' em'. You cry your heart out as much as you need to, and then pick yourself back up and push forward.

I agree 100% and stay strong, you can do this!
  • Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    From your profile: "I have mini goals I have set for myself and will continue to set as many as I need as time goes on. Remember as so many have told me and posted...THIS IS NOT A SPRINT BUT A MARATHON! Slow and steady is gonna win THIS race!
    Why I Want To Get In Shape

To feel better, to look better, to live longer!
    Go from being in "obese" to "normal" range- "

I am stuck not losing pounds too and I was constantly weighing at all times of the day. I read an article from a personal trainer who was emphasizing the power of goals. He talked about the conscious mind controlling the subconscious. When you weigh so often and don't see results you go to the negative thought pattern which affects the subconscious which in turn can begin to sabotage your healthy living plan. The subconscious will start "saying" oh why exercise; it doesn't do anything anyway" or "Why not eat that, I'm not losing weight anyway."

When you surround yourself with negative thoughts over and over it will wear on you. So, I did put my scale away and put up motivational pictures and sayings in my desk area which I read over and over throughout my day. Now my thoughts are positive and goal driven, not negative and self-defeating.

I also want to get into the normal BMI range and to do that I would have to weigh 140, which I have no doubt now, I will get there! Remember GO with the positive!

Good luck to you! When in doubt, take a look at your profile picture, you look absolutely lovely! :flowerforyou:
  • awillkies
    awillkies Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i'm sorry that happened for you.
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I can completely relate and understand how you are feeling. I am there. However, I know and you know that you can't give up. You have to continue to push forward. I tell myself in moments like these that I can not allow the devil to have victory. I extend a hug to you. :) It will get better and you will get the VICTORY!
  • gmichaelguy
    gmichaelguy Posts: 123 Member
    Options

This^^^^^

And I looked at your pictures. You are ALREADY beautiful so even if it takes a little longer than you hoped to get to your goal, the good news is you are already attractive! And go curl up in the arms of your man. Seems like he's with you and a good man is hard to ignore!
  • chatipati1
    chatipati1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    See, when I read this topic, I did feel and do feel this can be avoided by NOT getting on that scale..I know it is what you do....but why? It caused you grief! I look at this as a process...a few steps forward, some back, put more forward. What is the race? There is no race. You look healthy and have had success. Maybe you are over thinking. I would change this sadness to anger. Look up new recipes, perhaps try a different kind of exercise. Hang in there. We all have disappointments. This will pass.
  • saford10
    saford10 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Funny I was doing the same thing last night minus the crying. Last week I worked hard and lost 9 pounds. Yea for me more than I had expected. This week I am working even harder getting more steps in more miles in than last week and I have gained two pounds. I don't get it. Its VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!! I was thinking then why workout this morning. Its not doing me any good at least before I was busting my butt I was staying the same weight without gaining two pounds. I eat three smaller meals a day and at least two snacks a day that consist of a piece of fruit and I am gaining this week. Go figure. But I made myself a promise to workout five days a week weekends off. And the weekend is tomorrow so i must workout today.

Something I have noticed though. I cut back on water intake and I am not sure if that has anything to do with it. I carry a 32 oz. bottle with me. Last week when I started out I would drink maybe five of them. Then people told me that that was too much water that it could be bad for me to drink that much. So I cut back to three to four. How much water is too much? Am I now gaining water weight? I don't know very frustrating. I know I need to hide the scale but I am addictied to the scale when I am working out. When I wastn't working out I could care less about the scale. Wierd.

So hang in there and we will push through this. Your not alone and your ticker says you lost 45# that is fantastic. Don't beat yourself up your doing a great job!!!!!
  • hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I do appreciate each and every one of ya'lls comments!
  • kimmerkay
    kimmerkay Posts: 110
    Options
    I'm so, so sorry! This weight loss thing is so difficult!! I really feel for you!! As you well know, I have really struggled even at the beginning of my journey to lose weight... I would give my right arm to have lost how much you have already lost.... I know this isn't very comforting to you right now... But be glad for all you have accomplished so far.... It will happen,,, you look beautiful in your new dress and you are forging a new lifestyle that will continue forever!!! Best wishes! Kim
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    Focus on the fact that you have lost 45 LBs and that is amazing! :smile:
  • flanchick
    flanchick Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs a self-pity party sometimes - enjoy it, recover. and be stronger!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Just want to say that you married and good man and he did an awesome job of being the loving husband during your meltdown. Pat on the back for him!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. But you've lost SO MUCH and if that's you in that picture, you look GREAT.

And yeah, it sucks to plateau.

Listen to what your husband told you you said - give it some time.

And rethink a little. Look at the long term in your diary and exercise. Have things changed between then and now? Have you changed your calories? Are you eating more carbs? fats? whatever does it for you?

It may just be a time when your body needs to sit a while. Be patient. It will happen.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    the up side to weighing everyday is how exciting it is when you lose..it keeps one motivated. The downside is your last night cry.

but..I'll tell you what. when I analyze why I have regained the 30 pounds i lost last year and SWORE I'd never regain was because I didn' t weigh myself everyday. If would have seen it creeping on..I would have only gained five instead of it all back.

So..the daily weighing habit can work for you it you just use it as a tool...and not let it control your day. You'll bust through your plateau. I did through mine by eating off plan then j umping back on . I gained six pounds doing that...but when I started dieting again...the scale kept moving down.

I see so many tips and tricks on here. Just start trying some..and figure it out. It will happen!