Curious to hear a non-bias Fitbit review...

Options
Just saw this on the site, I'm curious to read from people who have one...perhaps an informal survey from those who do?

1) What are your stats/fitness goals?
2) How long have you had it?
3) What do you like/dislike about it? How has it helped?
4) Is it just a glorified heartrate monitor?
5) Are there fees beyond the initial 95 dollar unit?

Replies

• Aphrodite7782
    Options
    Curious also...
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    bump.. also curious
  • gte495e
    gte495e Posts: 1
    Options
    I have had mine about 3 weeks and am loving it. It doesn't track heart rate at all, everything it tracks is based on movement. The only weird thing I have run into is if I am wearing a dress and wear it on my bra strap the altimeter seems to get a little cranky and overestimate how many flights of stairs I have climbed - I think it has to do with the device being sideways. There are no fees beyond the device itself.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    1) What are your stats/fitness goals? I'm in the middle of losing 100lbs - down 60 as of today. I'm a 29yo girl.
    2) How long have you had it? Had it since May 2012
    3) What do you like/dislike about it? How has it helped? It made me realise that I don't move at all at work, and my half hour walk each day isn't enough to make me more than sedentary, I've really gotta go for an hour or more just to maintain my weight if I want to eat like I do.
    4) Is it just a glorified heartrate monitor? It's not a heart rate monitor (the only thing I don't like about it). It's a glorified pedometer. It tracks steps, and floors climbed, and not much more. A HRM is designed to be worn only during exercise. Fitbit is worn all day.
    5) Are there fees beyond the initial 95 dollar unit? There is the option to go 'premium' at $49 a year, but I haven't taken it up yet. This gives you more detailed data and training plans as far as I'm aware.

I love Fitbit because it encourages me to move all day, not just during my planned exercise. If I want to track the burn of a particular exercise, I whack on my HRM and make the adjustments on the Fitbit site for that time period. I like that it sets goals for you, and tracks stuff on a weekly, monthly and yearly basis as well as each day. I push myself to reach at least 10,000 steps each day.
  • baleeth
    baleeth Posts: 1
    Options
    Have had it for a few weeks. Got it because of rave reviews from friends also losing weight. I was using body media, but got tired of the monthly fees. There is a fee program with fitbit, but also a free one. I have been using the free one. It tracks steps, activity, miles and sleep activity. Every week you get a weekly overview of how active you have been via email. It is small and easy to put on and forget about. Wirelessly downloads to my computer and works with my fitness pal. I've been happier with it than with the body media armband because I can look at my stats during the day and see how many steps I've done without being by my computer. Hope this helps!
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    1) What are your stats/fitness goals? To lose 60lbs, currently sitting around 185
    2) How long have you had it? a few years? It's a first generation (one of the first few thousand distributed actually)
    3) What do you like/dislike about it? How has it helped? I found the website/tools for tracking food etc clunky and under developed so I never used it for that purpose. I loved using it to track my sleep (and still do for when i am having issues). i use it when Im on vacation to keep a general idea of how much hoofing around we do. Has it helped me lose weight? when i first got it and used it religiously, i lost maybe 5 pounds by tracking my steps.
    4) Is it just a glorified heartrate monitor? mine doesn't have a HRM on it, but glorified pedometer? abso****inglutely.
    5) Are there fees beyond the initial 95 dollar unit? not that i know of but i haven't used it since oct 2010

summed up. nifty little device, the newer ones for sure have more bells and whistles/may be worth the money. I personally wish i had saved the $100 and used it towards a nicer garmin which has been more beneficial to me as far as training goes with running/distance and heart rate monitoring. i also have a polarfit F6 for when I'm not running to keep track of my HR and don't need anything but the hr and calories tracked.
  • ponyfan81
    ponyfan81 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    1. I wanted to lose 90 lbs total...bought it when I was about 20 down, and it has been vital to helping me eat the proper amount (i.e., avoid plateaus and consistently lose) for the next 46 (and counting.

2. Since March or so of 2012

3. I dislike how it can come unclipped from your jeans...as it did once and I had to replace it. It's also not waterproof, so I get a little nervous when I sweat a lot and I have it on my t-shirt collar. It does tend to pick up 50-100 steps for every 30 min or so of driving, so I usually take it off in the morning while I get ready for work to offset that. I really like how accurate it is (surprisingly so), how it creates my own challenge to be move active and climb more stairs, and how it automatically adds additional calories for being "Active" (not just from exercise) to MFP. Many of us burn more than we realize, and the fitbit helps you track that. I generally eat back about 80% of the calories it adds on a daily basis (sometimes none, sometimes substantial).

4. No, as noted above the syncing with MFP is a fantastic feature, and it also will sync with endomondo for exercise tracking. I love the stair climb tracking feature and how it is tremendously less annoying to wear than a HRM (with nearly the same accuracy).

