Letting depression get the best of me

Options
Feeling lonely and depressed tonight, not sure how to get out of this mindset. Anyone else stuck inside on a Friday night? :/

Replies

• somemansdream
    Options
    I'm also feeling depressed. The best way I have found to get rid of depression is hard physical labor--for me that usually means yardwork. However, running a fever tonight so not going to be able to do that. I hope you find something that makes it easier to get through the night. Debbie
  • loozit4good
    loozit4good Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Exercise and B-vitamins. Best drug for depression. Sometimes doing something nice for someone else. Go get a starbucks card for $5 and leave it in a friends doorstep with a nice note. You'll be surprised how you get your mind off yourself.
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You're young and beautiful! Don't be sad. Think of all the good things in your life. Tomorrow is a brand new chance to succeed. xo
  • laneydawn
    Options
    Call up some friends and go for a girl's night! Keep your chin up honey - tomorrow is another day.
  • shannajojo
    shannajojo Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    When I'm depressed I start thinking about all the things I'm grateful for like my family, friends, basic necessities, living in America, etc... It really helps. Sometimes, it might be chemical or hormones. Eat foods rich in Vitamin B like pork chops.
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    I'm stuck in the house every friday night. My hubby is 4000 miles away, been gone for 2 months and won't be back till mid October. I'm living in the mountains where I don't know anyone and I have a toddler so I feel your pain. But it's not forever and we can just try to enjoy the quiet alone time because there will be many more exciting days to come :-)
  • HellySuccess
    HellySuccess Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Evenings can be hard, and Friday evening the hardest, especially if we're single. Do something nice for yourself that doesn't involve food - maybe go for a walk if the weather is nice? Go to a park and watch dogs playing? Whatever does it for you.

Our emotions are just "for now." Tomorrow is a new day, and you'll feel better.

Sending you good vibes and good energy!
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    People who don't or never have dealt with real, clinical depression have no idea what it's truly like. I struggle with it every single day and have for most of my life. Some of the things that help me:
    Distraction. A good movie, book or music
    Friends
    Sex
    Meditation
    Having someone you can talk to who understands what you are dealing with.
    And knowing that you aren't alone, there are people our here who understand and deal with the very same issues.
  • Joethebull
    Options
    Feeling a bit lonely and depressed also. Usually I'll draw, read comics, or play video games. But I work graveyard shift and got working in a couple. So listening to music(weird al, Jonathan Coulton,Steven Lynch) is always another alternative.
  • texaricangirasol
    texaricangirasol Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Do something nice for yourself! Just because you are inside doesn't mean you can't pamper yourself.

Some ideas:
    watch a movie that you love that you haven't been able to see in a while.
    make a spa night
    do something that you usually leave for saturdays (task, chore, etc) so that you can enjoy your weekend even more.
    read a good book

If you can get out, but don't want to go out alone:
    how about going out and buying yourself your favorite flower
    window shopping.
    or going out for a walk
    or drive around a new neighborhood or sightseeing.

Anything you can do with other people, you can usually do when you are by yourself.

Don't get discouraged...you can even google your favorite topics or some off the wall question that you think about at times,but never look up.
  • ohsogoodfitness
    Options
    I truly wished I would have stated my feelings here as u did tonight. Instead I covered them up with food. Good for u, and thx for the idea. I know these things r temporary. Logic seems to not be so close at these times. I do love the idea of surprising someone. Think I'll accept that challenge. :)
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've found a good substitute for the binge eating I used to do is video games. Make sure you exercise first, so you get your workout in for the day instead of sitting glue to the console, LOL.

But seriously, pretty much any game will help...just play something for an hour you enjoy, whether it's Angry Birds on your phone, a Wii game, an Xbox game, a Nintendo DS game, etc. Right now I'm playing Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie on the Xbox Live Arcade. I played both of these games when I was younger and even though there is action/combat in the games, they are really fun and full of humor. (Rated E for everyone also.)

Not everyone likes video games, but it helps me take my mind off things and have fun...there's lots of games out there though, not just the bazillionith Call of Duty or Battlefield shooter. A lot of people I know who aren't into the standard action/adventure games like things like Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon--look into those, very lighthearted games.

Feel better :)
  • allnewellie
    Options
    On the worst days, I journal using "stream of consciousness' I use colored pencils, sharpies, different types/colors of pens, etc. and let my mind flow. Sometimes it's quite dark and full of things I didn't even know was on my mind. Sometimes it's pictures of people I know or bits of conversations that have been floating around in my head that maybe need another look.

I also suffer PTSD, so I have to set a timer when I have one of these sessions, or I'll end up in the deep end quick & in a hurry.

Hope you each take a moment for yourself today!
  • girish_ph
    girish_ph Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Even I tend to get depressed - get a bout every day. I'm on anti depressants. Any ideas to fight it from the group??
  • HellySuccess
    HellySuccess Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Also on antidepressants here; have tried to wean myself off them and am way down on my prescription, but still need a small dose every second day.

The best antidotes to despair I've found are gratitude - thinking about all everything in my life that I'm grateful for; and exercise (the hard breathing, sweaty kind).

Best of luck to you, and remember, you're not alone.
  • shannonj8489
    Options
    I try to count my blessings and be happy but it's like something deep inside won't go away and that gnawing feeling of depression is always there...
  • annoz
    annoz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I try to count my blessings and be happy but it's like something deep inside won't go away and that gnawing feeling of depression is always there...

Have you ever talked to a doctor about these feelings? I take an anti-depressant and have for most of my life. Every few years I think I'm good and I go off it and it's not good at all!

You are not alone in your feelings though...most people feel this way at some point or another and it's great that you are voicing yours- it helps to get it out. True clinical depression might mean medication for you, but even if that is the case you are not damaged goods or forced to be on them forever.

I am not using anything anymore to hide these feelings (no food, alcohol, drugs, etc) so have just been facing them head on and if I can forge through so can you. You are NOT ALONE!!