Eat More to Loose Weight

Options
Ok. I've seen some posts on this topic but none really answered my question. I came across this while doing P90X and not loosing any weight. Frustrating. I've completed month 1, eating healthy...maybe ate out once or twice that month, nothing crazy. I feel as if I should have lost something...anything...a pound at least. It's estimated that you burn approximately 600 calories (for my body that's correct) after a majority of the workouts.

Then this "Eat More To Loose Weight" concept was introduced to me and it sounds fantastic don't get me wrong -- I'd love to eat a ton of mac and cheese and loose more weight with each noodle but obviously there are stipulations.

So my question is -- How do you know if you need to eat more?

So far today I've eaten:
Calories: 1,094 out of my allotted 1,800.
Carbs: 134 out of my allotted 237
Fats: 37 out of my allotted 60
Protein: 58 out of my recommended 67

I am about to eat my dinner which will be a salad with Turkey. The Turkey was marinated in some Chicken broth and soy sauce with spices. The Salad will be a plain salad that you buy in those convenient premixed bags.

My meals have been about this the past month. I shouldn't be eating more should I?!

Edit: I eat breakfast at 6:30....mid morning snack at 8:30/9:00....lunch at 11:30...dinner (except today) at 6:00

Replies

• TattooedMommy427
    TattooedMommy427 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    yes. you should be eating more. That salad is just going to be around 150 calories, plus whatever dressing you choose. NOT enough.
  • Netterz0087
    Netterz0087 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    How much do you think the Turkey would be? I only ask because I'm having a hard time with the diary food and trying to find certain things. Like just an Egg. I actually had trouble searching for an Egg.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Can't answer your main question, but to find some things, I search "Chicken breast raw" to get precooked weights. Try "raw egg" to get better results. If you don't, you'll end up with every version of egg mcmuffin this side of the Mississippi.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    check out my youtube video on it i think i explain it pretty well!!

http://www.youtube.com/jaymebales83
  • elijhasmomma
    elijhasmomma Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    large eggs are 70 cals. this is what i do...i look at my package of everything and then search for it in the database. if its there and correct, i use it. if its not there i add it myself, if its wrong, i edit it. type in the name brand or just egg scrambled egg or say...youo ate oscar meyer turkey bacon..just type in oscar meyer bacon search and then find the one that fits what u ate
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    try upping your calories for a week and see how it goes. It really does depend on the individual. I tried eating more calories and i plateaued. So for my body i need 1200 to 1300 calories a day. I do cardio workouts (elliptical and walks). It really does just depend on the person. Considering what type of workout you are doing you might want to add more protein to your diet.
  • dbarchus
    dbarchus Posts: 42
    Options
    i like using the barcode feature on the iPhone app...I've found nearly EVERYTHING I've eaten so far that has a barcode, including the turkey I got from my local Pick n Save. The only thing it seems to have some challenges with are the barcodes on some fruits.

I do the same thing as above to narrow down the searches....usually Fresh, baby carrots, or Fresh, red seedless grapes, or even volcano chicken with brown rice like I had tonight. It finds something close enough even for that.....don't be obsessive about it, just good enough in kind and size.

I make sure to exercise 20-60 minutes a day, and usually eat any calories i "earn" with the cardio. I maybe check out a 50-100 calories left on a good day. :)

Just doing that, I I've lost 1 lb a week since I started.
  • kie_kie
    kie_kie Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    when i'm searching for food i try to be as specific as possible
    if i'm searching for egg i type in the type of egg eg. 'medium fried egg' or 'fried egg white' and it comes up fine
    other foods i normally put the name of the brand before it or if its a local dish i put in my nationality before it. eg. jamaican ackee and saltfish

you should definitely eat more though. since you allotted 1800 try to at least eat 1500 or the full 1800 different from exercise calories
  • gldnlark
    gldnlark Posts: 53
    Options
    I saw on "The Doctors," I believe, that you should NOT snack. You should eat no more than 3 meals a day and nothing in-between.

