No longer active Marine (and former high school athlete)

As the subject title mentions I am a no longer active (once a Marine, always a Marine) United States Marine that was also a former high school athlete that never worried about what he ate, or how much. The scale tonight showed the highest number that I have ever seen, 350, but the scale and I do not have a reoccurring schedule of any frequency at all. I typically weigh myself at the most once in a year (and that is being generous).

Have heard about the myfitpal app from a couple people I know and they have given it rave reviews, one even by his MD's direction. So I decided to give it a try (the reason for the weigh-in). Tracking my food on a daily basis is going to be the hardest habit to form, but I'll get there if I keep at it.

Replies

• Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Welcome :drinker: You will definately make it.

Thank you for your past service.
    Be honest when you track it does get easier.
  • Misssey
    Misssey Posts: 2
    Welcome...You can do this !
  • cakelady69
    cakelady69 Posts: 228
    Welcome you can do this! Friend me if you would like and we can support each other.
    Thank you for your service. My father was a Marine and yes your always a Marine!
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Thank you for your service. Glad you are here.

Tracking your food intake can be a real eye opener. This site has great tools and some really smart members. A great place to start is this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
  • trizzell79
    trizzell79 Posts: 153 Member
    Welcome and congratulations on heading towards a healthier you!
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Disabled vet here. Feel free to add me if you want someone to help keep you on track. That is if an old jarhead can stand to associate with an even older army grunt! :laugh:
  • Katherine_Nelson
    Katherine_Nelson Posts: 70 Member
    Welcome to the MFP family!

And Thank you so much for your service. =D
  • Thank you for your words of encouragement, they mean a lot.
  • Thank you!
  • Disabled vet here. Feel free to add me if you want someone to help keep you on track. That is if an old jarhead can stand to associate with an even older army grunt! :laugh:

Thank you for your service and the sacrifice that you still make on a day to day basis, struggling with your disability. As to your comment about associating with an old army grunt, well, we like you guys just fine. You guys come in and rebuild the infrastructure after we have rendered the area safe for you... :D
  • Welcome to MFP, its a lot easier then you think , you juts need to get into the habit of checking in and logging...the more oyu do it the easier it is!! Good luck, you can do it!
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Thanks so much for your service!!!! A new chapter in life now and you will need to find what works for you! This is a great sight and can help for sure! I would suggest once you get a start at losing the weight you will also need to make some serious plans as far as finding some new things you can enjoy that kick your *kitten* into shape! You obviously have what it takes in you! I found it hard (and still do) to have got older and not have as much access to "team sports" ...I loved it in high school and some after but at 45 it's much harder to find women my age who want to play soccer or other team things! Anyway, try all sorts of different things and get out there and start pushing yourself! Soooo good for the mental stress too!!! Good luck (add me as a friend if you like!!). :0)
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    ...oops I mean 48... Hahaha (****!)