Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Diet on the go, not so easy need some help !

Anyone have any tips for low-cal options on the road ? I travel mostly for work and drive-thru is always the most convient !
Need some alternatives,new ideas to break this horrable habbit ?! I try to pack lunch/snacks to bring with me but it has to stay in the car and the summer heat the doesn't work so well...

Replies

• OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    By stay in the car...do you mean just for that day, or you want things to actually stay in the car so that they're there?

Buy one of those mini coolers to keep things for the day. What I do (or rather, sometimes do) is on Sunday I wash, chop, and bag raw veggies. Then I just grab and go. Hard boiled eggs. cheese strings. Granola bars. protein bars. fruit...if you use a small cooler you can pretty much bring anything. I bought one of those small ones that looks like a giant lunch box. love it!
  • Just for the day. Ive been packing things like sandwiches,fruit,veggies, but by the time im out of work and onto the next job and go to eat my sandwich is sog and everythings warm and soo un appetizing !
  • Maybe I need a new cooler ?
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    if you are stuck with fast food, it's not terrible.
    burgers or grilled chicken on shredded lettuce/salad.
    no fries, no bread.
  • yaninabb
    yaninabb Posts: 12 Member
    what about stopping in a grocery store and getting some fruits, veggies almonds
    burger don't eat the bun, get the fruit instead of the fries
    buy water or diet tea insteal of soda
  • yaninabb
    a cooler will b nice, or thermal lunch bags, just find low calories items that u like
    bread 40 to 45 cals per slice, peanut butter packets, pre wash salad bag, pre slice apples, baby carrots, 100 cal snacks, grapes, apple sauce

Ole mexican tortillas are big, lots of fiber and can be store without refrigeration for weeks after opening, if you get 1 Ole with one of the peanut butter package or a laughing cow cheese wedge or weight watchers string cheese + some of the pre-wash salad and something to drink u can eat better and cheaper.

you can also get baby food, I like the banana flavor and also the dried baby food/snacks

good luck
  • yaninabb
    get containers of bags for every item so they don't absorb the moisture, make the sandwich just before eating

keep the salad ingredients in snack bags inside the bigger container, so just drop everything out of the baggies into the big container before eating and the dressing at the last minute
    also crystal light individual packets or something else for your water
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    If you like the fast food, get a burger and take the bun off. Salad? Grilled chicken?
    i would rather take a cooler so I could keep my lunch and my snacks,
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    I have a mini hard cooler, I find it tends to keep things colder than the lunchbag types do. I love the bags, but for effectiveness, my lil Igloo hard side is best.

I don't think they're that pricey, either :)
  • If none of these things help and it is easier to just go thru drive thru at the last minute think about mcdonalds they have been revamping their menu and they have a nutritional scale online and low cal foods. They even have a meal builder so you know what you can get and the exact nutritional values. Now drive thrus aren't always the best but I found that stopping there and seeing a heallthier way was refreshing. Link for mcdonalds menu builder: http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/meal_builder.html

Also consider buying ice for your cooler and if your sandwiches get soggy try double or triple bagging them or bag the ice in storage bags so the ice doesn't get you're lunch/ meal soggy.
  • thanks for your tips !
  • keithmustloseweight
    keithmustloseweight Posts: 309 Member

Ole mexican tortillas are big, lots of fiber and can be store without refrigeration for weeks after opening, if you get 1 Ole with one of the peanut butter package or a laughing cow cheese wedge or weight watchers string cheese + some of the pre-wash salad and something to drink u can eat better and cheaper.

I know you're trying to be helpful.. but none of that even sounds like real food.

Get yourself a new esky and put whatever you want in it.