Personally, I think it's fine to stay under your calorie count some...
  • Netterz0087
    Options
    Thank so much for the responses!!

So I need to be specific when searching for items for my food diary.

I'm going to try a week of doing the full 1800 Calories and log everything and see what happens!! And then try under my calorie level and if all else fails...eat a couple hundred more calories than suggested. I'm going to be my own experiment lol

Thanks again everyone!
  • Netterz0087
    Options
    And if I go over my Protein Goal that's not bad right? It's definitely in the red right now :/
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Plug your numbers in here and it will tell you how many calories you should eat for your goals. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Netterz0087
    Options
    Plug your numbers in here and it will tell you how many calories you should eat for your goals. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Coolest site ever. Thanks!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I set it up based on my activity level and it does seem to work. I know my best bud told me to never eat over 500 calories per meal. But, at the end of the day you had to have eaten what the system told you to eat. I know she lost a ton of weight (and so did her friends). It's something to do with the body storing food when it thinks you're are starving. She even adds on the food when she exercises and it tells her to eat. I think it does work quite well. The key is to get as close as possible (not several hundred under). I'd say at least within 100 calories so that your body starts losing. The other part is the small meals. I'm eating about 5 meals (three key ones and two snacks spread out randomly) which helps with never eating over 500.

I don't know if it'll work for you but it's worked for my friend and her friends who've lost over 40-60 pounds so I'm trying it out. So far, I've only been here for about two weeks but I have dropped weight. I did notice one thing - you end up eating healthier when you have to figure out what you'll eat to get that little bit more: veggies, fruits, dairy/cheese...nuts....

Good luck!
  • Avistew
    Avistew Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    And if I go over my Protein Goal that's not bad right? It's definitely in the red right now :/

Oh, yeah, don't worry, it's a guideline, and actually very low for those who are working out and trying to gain. I'm not trying to gain and I still frequently eat double the protein they recommend.

Too much protein can be bad for you, but "too much" seems to mean over 1.5g protein per pound of your weight, so you have a lot of room. The minimum you should try to eat to avoid losing muscle is 0.4g per pound.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I almost forgot, I've found a lot of foods by typing in things like 'green pepper raw'. I usually find several and try to find one that seems accurate. Sometimes just typing it into google helps. If not, look and see if it's been verified several times. Usually you just click the nutrition button once you select it and you can tell if other people have said it was accurate. It's not perfect but it helps.

By the way, the term 'raw' seems to be connected to a lot of fresh stuff like eggs or veggies.

Last but not least, make sure you set your profile to match if you're sedentary, somewhat active...very active...whatever you are so that it helps guide you on the calories.
  • TattooedMommy427
    TattooedMommy427 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    i like using the barcode feature on the iPhone app...I've found nearly EVERYTHING I've eaten so far that has a barcode, including the turkey I got from my local Pick n Save. The only thing it seems to have some challenges with are the barcodes on some fruits.

I do the same thing as above to narrow down the searches....usually Fresh, baby carrots, or Fresh, red seedless grapes, or even volcano chicken with brown rice like I had tonight. It finds something close enough even for that.....don't be obsessive about it, just good enough in kind and size.

I make sure to exercise 20-60 minutes a day, and usually eat any calories i "earn" with the cardio. I maybe check out a 50-100 calories left on a good day. :)

Just doing that, I I've lost 1 lb a week since I started.

Be careful using the barcode scanner. Try to make sure the information is correct. I've had things be 100 cal or more off by scanning the barcodes. I do use it alot, but I always make sure the info is correct since the nutrition label is usually right by the barcode. :)
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    Couple things that I see as I've gone through P90X twice. Most of the results (in terms of weight loss) do not come until about the middle of month 2. If you've measured you should see a difference. Since it's resistance intensive you're replacing fat with muscle. The scale will not move much especially if you've been sore as your muscles will retain water to repair themselves. Muscle is denser than fat so while 1lb of fat is the same weight as 1lb of muscle the space that muscle occupies is much smaller. Think of it like bricks and feathers. You'd need 1 dump truck to haul 1 ton of bricks but would need 50 to haul 1 ton of feathers.

