Any Suggestions? What do you do at dinner parties?

snowangel1975
snowangel1975 Posts: 58
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
I have a dinner party to go to on Saturday. It figures, when I wasn't watching what I eat we would do nothing really. Sit around the house. Now here I am making this commitment to myself and in one week I went to a hockey party and now a dinner party.
What does one do when they are forced to eat a buffet of chosen food? Were Greek, so if you know, Greek people eat really fatty high calorie foods. How do I prepare for such a calorie overload. Do I skip a meal so that I'm allowed the extra calories at my meal? Any suggestions?

Replies

• The worst thing to do is skip a meal because you end up eating more. Try to focus on the people and not the food.
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    First of all, don't stay next to the buffet table. Put your food on your plate and move to another room to talk with someone and eat it slowly with lots of conversation between bites. Second, don't go back for seconds. One plate is all you need. Third, enjoy the party and try to have at least one conversation with everyone there while you still have food on your plate. As long as you still have something on it you won't be tempted to go back for more. Keep mingling - the longer you can make that plate last the better. Hopefully, until the party is over or you have to leave.
  • polyesterchesters
    polyesterchesters Posts: 81 Member
    I would eat before you go, that way, you won't be as hungry for high fat foods. also, work out a bit extra that day. good luck! I am staying right inside my box so no one can offer me food....... for now!
  • calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    I always bring something to a dinner party that I know I can nibble on without guilt. cut veggies with non-fat greek yogurt (with a dip mix) is a favorite of mine to bring. I load up on these and then eat half of my meal so that I don't look rude.

Or.... I make it my cheat day (only once a month option for me.)
  • MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,515 Member
    First of all eat something before you go so that you are not starving when you get there and eating all sorts of things because of your hunger.

Most dinner parties have the same types of foods so have an idea in your mind of what you will allow yourself according to your food diary. Serve yourself a large plate of salad, veggies, with good source of protein. Then do a smaller serving of carbs and little things you want to try. And don't sit near the food because you'll be eating without thinking, and definitely do not go back for seconds. Also, I would avoid sodas and juices because they have lots of carbs and sugar in them.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    The worst thing to do is skip a meal because you end up eating more. Try to focus on the people and not the food.

I agree. If you want to have some extra calories, it would probably be a better idea to eat smaller meals than usual. Maybe you can manage to scrape 200-300 calories off your lunch or snacks.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Wow, all such good responses. The only thing I would add to that is maybe do a little recon. Try to find out from the host what's being served, and do your homework on what you know (or think) will be there. I.E. what is really a portion, how many calories,carbs, fats...etc, which foods are high in fiber so if you want to feel full quicker...etc. Also what I always do is, when I get there, zone in on the veggies, there are almost always veggies at these events, go right to them and get a plate full, but skip the high cal dressings, see if they have any low cal alternatives, if not, then choose the veggies you know you can eat without toppings. Veggies are always a great way to keep yourself from pigging out on the bad stuff, without people looking at you funny because you aren't eating.
  • keep an eye on portion size. have a little of this or that but not a plate piled high. drink water also to help fill yourself up. good luck.
  • JNeel
    JNeel Posts: 1
    You could probably look at some of the foods on here and see how much you are allowed to eat. Stay away from alcohol and like the previous post suggested, focus on the people. I happen to love Greek food, so I would probably spend some extra time at the gym to increase my allowance. Hope that helps. =) Opa!
  • thad a great Dinner with my inlaws tonight. Happy 80th Birthday George. The most happy thing about it though is, I stayed within my calorie goal. I planned ahead for my indulgence and it paid off!
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Yea! I knew you could do it! Give yourself a pat on the back! :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.