5. No
  • StrelitzSio
    StrelitzSio Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1) What are your stats/fitness goals? I've lost 40 lbs since I've had it, still a bit more to go
    2) How long have you had it? I think it was around October/November 2011
    3) What do you like/dislike about it? How has it helped? It keeps me motivated. I check it several times a day to see how I'm doing and if I haven't come close to a goal, or if I've surpassed it I find excuses to get in more steps/climbing floors
    4) Is it just a glorified heartrate monitor? Not at all, it's a sleep monitor, tracking system and motivator. I sync it up with MFP so that my nutrition is also tracked and between MFP and fitbit I get a better idea of my activity levels and consumption.
    5) Are there fees beyond the initial 95 dollar unit? There is premium, but that's only necessary for an extra motivation or boost - unnecessary for my purposes.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Just saw this on the site, I'm curious to read from people who have one...perhaps an informal survey from those who do?

1, mantain activity level
    2, since the end of feburary
    3, like...its small dosent rub my arm raw like the body bug nock off i had, and reminds me to get off my *kitten* and move, dislike rimindes me i need to get off my *kitten* and move more.
    4, no its a pedomiter on steroids
    5, only if you sign up for a "?prime?" mebership, which you realy dont need unless MFP has made you a touch OCD (like me) on traking your stats....but for 90% of people the free mebership is more than enough;)
  • verapamil
    Options
    Lose fat, build muscle, better cardio ability
    About 2 months-ish
    I like that it tells me pretty exactly how active I've been that day. I work on my feet all day long and it's cool to see how much more I walk on really busy days. I also like that it sets up online goals for you (10,000 steps, 5 miles, 10 flights of stairs, and some amount of calories burned/ day). On days that I really don't feel like doing anything, I just look at that and feel the need to meet my goals. Although I've only met the "calories burned" goal once (it's really high, like 2800+). The only thing I've found that I dislike is the stair counter. There are times when I'm at work all day (all flat surface) and it counts that I went up a flight of stairs (has been as high as 3 flights when I'm 100% sure I didn't climb any). Yesterday it counted 1 flight while I was at work, today it didn't count any. I haven't figured out how to fix this.
    Not so much of a heartrate monitor as a pedometer on steroids. The more active you are in a certain period of time, it makes a flower grow. There are up to 11 leaves on the stem and it's cool to see how many you can get. (Most I've gotten is 10 though, even after running/walking a 5k)
    There's a "premium" feature that you can try for free for a week. I did it and it was cool but not worth the 49.95 I thought. The free version is good enough for everything I need.

I like mine very much. I wear it everyday and would feel lost if I forgot it one day. I would recommend it, even with the stair issue. :smile:
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    My daughter (18) and me (48) wears ours all the time, except we have sleeping disorders, so I have something else for sleep monitoring, so I've not used that part. We've loved ours and I am really getting a good picture from the charting details that MFP doesn't give.

BUT. . . just today, we went for a walk together and she got more leaves on her flowers and her calorie count was higher. The only thing I can think of is whether it is because of our weight difference - me being 50 lbs heavier than her??? If anyone has similar results alongside a friend or family member. Otherwise, I need to find out why such a big difference.

Any info is appreciated. (oh, and neither of us set our stride measurement)
  • CaptainSunflower
    CaptainSunflower Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Stats:

25 year old girl, looking to lose 75 lbs(ish), been trying to lose weight since April and down 0 lbs (yes, that would be a goose egg! GAH)

I've had it for roughly two months

I like that it takes the guesswork out of daily calories burned. It has helped me in that I realized I was severely underestimating how active I was throughout the day. I was eating 1500 calories and burning nearly 3000 a day. Oops! I still haven't lost weight while using it and I've been searching for the reason why that is - sleep? water? healthy diet? I've been playing around to try and figure it out. FitBit only tracks the calories you burn through the day; it won't tell you what you're doing wrong.

As others have said, it's a glorified pedometer. I like the recording capabilities - I can press record, go for a 35 minute walk, and when I get back, it will tell me how far I walked, how many calories I burned, and what my mph was ever minute of the walk (I got faster after I realized I needed to find a bathroom.) They probably aren't doctor's-office accurate, but for me, FitBit reduces a lot of the guesswork. I love that you can look at it throughout the day and see where you are. Should you go for a walk at lunch? You can tell based on the calories you've burned thus far.

You only have to pay the start up $95. There is a premium membership, but I haven't investigated it. I'm perfectly content with the basic model, and it accomplishes all that I need.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I can't answer all those questions but I have a FitBit and here's my unbiased review.

Buy a heart rate monitor.

I love my FitBit and if you're looking to increase NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis) or walk as your main workouts it's wonderful. I'm glad I have it and it's made me more conscientious about my general activity level.

If you lift, do Pilates, Yoga, bike...it's worthless. It calculates my TDEE (incorrectly because I lift) and sneak adds exercise calories to MFP like ninja. In a perfect world I'd have an HRM and a FitBit. If I had it to do over again I'd get Polar FT4.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    27 Female, looking to lose 100+ pounds and get fit.

Few months, I don't remember exactly when. Maybe May?

I love how it gives me my total calories burned for the day. I don't have to set an activity level, it just adjusts as my day goes. One lazy day I can burn 2100, and the next I can burn 4000 and it's right there at my side to keep me in check. It also gives me motivation to keep moving. I love watching that little flower grow!!! I do dislike how sensitive it is in my car, though. I often get credit for 4-5 flights of stairs when I'm driving in my car. I hear that the sensitivity is related to the cars suspension and how low to the ground it is (mine is very low). Once I log the activity on the site as "driving" the flight count goes back down, but on days I forget to log it I end up overestimating on my cals.