It can get a little tricky with MFP as their method is to use your BMR + Activity Level + Exercise Calories - Weight Loss Goals but with P90X you figure out your caloric needs (you're Level I - 1800). I'm taking a guess that when you figured this out you were higher but reduced to the 1800 as they suggest to lose weight. All good so far.

Assuming your MFP setup provides you with the 1800 Calorie target all is good there but go back into the Goals and do "Custom" so that you can change your Macro nutrients to 40% Carb, 40% Protein, 20% Fat. This is where you should be in Month 2 from a Macro perspective. If you wish to burn more fat you can stay on the Month 1 plan (lower carb) and change those to 30%/50%/20%. Keep an eye on this and if you see the workouts becoming more difficult you may need more carbs for fuel. At that point, I'd change to the 40/40/20. Now you should have the right macro levels to shoot for and either enter your exercise calories but ignore eating back your calories (reduction already done with the P90X method) or simply don't log your exercise at all. Just eat your 1800 as the P90X nutrition says.

From there use the Portion Plan from the Program (Month 1 Portion in Parenthesis if you go the lower carb route):

Protein: 4 - 3 oz servings per day...most lean meats including chicken, turkey, fish, shellfish, lean red meat, eggs and protein powder will provide ~100 calories each 3 oz serving (Month 1 Portion is 5 - 3 oz servings)

Fats: 1 - 1 Tbsp serving per day...good fats such as avocado, olive, canola and flaxseed oils (Month 1 - same)

Carbs: 2 - 2 servings of 200 calories each. Examples: Whole grain brown rice, quinoa, pasta, oatmeal, 1 sm potato/med sweet potato, 2 slices whole wheat bread, etc. Check the serving sizes but most of these are about 1 cup (Month 1 = 1 serving)

Dairy: 2 - 2 servings of 120 calories each. Examples: 1.5 slices low-fat cheese, 1oz 1% cottage cheese, 8 oz skim or 1% milk, 8 oz nonfat yogurt, etc. Again check the serving sizes of what you get. Most should be in this range. (Month 1 = same)

Fruits: 1 - 1 fruit with 100 calories. Examples: 1 med apple, 1 med banana, 1 med grapefruit, 1 cup grapes, 1 large orange, 1 cup berries, 1 cup watermelon or other melon. (Month 1 = same). This was my least favorite part by the way.

Veggies: 2 - 2 servings 50 calories per serving; Generally about 1 cup of most veggies; 2 cups of leafy veggies (Month 1 = same)

Condiments: 1 - 1 serving 50 calories; This is your dressings, marinades, etc. I always used light balsamic vinaigrette

Snacks: 3 - 3 servings approximately 100 calories each; You can double them if you want a Protein bar, nuts, etc.
  • Netterz0087
    Options
    I set it up based on my activity level and it does seem to work. I know my best bud told me to never eat over 500 calories per meal. But, at the end of the day you had to have eaten what the system told you to eat. I know she lost a ton of weight (and so did her friends). It's something to do with the body storing food when it thinks you're are starving. She even adds on the food when she exercises and it tells her to eat. I think it does work quite well. The key is to get as close as possible (not several hundred under). I'd say at least within 100 calories so that your body starts losing. The other part is the small meals. I'm eating about 5 meals (three key ones and two snacks spread out randomly) which helps with never eating over 500.

I don't know if it'll work for you but it's worked for my friend and her friends who've lost over 40-60 pounds so I'm trying it out. So far, I've only been here for about two weeks but I have dropped weight. I did notice one thing - you end up eating healthier when you have to figure out what you'll eat to get that little bit more: veggies, fruits, dairy/cheese...nuts....

Good luck!

