High Protein Diet

Options
2»

Replies

• Nteeter
    Nteeter Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Lean meats, legumes (nuts), egg white, turkey, chicken, fish, tuna, even beef jerky just the regular lean kind is a great snack, black beans. Nuts and tuna have good fats in them so dont worry to much about their fat content.

complex carbs like whole wheat grains are good carbs and your body needs those but not to many. Stay away from enriched flour aka white breads. Skip white rice go with brown rice.

Add in filler vegetables like lettuce, onions, tomatoes, celerey, and fruits like apples.

I dont worry about sugars but I stay away from sugary foods cause there is sugar in EVERYTHING now days and you wont have a problem hitting the total for that.
  • pajomu
    pajomu Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My problem is the sodium that goes along with a lot of the protein I like. Cheese and cottage cheese are loaded with it. I've tried the no salt added cottage cheese and didn't like it at all. Chicken and eggs have sodium. Obviously, deli lean meats do too. Any low (or no) sodium ideas? Thanks!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    lots of eggs, meat, fish, poultry.

Nuts in moderation. A high-quality dark, dark chocolate. There's even a decent amount in leafy greens.

Cheeses, yogurts, diary.

Make sure you are getting plenty of fat with that protein (do some searching on "rabbit starvation"). Too much lean protein without plenty of fat isn't healthy.

There is no need for 40% of your diet to come from protein. The body can only use so much (it can't store excess dietary protein but does keep an amino acid reserve). Eat 1g per pound of lean body weight (for me that's 90g). And it will also use protein for glucose. BUT - once that part is taken care of (this is only if the body needs glucose at the time and you haven't consumed any) but the rest is converted to fat. Might as well eat the fat.

I'm sorry but the quality of protein in grains (which is incomplete) and legumes (this will give you the amino acid that grains do not contain) doesn't come close to the quality of the protein in animal foods. Get your protein through animal foods. (You have to eat like 4 bowls of oatmeal to get the same amount of protein as 4oz of steak. And the steak contains complete protein.) I'll take the steak - preferrably with a chunk of butter or blue cheese on it!!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    My problem is the sodium that goes along with a lot of the protein I like. Cheese and cottage cheese are loaded with it. I've tried the no salt added cottage cheese and didn't like it at all. Chicken and eggs have sodium. Obviously, deli lean meats do too. Any low (or no) sodium ideas? Thanks!

Salt isn't bad for you (even if it's genetic there has got to be a defining mechansim that "turns the gene on"). Carbohydrates cause the kidneys to retain sodium (my guess would be refined but I pretty much treat all carbs the same). The body "balances" itself out by retaining water. Then blood pressure rises and you get hypertension (google fructose induced hypertension).

I have to ensure I get ENOUGH salt in my diet. I load all up with salt.

http://chriskresser.com/shaking-up-the-salt-myth-the-dangers-of-salt-restriction
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Am not sure where you are in the world? But corned beef here in the UK is high in protein, low in everything else and yummy. Along with lean bacon...as well as all the regular chicken/fish/egg type stuff.

I am always well over on protein, it isn`t too hard if you put your mind to it
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, egg whites, peanut butter, greek yogurt, lean meat (turkey deli meat is good). I'm usually over my protein goal--feel free to take a look at my diary. (I don't drink any shakes, ever. I like to chew my calories.)
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    Supplementing your chicken, eggs, cottage cheese, fish etc with a couple of protein shakes uring the day is the best way to attaining that 40%. I'm bulking an I can tell you that even I find it a bit of a challenge! Lay off the carbs after your 5th meal or at diner too.
  • arielian
    arielian Posts: 200
    Options
    Lean meats, fish, tuna, eggs, nuts, cheese, greek yogurt, oatmeal, quinoa, brown rice, kale, leafy veggies! Eat them like a job! I had trouble getting my recommended protein and I dissected my diet and added these in!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Eat more animals.
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Steak and eggs, steak and salad, steak and veggies...mmm steak
  • TrinaJ11
    TrinaJ11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    more meats, cheeses, eggs, nuts, sugar free jello for snacks, diet soda and crystal light for drinks
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    Feel free to check out my diary for the past month or so as I'm doing Insanity where the nutrition plan is 40%/40%/20%. I am to get it pretty close on most days. Cottage Cheese and Protein Shakes tend to be the ultimate equalizer to make it work. I do try to plan and enter my meals either the day before or 1st thing in the morning so I know where to make adjustments. One of the other easier methods is to have a salad as one of your meals w/ Protein which will generally be very low carb.

Hope that helps.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Eggs, cottage cheese, lean meats, almonds, Greek yogurt, peanut butter
    I eat all of these and im usually way over my proteins amount, I do eat these all in one day too lol
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Protein helps burn off fat. I was recommended to eat 80 grams per day on a 1200 calorie diet!!

Basil
  • Fenestra13
    Fenestra13 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Eggs, cottage cheese, lean meats, almonds, Greek yogurt, peanut butter

^This!

I've been making chicken breasts and a peanut sauce that's mostly peanut butter with a little soy sauce and maple syrup to dip it in and make it taste better. I love Trader Joes's "just a handful of almonds" because they are portioned out and I can easily keep them with me for a snack. Also, I make a lot of greek yogurt smoothies with frozen fruit and a little milk. I can't eat bananas, but I heard greek yogurt with peanut butter and bananas is good. I also like mixing canned, rinsed and drained, warmed black beans with some salsa for a tasty, quick snack. And I've been working hard at eating eggs or yogurt at breakfast. I found I can microwave eggs in a big ceramic bowl at work and they come out like a fluffy omelet (because the bottom of the bowl is big and pretty flat - you need the sides because it swells up when cooking) and then sometimes I put a little feta and make like an omelet.

I love fish but don't like cooking it, so I mostly get my protein from chicken or beans
  • Copperycat
    Copperycat Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Tuna, Eggs, lean meat and chicken, almonds, pumpkin seeds, and lower fat cheese. My macros are 40/30/30 which I find manageable and I try to eat most of my carbs in the morning and afternoon and hardly any in the evening to give me energy for the day.
  • JSheehy1965
    Options
    eggs, plain greek yogurt, turkey bacon, fish, chicken, turkey, pork, almonds, low fat string cheese and other stuff :)
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    1 Egg + 3 egg whites with some cheese and spinach mixed in there makes for a nice low cal, high protein meal .. you can add in some lean meat too if you want to up it or change it up a bit. I'm not an egg white fan but having the 1 Egg totally takes away the nasty of the whites by themselves .. and you get a bunch of extra protein for almost nothing (45-50 cals and 12 or so grams of Protein).
  • fhsjewfro
    fhsjewfro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    protein shakes, chicken breasts (cheap, little fat), red meat (i eat a pound of 93/7 beef everyday), tuna (cheap, no fat), cottage cheese (cheap, low fat), greek yogurt (little expensive, has carbs)

everyday i eat:
    - 1 pound of 93/7 beef
    - 2 whey shakes in water, 2 scoops each shake
    - 4 cups of 1% milk
    - 1, sometimes 2 fiber bars
    - 1 cup of oatmeal

thats about 2000 cals right there with very good sources of protein and carbs. this was my main cutting diet and will be the staple of my bulking diet
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, totally forgot beans! Load up!