Polar FT4 problems

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure this is the right area to put this question in, but here goes. I am curious if anyone has had this problem with a Polar FT4 heart monitor. In the middle of my workouts, my heart rate drops to 50's and 60's and stays there for a minute or two before jumping back up on the watch and that is clearly not the case when I'm in the middle of running. When it first started, i changed the batteries and it didn't help. I called Polar and they said the strap can sometimes go bad but i would have to send the whole thing in for them to check out if i wanted them to replace it for free. I am a heart patient who has to closely watch my heart rate when i work out so for me to send the whole thing back would mean i would not be able to work out at all until i get it back. Instead of doing that, i ordered a new strap off amazon. It worked fine the first two days but day 3 (today), it's doing the same thing. I rinse the strap after every use and hand wash it with a mild cleanser every 3rd use. Before I send it back, I wanted to see if anyone had this problem and found a solution for it. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Replies

• vcorbin01
    vcorbin01 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Crazy enough you mention...I just started having the same problem. Yesterday I was out for a walk and when I looked down it was saying 124 for a long time then all the sudden it jumped up to 189 then a little bit later 0...not sure if mine is a battery issue or not, but I'd like to know the same thing. It's not even 2 months old....
  • shedding60
    shedding60 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Mine is just over 2 months old.....and it's so frustrating! Hopefully someone can help us!
  • vcorbin01
    vcorbin01 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Agreed!!
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Right there with ya. I couldn't even use mine two days ago because it would go to 0 after just a few seconds of starting it up. The next day it worked fine. It's aggravating!
  • jennadelane
    jennadelane Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've heard that washing the strap (take off the transmitter first!) will help with these problems. According to the directions that come with the watch, you are supposed to hand wash it after every workout and throw it in the washing machine after every 5 or so. I was having these problems (jumping to 200+ then to 0) until I started doing this, now I only get them if I did a poor job washing. Also, always be sure to wet your strap before a workout so that it has conductivity to read your heart rate and transmit.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Yes, I throw the band only (I have an FT7) in the wash once a week or so. I've never had an issue. The other thing to try is either loosening or tightening the strap. I would suspect try tightening, but it could be too tight as well.

When you wash it, just let it air dry.
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I've heard that washing the strap (take off the transmitter first!) will help with these problems. According to the directions that come with the watch, you are supposed to hand wash it after every workout and throw it in the washing machine after every 5 or so. I was having these problems (jumping to 200+ then to 0) until I started doing this, now I only get them if I did a poor job washing. Also, always be sure to wet your strap before a workout so that it has conductivity to read your heart rate and transmit.

THIS
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I've had my FT4 since February, using it pretty much everyday and sometimes twice a day. A month ago, I had the same problem you are having so I ordered a new strap off Amazon. All was good til the other day when I noticed my heart rate dropping sometimes to 0 while running. Then if I'd start walking while cussing at the darn thing, it would flash back to the 160's or where it was before. What I found is that my new sports bra was bumping on the transmitter - I now make sure the transmitter is "way up" between my boobs so that the bra doesn't hit it and I haven't had a problem since. I use gel on the strap (instead of water) when I'm wearing that particular bra, too.

FYI: From day 1, I have rinsed the strap after each use and once a week it gets washed in a garment bag with my running shorts and bra.
  • vguynes
    vguynes Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problems. Mine goes from 0% to 124% while I'm doing the exact exercise. I know my heart rate should nver be 0%. Then it says to "check the connection". I take off the transmitter, re-wet the strap, and start over. Within 10 minutes, it does the same thing again! I purchased another strap from Bodytronics, and the same thing is happening using the new strap. I purchased mine in February from Bodytronics and this month is the first time I have experienced these problems.
  • shedding60
    shedding60 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've had my FT4 since February, using it pretty much everyday and sometimes twice a day. A month ago, I had the same problem you are having so I ordered a new strap off Amazon. All was good til the other day when I noticed my heart rate dropping sometimes to 0 while running. Then if I'd start walking while cussing at the darn thing, it would flash back to the 160's or where it was before. What I found is that my new sports bra was bumping on the transmitter - I now make sure the transmitter is "way up" between my boobs so that the bra doesn't hit it and I haven't had a problem since. I use gel on the strap (instead of water) when I'm wearing that particular bra, too.

