Extreme emotions during exercise

Options
I have noticed that about 15 minutes into working out, i become very emotional. Alot of times i will start crying and cry for about 5 minutes while continuing to exercise. The emotions are always extreme negative ones, i never get overly happy feeling, although i always feel better after my workout. If my S/O starts a small arguement during my workout routine, My emotions feel like they are in OVERDRIVE and i tend to over-react to say the least.

I have read other threads on here about how elated people feel while exercising, because they are so proud of themselves for finally doing it, etc.... That is not the kind of emotion i am talking about here. Its almost as if i have no control over my feelings and am just plunged into negative emotional overload and suddenly cant stop crying. This feeling always passes after about 5 or so minutes and im fine the rest of the workout.

Does anyone else experience this type of reaction to exercising?

Do you think its just the way my body deals with releasing my endorphines or something of that sort?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I sometimes feel something similar - I think you're right, exercise release hormones that are very connected to our emotions, so its not really a big surprise to experience something like that!
  • MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    yes you are right but it's incredibly inconvenient!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It is inconvenient - I've discovered that crying while running makes my throat feel like its closing up and its hard to breathe.
    I find that I often feel emotional when I'm running - I guess it must be related to the release of tension, hormones etc... I just try to run through it, which usually works.
  • Jaymazing
    Jaymazing Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not alone here! This happens to me when I workout really hard. Today, I did P90x Plyometrics, and the first ten minutes I kept having to stop to blow my nose, lol. I think it is just a release of endorphins. It's probably very cathartic. The last time I got a massage I cried too. I tend to internalize my stress, and man do I have alot of stressors at the moment. It makes me feel like a big wussy, but I do think it's a positive thing.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    this is has never happened to me. i'm usually too busy being focused on my workout, my form, running as fast as i can, running to the next light, etc to have anything remotely resembling emotion enter my thoughts. i dont get the euphoric feeling until it's done
  • MelissaDoc
    MelissaDoc Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Sometimes in the middle of my run, when I am so deep in my thoughts and having make believe conversations that I have forgotten that I am running, I'll start to cry, or get very angry.
  • Chgosportsgal
    Options
    The first time I did Turbo Fire 55 - I just started laughing ..like out of control laughing! I think because if I didn't laugh ..I would cry! I think my emotions overcome me because I am doing things in my workouts that I never thought I could do and it is such a sense of accomplishment !!
  • Anastasia0511
    Anastasia0511 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    The only time I've ever cried, which was actually a couple of weeks ago was after 45 minutes of weight lifting, a quick 20 minute run and then going straight into the "Gameday" workout from Insanity The Asylum on a 103 degree day. I had already worked out hard enough before I had started Gameday with my weight program and pushed myself super hard during the Asylum. I can't remember what part of the workout it was at, but about 17 minutes left of the video and I don't know what happened, I just pushed so hard and was cussing at Shaun T haha, and we finally got a little smidgen of a break and I started to cry. I was out of breath and stopped myself from really crying but ended up leaning my head up against the wall face first looking down pointing towards the air conditioner vent lol and said outloud, "WTF am I doing?" That was the day I knew I was getting the results I wanted physically AND mentally . I may of worked out a little too close together that day in the hot heat but it was totally worth it. Asylum is amazing and I use both of the Insanity workouts more for my brain than I do for my body lol. Its like therapy to me and pushes me every single time, and I have completed them both 3 times now and it's still like doing it for the first time sometimes. I can easily make it through the workouts but it never gets easier for me. I still gasp for air on occasion lol. I'd like to be as smooth and as fluid and Shaun. That guy is a machine, he's not even real lol.
  • dnmurray24
    dnmurray24 Posts: 2
    Options
    The same exact thing happens to me every time I run. I don't know what it is, but I become overwhelmed with sadness. It's not even at anything specific sometimes, I'll just start tearing up and have to fight it off for at least 5-10 minutes. Have you been able to control it?
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I used to have uncontrollable crying fits when I did yoga. And not like spiritual practice yoga, just big old gym yoga.

I think it was one of the few times during that period of my life where I actually let myself relax and breathe, and everything I was forcing down the rest of the time- stress, anger, tension, worry, would just come flying out.

Think about how we hold big knots of stress in our backs or necks- I would guess you hold it somewhere that has to move when you run. Hopefully you'll work it all out and it will stop!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    My extreme emotion feels like a sneeze.

Just better.

It usually happens about 3 minutes into a vigorous workout.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    While many guys go to the gym carrying a water jug, I bring a box of Kleenex. Truth.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that about 15 minutes into working out, i become very emotional. Alot of times i will start crying and cry for about 5 minutes while continuing to exercise. The emotions are always extreme negative ones, i never get overly happy feeling, although i always feel better after my workout. If my S/O starts a small arguement during my workout routine, My emotions feel like they are in OVERDRIVE and i tend to over-react to say the least.

It's funny, based on the activity my response is different.
    When I'm out shooting, I'm just calm, and focused. Nothing matters, just me and the trigger.
    When I'm at the gym boxing, I'm happy, feeling good, and metally calm and quiet.
    When I do yoga, I can only think about hunting or fighting for some reason.
    When I lift weights I routinely find myself wanting to take a 45 pound plate and bludgeon someone to death for some perceived violation of gym etiquette. I get just filled with rage, then I'm done lifting, and by the time I'm back to my car I'm the calmest happiest *kitten* you'll ever meet.

I really wish I knew why I went through these variances of emotion during these activities. It would be interesting.

ETA - the rage doesn't really surprise me, I keep a lot of emotion bottled up, as I prefer to be seen as a rather stoic sort. I just wonder if the yoga and weight lifting allow me to tap into my more normal or bottled up feelings without any sort of barrier?
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

I have read other threads on here about how elated people feel while exercising, because they are so proud of themselves for finally doing it, etc.... That is not the kind of emotion i am talking about here. Its almost as if i have no control over my feelings and am just plunged into negative emotional overload and suddenly cant stop crying. This feeling always passes after about 5 or so minutes and im fine the rest of the workout.

Does anyone else experience this type of reaction to exercising?

Do you think its just the way my body deals with releasing my endorphines or something of that sort?

how do you deal with emotion on a normal basis? Are you one who normally suppresses it?

I don't have this as much now, as I used to back when I started. But for a while there, when things were really hard for me personally, it was not uncommon for me to lose control after a particularly tough workout. Now that I am managing the emotion and stress better, I don't have that happen as often.
  • joolsabel
    joolsabel Posts: 3
    Options
    How bizarre, I find that after I have done some serious exercise - is 25 miles+ on a cycle or after a really hard spinning session, I feel great but the day after I feel very emotional and could cry at the drop of a hat!

I hasten to add I am a 48 year old, ex rugby playing bloke who has lost 30 lbs (needs to lose another 50) building up excercise and fitness. Love the highs - hate the lows!

Almost depression like state as if body craving the endorphins!

Jools
    Lancashire
    UK