Sunbathing.........

Options
Do you burn calories while you sunbathe??? I have my own opinion, but I just wanna know what others think.......:bigsmile:

Replies

• ItsOn130
    ItsOn130 Posts: 269
    Options
    I don't know... You sweat so maybe? What is your opinion?
  • boomstick13s
    Options
    probably the same amount you burn when you are sleeping.
  • RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    haha that would be pretty awesome if you did!
  • kbloodworth
    kbloodworth Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Well...since I am sucking in my gut the entire time, I suppose it counts as ab work...
  • jlbryant2
    jlbryant2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    you burn calories while breathing and sleeping so im sure its about the same.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    Well...since I am sucking in my gut the entire time, I suppose it counts as ab work...

It's called a stomach vacuum. It's a legitimate exercise.:happy:
  • shanamalena
    Options
    Well I know it burns calories, because you burn calories sleeping, digesting food so why not sunbathing. But I think you probably burn a tad bit more than sleeping because your normally sweating.

lol It just made me remember something....When I was going to the tan-n-beds....the first time i go in the beginning of summer,and after I get up the bed is always loaded with sweat!! OMG....

But anyways....I love sunbathing, but I dont like to sunbathe too much because it damages your skin. But I love how I feel after sunbathing. I always feel soo good. And ready to conquer the world!! :laugh:
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Yes, you burn extra calories, but not many. You also burn extra calories when you have a fever much the same as sunbathing. It's just a few extra calories to try and cool the body, not enough to count as a workout or anything. I suppose there might be a couple calories burned from the conversion of sunlight to vitamin D, too, but again, not many.
  • jrt9999
    jrt9999 Posts: 114
    Options
    I imagine I burn some while trying to watch other sunbathers.
  • tassles
    tassles Posts: 172
    Options
    I imagine I burn some while trying to watch other sunbathers.

LOL!!! so perving is now a work out??.....love it!!
  • LD76
    LD76 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yeah I think so cos they make diet pills based on their ability to raise your body temperature thus burning more calories. I reckon based on this same principle then you do burn cals sunbathing, obv not that much but a few more than if you were lying in your bed for the sane amount of time. I've just been sunbathing n I defo feel like it's done me some good, 1. I have a good tan, 2. Ive upped my vitamin d intake, 3. I got so warm I could barely eat my dinner :p
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Thermal stress isn't a direct indicator of a calorie burn. Even if there is a calorie burn it is extremely low.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Thermal stress isn't a direct indicator of a calorie burn. Even if there is a calorie burn it is extremely low.

Don't know about that.. ;)
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think so cos they make diet pills based on their ability to raise your body temperature thus burning more calories. I reckon based on this same principle then you do burn cals sunbathing, obv not that much but a few more than if you were lying in your bed for the sane amount of time. I've just been sunbathing n I defo feel like it's done me some good, 1. I have a good tan, 2. Ive upped my vitamin d intake, 3. I got so warm I could barely eat my dinner :p

I could understand burning more calories would raise your body temp
    But I don't understand how raising your body temp would burn calories