FYI: From day 1, I have rinsed the strap after each use and once a week it gets washed in a garment bag with my running shorts and bra.

Thank you for all the responses! I will try all of them before i send it back to polar.
  • StarGazer205
    Options
    I'm having the same problem with my FT4! I've had it for 3 months and have used it almost every day. Now suddenly my readout will go very low (which is definitely incorrect) or it goes to "00" and tells me to check my transmitter. I was going to replace the battery but couldn't get the cover off with a coin as instructed. I would think the battery should last more than 3 months. I bought my daughter one for Christmas so I'm going to try her strap with my transmitter to see if that helps. If it doesn't I'll send the transmitter back. I will update my post & let you all know how it works out. I'm so glad someone posted this issue on the My Fitness Pal forum! This little app combined with my FT4 have helped me more than I can say! Good ole' counting calories and exercise.....who knew!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I had similar problems with my FT7 at first. Then I started putting the strap in with the workout clothes in the washer (but not the dryer) once a week and never had a problem again.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    battery issue?

wash the strap?

is the strap wet enough when wearing?
  • bloodysore
    bloodysore Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    What kind of strap do you guys have? Do you have the one that's all elastic with a rubberish area behind the connection or the kind with a plastic section of fabric with metallic mesh behind the connection?
    My wife and I both have ft4s. Mines the girls version and hers is the dudes. She's having the same issues you guys are talking about. She has the first kind of strap I mentioned. I have the second. I had her use my strap the other day just to make sure it was the strap, and it worked fine. I haven't tried her strap with mine yet. I ordered her a new strap, but like an idiot, got the same non working kind. Didn't work right out of the package, so it's not a washing issue.
    She mentioned that she might need to wear it tighter, but when she has it super tight it feels like she can't breathe. I tried on the strap and even so tight I could barely get it on it had a bubble where it didn't touch my skin. Has anyone ever tried wearing it above their boobs, not below? I really need some help with this, I want her to be able to work out!
  • nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have a FT60 and every day I have the same problem that is when I first put it on it does not get my heart rate and I get a read out "check the transmitter" I wear the strap tight and wet it for conductivity every time! It takes a good 5 mins or so to get it to work:-( I never had this issue with my FT7!

I also get the insane HR read out during a workout. For instance today, right at the start of the workout I was getting a reading of 156! I had restart it...then I started getting 00 and after a while it picked back again, I so wish I had stuck with an FT7 instead of paying a whole lot more for FT60!
  • aljeca
    aljeca Posts: 83
    Options
    Mine just did this today :( The watch was showing my HR at 0... BUT... the treadmill I was on was still displaying my heart rate?!?!?! The treadmill stopped showing my heart rate once, but then came back and was fine but the watch didn't come back until I ended the training session and restarted it. I've only had it for a week and a bit!
  • OwenStubbs
    Options
    Have you tried getting help at the Polar forums? http://forum.polar.fi/index.php
  • aljeca
    aljeca Posts: 83
    Options
    Have you tried getting help at the Polar forums? http://forum.polar.fi/index.php

Thanks for this link!! :)
  • Eileen889
    Eileen889 Posts: 117
    Options
    My Polar FT4 went to 0 one time for me at the beginning of the week. I found out that the strap had become a little loose. After I tightened it, the monitor has been working great.
  • CherylK008
    Options
    I was having trouble with my FT4 Strap stopping and starting, then it totally died. Replaced the battery but still nothing. Then I read on this site that giving it a good wash and scrub with a microfiber cloth sometimes works. Well I washed it in warm soapy water, scrubbed it with a microfiber cloth, and its WORKIN AGAIN! all good . Thanks Guys!