Weight loss without exercise?

Options
Hi everyone,I'm brand new to this site and because I have a chronic pain condition,am unable to exercise very much.I need to lose about 20kgs,is this possible by simply changing my diet? Thanks.

Replies

• jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Losing weight without exercise is possible, it will be very slow but can be done. If you are able to do anything to move at all be it from a sitting position just move your arms or legs that will help burn some calories. If you're able to do squats over your chair that will help as well. Good Luck.
  • misspersimmon
    Options
    I lose weight without going to the gym or having an exercise program. For me it is mentally and emotionally a lot easier to stay on track by just counting calories and moving my body. I naturally crave activity, so I'll do some aerial silks or bike or walk or swim, just as part of life and not as something I meticulously calculate. I like it much better that way.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    I also have a chronic pain condition, fibromyalgia, You can lose weight without exercising but it takes longer. I started out just swimming a little bit everyday then when it started getting cold I started walking at first just 1/2 way around the block and I very gradually kept doing a little bit more and now after 2 yrs i can walk for 5 miles or more and have lost 105 lbs . You can do it it just takes time
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    It's completely possible! Most will say dieting is 80% diet, 20% fitness. Good luck to you on your weight loss journey.. and welcome!
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yep. Obviously it's you can get some exercise in that will help your efforts, but you can definitely lose weight if you just change your diet.
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    what I've heard from alot of people is... you diet to look good in clothes, you exercise to look good out of them:)

Just move. Even if its a few steps here and there. There is no law that says you have to exercise all at once. Break it up. 5 min here and there will add up. I hope you can lick the chronic pain and get the body and health that you deserve:)
  • Nixenne
    Nixenne Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The 20 pounds I've lost since June have been with VERY minimal exercise, just changes in diet. For me, a low-carb diet has worked very well, but I know it's not for everyone. But yes, it can definitely be done.

And the more I lose, the easier it is to exercise when I want to--and the hip/back pain I lived with for YEARS is much less severe. I'm still not ready for strenuous exercise, but I've been slowly adding swimming, biking and low-impact aerobics to my routine.
  • sassyusername
    sassyusername Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Changing your diet typically has more of an impact on losing weight than exercising, but it's SO much healthier to exercise while trying to lose weight. It can be done but the last pounds will be extra stubborn.
  • TLRivo
    TLRivo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi!

While I fortunately am not in chronic pain (hugs to you hun!) I am a chronic slacker =(

I have been keeping within what this site says I need to (for the most part, curse you too much protein) I have lost 7 pounds since I started this Wednesday. I imagine that's not typical and I make sure to at least get the recommended minimum calories in. So it most definitely can be done!

You should make sure and feel very positive for every pound you drop and feel proud you are doing your best given that you aren't able to do much in the way of exercise. Being positive and having a good attitude about weight loss is almost as important as watching what you eat.

Good luck!
  • padmesarai
    Options
    Hi, my name is Ruth and I also suffer of chronic pain due to ffibromyalgia and I know, believe me, how hard it is to exercise when one is in so much pain but has the doctor recommended any type of exercise for you? at this point I can manage to exercise 1 hour per day, five days a week.

I mean you can totally lose the weight without the exercise but it's going to take you a while.
  • Readynowiam
    Options
    Thanks so much for the encouragement,I have Fibromyalgia also,and Myofascial Pain Syndrome along with numerous other illnesses. At the moment I've got sciatica,so can't do my morning 5minutes on the exercycle at all.
  • Readynowiam
    Options
    Thanks for your reply,I do move quite a bit,especially as I have sciatica at present I can't sit,stand or lie down for very long at a time!
  • Walk4Fit
    Walk4Fit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi "ReadynowIam" - Great screen name, and I'm guessing you are a Star Wars fan .....:happy: Feel free to add me as a friend. I'm Dorothy and my screen name is "Walk4Fit" to remind me to walk daily.
  • cindergirl73
    Options
    Yes, it's possible to lose weight by just watching your food. In my experience, it's mostly my food choices and calories that affects me weight.
  • kie_kie
    kie_kie Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    you can definitely lose weight without exercise. but if you want something low impact to do try yoga

remember weight loss is 70% diet and 30% exercise
  • sfuller911
    Options
    If your arms and back feel okay, I saw on a Jillian Michaels DVD that boxing is popular for lower body injury?
  • gailashton
    gailashton Posts: 292
    Options
    If you can move it's exercise. I too was diagnosed with chronic myofascial pain, arthritis and fibromyalgia. I hurt at 252 pounds without moving, i hurt now but now nearly as much. Move, no matter what you do keep moving. It's what we are meant to do. A walk, a yoga ball with light weights, stretching, leg lifts on the floor. You can do it. Mind over matter. Do you hurt all the time? do it, it won't hurt you. I pray for you and hope you feel better! God bless.....Diet and exercise in some form all go hand in hand. Have a little, you don't need it all to succeed.
  • Jimmytreatingtons
    Jimmytreatingtons Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I believe you can do anything YOU WANT to do, if you don't want to try and do it then you won't do it! Without exercise it will be tougher, but if you want it go and get it! Good Luck
  • thomcat2728
    Options
    Hi, thought I had RH (arthritis) but turned out wasn't taking my thyroid meds correctly for 5 yrs, so pain free now, but.........I would sit on couch and lift small hand weights while watching tv. It didn't seem like much, but due to so many reps for each arm (I started slow and built up), it must have burned cals, cause I lost 3 to 6 lbs a month for several months.......of course I was dieting too. But I am so large, was afraid to do much at first and eventually traded up to 5 lb weights and it always helps me in many ways in including back tone and arm size. Instead of getting bigger, my arms shrank. and sleeves fit now. Seemed to give me stamina, also, don't know why....I have gotton lazy about my weights this year, but last year it was such a habit, I would pick them up several times a night and used them in sets of first ten, then, fifteen then twenty......eventually working up to fifty per direction after 2 or 3 months, swinging them behind couch top, forward to knee, right to arms of couch, then left to center of chest, etc..........any direction that was different so I could do more reps and use different muscles. I didn't know what I was doing but it helped me a lot the first year.....now I am down over 70 lbs and I neglect them, regrettably.......but they helped me feel I was trying.......doing something.
  • stelasparkle
    Options
    I lost weight when I could not work out by sticking to a stritk 1250 cal plan on MFP, I'm 28 years old and had surgery that left me unable to work out much before my wedding, but I dropped the weight and was able to tone up my arms in the nick of time once I was "back on my feet" I even went a few lbs under goal (loved it there! trying to get back there again with MFP!)