once upon a heifer....

Hey everyone, i found this place new years day. I've lost 12 pounds in 8 days, and i really am excited about that, BUT I'm a little worried. if i were to continue to lose weight as rapidly as that, is that normal for any one? anyway, i don't mind it. hope to be friends with other heifers, not someone looking to lose 5 pounds so they can fit back into a size 2. i need real obesity problems, like mine, to inspire me.

Replies

• bj2007
    bj2007 Posts: 41 Member
    I wouldn't worry - it is fairly normal to lose quickly the first week or so. I think it is a morale booster but the loss usually slows down. The trick is not to get discouraged and then regain (which I have done a few times).
  • photoman67
    photoman67 Posts: 116 Member
    A long time ago, before I joined this site, i weighed over 280 lbs. When I first started exercising and eating right, the first 10 or 15 lbs. or so came off pretty quickly. I think that it's pretty normal at first, then you will just start to lose 1, 2, or 3 lbs. per week, which is the healthy way to do it. Just stick with what you're doing, stay on track and you will accomplish your goals.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    It will taper off, you most likely won't contiue to lose that fast. The more weight you have to lose, the quicker it comes off at first, and a lot of it is likely water weight because you are shocking your body into new eating and exercising habits that it is not used to. It will probably taper off to 1-4 pounds loss per week depending.
  • sarahricks
    sarahricks Posts: 90 Member
    Yeah that's pretty normal at first. Alot of it is usually water weight. I think MFP will be great for you. There arer peopl who have easily lost over 100 pounds. Welcome and good luck.
  • justmarie
    justmarie Posts: 59 Member
    Hey there! Welcome to My Fitness Pal :-) ! I am one of those people who are trying to lose 10 lbs or so only to stay healthy and be in a good shape, ha. I am slightly overweight for my height (5'0) but even if my weight is just fine, I still have to lose lbs. My knees started to get stiff and I could not sit in the chair with my crossed legs for a long period of time, too. My doctor told me that my knees will not be stiff anymore if I start working out. I have to admit working out and watching what I eat is very very TOUGH. That's okay, I understand you prefer to be friends who are actually going through the same thing you are. That makes me admire those people greatly, the ones who have been trying to lose more than 100 lbs. My mom is one of them and so my cousin Alexia is, too, or about to. I somewhat do understand where they come from because I have seen them going through this. Very tough and I am so proud of everybody including myself for doing this :-)

Oh, and it is normal for you to lose lbs this fast in the beginning but you will be able to maintain your weight at some point unless you find a workout that will works on different muscles in your body and it will help you burn your calories that were hidden in your body as well.

Good luck and again, welcome to My Fitness Pal!

Marie :happy:
  • once upon a heifer, i woofed down a scrambled egg sandwhich, and boy was it yummy!!!! The snazberries taste like snazberries!!!! wbuwahahahahaha