Guys 6' 2"+

Options
Just curious what the real world guys on here who around 6' 2" tall actually consider to be a realistic weight to be ?

I'm just starting and am currently 267, played football as O lineman, played soccer, basketball and volleyball and probably haven't been below 200 since I was 14. I'm now 48.

I've seen claims that ideally I should be between 150 and 190. That seems an enormous window, so I was just wondering what other guys have as targets or have found to be attainable and sustainable.

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Options
    I'm a couple years older than you and a few inches taller (6'6"), started this journey at 263 (the heaviest I've ever been). The BMI charts put my "healthy" weight range between 160-216 lbs. Personally, I think the person who invented BMI was on drugs. I've been as low as 212 in my adult life and it was too skinny for me - at the lower range of what's considered a "healthy" BMI (that 160 range), I'd look like a human skeleton.

I'm shooting for 215 as a goal weight this time, but doing things differently than before (high protein intake, less cardio and a lot more weight training to preserve LBM), so I'm hoping to arrive there at somewhere around 15-17% BF and see where it goes from there. I can't see shooting for anything below 200 at this point.
  • alex88carolina
    Options
    I started at 389, now i'm at 301 I want to get to around 260 but everyone tells me with my broad body structure it would look weird and I should stay where im at. Its really all up to the person and where you feel happy at.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    i'm 6 4, i was down to 232 and about 14 percent BF% (pictured in my profile at the top), but i was down from about 375, so I carried a bit of loose skin. I'm thinking another 15-20 pounds less would be do able/look decent
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'2" and this morning I weighed in at 213. :smile:

220 actually looks really good. I'm just being vain and trying to see if I can get some definition in my abs to show. I don't think I'll every drop under 200. That would be a bit too thin for me I think .
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'3" and pretty large framed. My bodyfat percentage as of today is around 22%, and I weigh 344 lbs.

I'm aiming for 15-20% for a goal, so my goal is 310 lbs right now. Granted, I've got ENORMOUS legs that are just about solid muscle, and I'm an amateur strength athlete, so I've got a large muscle base to start with.

I would recommend finding out your bodyfat estimate and working from there.

This is a good site that takes your whole body into account if you don't have calipers (the formula's been within about 2% of my caliper readings every time):

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/cbbf/

Good luck!
  • thebrianmo
    thebrianmo Posts: 108
    Options
    I'm 6'2.5 and my ideal weight is 280. Once I get to 280, I will decide if I want to drop any more.

I began at 428.5, currently at 376
  • mwcraig34
    mwcraig34 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'3" my heaviest was 349 and my lightest was around 270. At 270 I felt great. I have a very large bone structure and quite a bit of muscle mass. I weight 325 today and my body fat is at 33%. I'm currently working to get back down to the 270 range. I had a Doctor once tell me that I should be 225-215? Oh well I dont think I will see that weight anytime soon I'm 37 years old.
  • orangechair
    orangechair Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just curious what the real world guys on here who around 6' 2" tall actually consider to be a realistic weight to be ?

I'm just starting and am currently 267, played football as O lineman, played soccer, basketball and volleyball and probably haven't been below 200 since I was 14. I'm now 48.

I've seen claims that ideally I should be between 150 and 190. That seems an enormous window, so I was just wondering what other guys have as targets or have found to be attainable and sustainable.

Yeah, that whole "ideal weight" thing gets goofy for guys our size. I'm 6'4" with more of a medium frame (which is a big consideration - if you were an OL, I suspect you're not in the 'medium frame' category), and I've seen 155 as the low end of the 'ideal' range. Ummm....not so much.

To the point - my personal goal is 195, but that will definitely be on the slender side and I haven't been doing much on the strength-training side. For exercise I've been doing mostly walking on a treadmill and swimming. I'm trying to see if I can get into the running thing in my middle age (I'm 40), so now that I've dropped some weight (and won't be killing my joints with as much to carry), I'm slowly starting that. 195 is also appealing to me because after years of having a '3' as the first digit of my weight, having a '1' in that spot would be nice.

The long and the short of it is that I'd look at that 'ideal' (cough) range and shoot for something within 10-15 pounds of the high number just as a target. I treat this whole thing as a competition to see if I can bust my butt enough to get in the best shape of my life - with all the sports you've played, make up some competitive targets for yourself and knock 'em out.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    As a little addendum to prove that a "realistic weight" is not always the same based on height:

This is what 344 lbs looks like on a 6'3" frame with 22% bodyfat:

IMG_1093-sm2.jpg

So, technically, any weight is possible. It just depends on what you feel is right for you.
  • ciobair
    ciobair Posts: 69
    Options
    Thanks for your input guys.

I'm thinking I'll maybe set my first goal at 210, given what I remember of my playing weights and see how it and I feel.

Most of my weight is carried on my upper torso, (fancy term for beer gut, even though I hardly drink), so hopefully that will reduce a lot.
  • rmn1972
    rmn1972 Posts: 20
    Options
    I am 6'1" ( is that close enough?) and I am 57 years old. I started at 303 (But I couldn't admit it so I said 300!) My goal is 220 and at that weight, I will be lighter than I have been since high school and i was 14 then. Athough I would love to be around 200, I think that is unrealistic for me.