It's nothing like a HRM, you don't get a heart rate. It's a pedometer and so much more. It's great for people who want an idea of how much they move in between exercise. I am a nurse and I'm on my feet a lot, so I loved having it in numbers how much I was burning at work.

Nope! Edit: Oh right, they do have that premium thing... I've never used it! Never paid a penny after paying for it.
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    My daughter (18) and me (48) wears ours all the time, except we have sleeping disorders, so I have something else for sleep monitoring, so I've not used that part. We've loved ours and I am really getting a good picture from the charting details that MFP doesn't give.

BUT. . . just today, we went for a walk together and she got more leaves on her flowers and her calorie count was higher. The only thing I can think of is whether it is because of our weight difference - me being 50 lbs heavier than her??? If anyone has similar results alongside a friend or family member. Otherwise, I need to find out why such a big difference.

Any info is appreciated. (oh, and neither of us set our stride measurement)

Forgot to mention also that we do NOT eat back our exercise calories, so exactly how accurate it is doesn't register as high for us. It gives us enough info that it's keeping us moving.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options

1. I'm 5'8, starting weight 173 current163 goal weight 152
    2. Since April 2012
    3. I initially had my goal set to 1200 and had stalled out after losing 5 lbs. After getting fitbit I realized I was eating too little for my body. I was burning 2500-2800 a day and only eating 1300, and creating too much of a deficit. I am set on the 750 cal deficit. I now eat anywhere from 1600-1800 depending on fitness. I like that I am able to adjust my cal intake to my level of activity for the day. I also like that it syncs with MFP. I like that I'm able to see how active I am at work and at home.. In the past I have grossly overestimated the calorie burn of a 30 minute video workout.
    My only dislike is when I zumba at my gym it says I climb a ridiculous number of stairs. I do have a set of stairs in my home and that count is usually accurate.
    4. No it does not measure heart rate.
    5. No fees unless you opt for the prime feature which I have not.
  • PattyG2
    PattyG2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have one. I definitely like it. My original goal was 70 pounds. Twenty down and fifty to go. I've had it a couple months.
    What I like;
    1. Very small and light. About the size of a money clip. It clips neatly and securely on the pocket of my pants.
    2. Automatic recording of all your steps and climbing. I'd tried a pedometer before, but I just couldn't seem to get around to logging the steps into the computer each day. This does it all for me.
    3. I admit to being a techie fan. It has a neat look and easy to use and recharge. It has a little charging stand that you plug into the USB on your computer. The charging dock also serves as communications sync if you don't have WiFi at home.
    4. It has a little display, that shows, time, steps, calories burned, stair flights climbed, 'activity flower', 'friendly greeting' or stop watch function. The 'activity flower' grows taller when the level of your activity remains high. The greeting is programmable for one short message to yourself and random other saying ie "Let's go!"
    5. Absolute best, it automatically updates to your MFP account with the calorie value of your activity. I'm not a runner or anything, just a mom, but I can see on my busy days that I have the right to be hungry for a few extra calories. And it's ok.
    6. The sleep monitor function is interesting (see #3) but not really necessary. Mostly I wear it at night (on a soft cuff provided) because I find it easier not to forget to put it on the next morning.

What I dislike;
    1. When I forget to put it on.
    2. It's still not psychic. If I'm doing a chore or activity that's streneous, but does not include moving, such as washing the dog, I have to log the time for the activity on the fitbit site (or MFP). It has a pretty good source list for activities.
    3. Minor issue with steps that 'record' when you are traveling in a car. The vibration and movement of the car fool it. It's not a significant amount though.

How it helps: It keeps me more aware of what I'm doing. I'll check it occasionally to see how I'm doing. Reminds me of the basic principal of "Eat less. Move more."

It doesn't record heartrate. That's the BodyBug, I believe. As for being a glorified pedometer... well yes, but I enjoy it and like to see if I can make goals for each day.

No fees. You have a free account at the FitBit site. You can see your progress each day, activity levels by five minute intervals. It has food tracking, but it automatically gets a feed from MFP on the totals for each meal. They do have a 'premium' level, but it's not really needed for most folks. It allows you to download all your data history. This is probably for professional trainers.

Hope this helps everyone.
    Patty
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thanks everyone for taking the time to provide your feedback. Excellent stuff!!
  • Littlegurl
    Littlegurl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Just got mine today. Already love it!!! Very user friendly. And the free membership is awesome. Since I linked it to MFP the free membership is all I need.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    1. I have 60 lbs left to lose.
    2. 5 months
    3. It's helped me to keep track of my activity levels and encourages me to do more. Not much about it that i don't like. It doesn't adjust for your body's natural tendency to burn less calories as fitness improves.
    4. No. It's more like a glorified pedometer. It doesn't track heart rate at all.
    5. No. It is a one-time fee for the device and they offer continued product support. Their customer service is top notch!