What sort of snack items have you been having? I was eating alot of fruit but some coworkers suggested cutting back on the fruit because of Sugar and suggest nuts/trail mix/etc... I like the bad nuts so I can't snack on those but I'm down with trail mix. I was just hoping for some suggestions....
  • Netterz0087
    Options
    Couple things that I see as I've gone through P90X twice. Most of the results (in terms of weight loss) do not come until about the middle of month 2. If you've measured you should see a difference. Since it's resistance intensive you're replacing fat with muscle. The scale will not move much especially if you've been sore as your muscles will retain water to repair themselves. Muscle is denser than fat so while 1lb of fat is the same weight as 1lb of muscle the space that muscle occupies is much smaller. Think of it like bricks and feathers. You'd need 1 dump truck to haul 1 ton of bricks but would need 50 to haul 1 ton of feathers.

It can get a little tricky with MFP as their method is to use your BMR + Activity Level + Exercise Calories - Weight Loss Goals but with P90X you figure out your caloric needs (you're Level I - 1800). I'm taking a guess that when you figured this out you were higher but reduced to the 1800 as they suggest to lose weight. All good so far.

Assuming your MFP setup provides you with the 1800 Calorie target all is good there but go back into the Goals and do "Custom" so that you can change your Macro nutrients to 40% Carb, 40% Protein, 20% Fat. This is where you should be in Month 2 from a Macro perspective. If you wish to burn more fat you can stay on the Month 1 plan (lower carb) and change those to 30%/50%/20%. Keep an eye on this and if you see the workouts becoming more difficult you may need more carbs for fuel. At that point, I'd change to the 40/40/20. Now you should have the right macro levels to shoot for and either enter your exercise calories but ignore eating back your calories (reduction already done with the P90X method) or simply don't log your exercise at all. Just eat your 1800 as the P90X nutrition says.

From there use the Portion Plan from the Program (Month 1 Portion in Parenthesis if you go the lower carb route):

Protein: 4 - 3 oz servings per day...most lean meats including chicken, turkey, fish, shellfish, lean red meat, eggs and protein powder will provide ~100 calories each 3 oz serving (Month 1 Portion is 5 - 3 oz servings)

Fats: 1 - 1 Tbsp serving per day...good fats such as avocado, olive, canola and flaxseed oils (Month 1 - same)

Carbs: 2 - 2 servings of 200 calories each. Examples: Whole grain brown rice, quinoa, pasta, oatmeal, 1 sm potato/med sweet potato, 2 slices whole wheat bread, etc. Check the serving sizes but most of these are about 1 cup (Month 1 = 1 serving)

Dairy: 2 - 2 servings of 120 calories each. Examples: 1.5 slices low-fat cheese, 1oz 1% cottage cheese, 8 oz skim or 1% milk, 8 oz nonfat yogurt, etc. Again check the serving sizes of what you get. Most should be in this range. (Month 1 = same)

Fruits: 1 - 1 fruit with 100 calories. Examples: 1 med apple, 1 med banana, 1 med grapefruit, 1 cup grapes, 1 large orange, 1 cup berries, 1 cup watermelon or other melon. (Month 1 = same). This was my least favorite part by the way.

Veggies: 2 - 2 servings 50 calories per serving; Generally about 1 cup of most veggies; 2 cups of leafy veggies (Month 1 = same)

Condiments: 1 - 1 serving 50 calories; This is your dressings, marinades, etc. I always used light balsamic vinaigrette

Snacks: 3 - 3 servings approximately 100 calories each; You can double them if you want a Protein bar, nuts, etc.

Thank you so much! I went back and customized my goals to reflect the 30/50/20. It definitely had me set on here at 1200 calories a day which was honestly tough for me and I was super hungry after each meal. Which left me confused because of what the P90X guide had said (1800) than I realized I had to add the 600 calories for the workout, so I just left it at 1200...when I enter the workouts it jumps up anyways.

Out of that whole guide the recipe I liked the most was the Lemon Dill Salmon. I tried to keep up with the food schedule but honestly it got expensive for me. Now I probaby can go back to their schedule. The only thing I did have a issue with was the Breakfast. [Warning: Excuses] I'm not a morning person and do not get up early enough to make the breakfasts but I found a great recipe in P90X2's Nutrition Guide that I've been making a head of time for the week which has been working well.