take your vitamins & check them for iron!

Options
Hey everyone, just hoping someone can learn from my mistake!!
I've been on 1200 cal per day for a few months now. Was not taking any vitamins at first, then bought some and began taking them. Now I find out I am anemic & my vitamins had 0 iron in them!! NONE!!!

Make sure you take vitamins & be careful checking the label!

Replies

• xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Multivitamins without iron are safer for use. You also get iron from your diet and iron does not get flushed out of the system. High iron levels are very life threatening. Yours is a special case if you have iron deficiency. Mostly anemia is related to iron levels but B12 deficiency is as common.
  • jencooks
    jencooks Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I suggest only taking vitamins with iron if your iron is low. I don't take them because the ones with iron make me constipated :blushing:
  • rebeccalray5
    Options
    I used to take what I thought was good for me in vitamins and wasn't very consistent with them. I since then have built a good relationship with my doctor and stopped being reckless with my health. My doctor tells me exactly what I can and should take for over the counters as she would for prescriptions. It take two seconds during your visit to check with your DR and get what is best for you. Everyone is different and have different health needs:)
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    My doctor said I have iron deficiency so I take iron alone in liquid form. It's easier to control the intake when you take it on it's own, because as the other posters have said, yes too much iron is actually really bad for the body.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Another benefit of MFP for me is that it shows me which days I have crappy iron intake. On this days I take a gentle iron pill.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    yikes! I take One a Day Energy, it has 1/2 the daily iron and then I try to get the rest in my food because I have had trouble in the past with my iron being too low. It's really important because when u don't have enough iron, you just feel drained!! (hence, me buying the energy version of the vitamin) now that my levels are good, i will probably switch to regular One A Day or maybe something else, cuz I don't feel like I need the extra energy anymore.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!
    It is partially my diet I know! I don't eat much meat & I've had iron issues in the past. I just was surprised that this was a daily multi vitamin & it had no iron! I should have read the label instead of assuming!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Unless you're a low carb carnivore like me. Then make sure your vitamins DON'T have iron in them!