Gaining weight doing 30DS?

Options
I am on day 9 of level one of 30 Day Shred. I haven't lost any inches. I haven't lost any weight. In fact, I've gained 5 lbs. Has anyone else had this happen? It's really discouraging and is bumming me out.

Replies

• Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    It might help if you open your diary then we can make an educated opinion. Maybe you're retaining some water? :flowerforyou:
  • Ivana331
    Ivana331 Posts: 230
    Options
    hmmm I am sorry. I Just finished day 10 level 1 and I have lost 4.8lbs so far... I am sorry you are not having the same results. Are you eating enough calories??
  • adiannen83
    adiannen83 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's too soon to start tracking inches. After a month is much better. In some areas, you'll only lose a quarter or half an inch. Just keep going!
  • Annie_Fannie
    Options
    bump to send you a reply later........
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    It happened to me too. I have yet to start it again because I want to lose weight not gain, but it does build muscle and muscle weighs more than fat, so it's a good thing, but it SUCKS! You might be retainging a lot of water if your kinda new to it. Don't get discouraged yet, see what happens after another couple weeks!
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    It most likely *is* water retention of some sort, but there's no telling with a closed diary. Are you eating within your calories? Are they maybe set too high if you are? Are you eating too much sodium, causing excess fluid retention on top of the normal fluid retention you get from starting a new workout? There are several factors, at least...
  • timd50
    timd50 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Either eating too much/overestimating workout calories or water retention. Those are just about the only possible answers.
  • OAvalos
    OAvalos Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I gained 2 lbs the 1st 4 days. I'm on day 8 and i'm down those 2 i went up plus 2 more. Your body may just be holding on to water. Give it some time. I heard people start dropping after the first 2 weeks. DOn't get discouraged, keep at it.
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    muscles retain water for any sudden changes in excercise pattern.like the others said complete the 30 days and then measure.drink lots of water and take adequate protein.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Exact same thing happened to me, are you close to your goal or not overweight? Overweight people tend to lose weight on this, I'm not overweight so I gained a little newbie muscle but lost 13.75 inches by Day 30! Take your measurements, at this stage it's water weight so just trust the process, throw away your scale, get out your measuring tape and stick with the plan!!!
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I gained 5Ibs when I went from doing bugger all to exercising (actually doing the c25k programme). I think I've heard it said that your muscles will retain water so they can make adequate repairs whilst you're on down time. This will apply especially if you're using the weights with the 30DS.

Could also be something in your diet - if you're not balancing sodium and potassium for example. 9 days is such a short time in this lifestyle change of yours though - don't be disheartened!! You have years to get in shape, and remember, it didn't take 9 days to get the extra inches :)
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    it does build muscle and muscle weighs more than fat, so it's a good thing, but it SUCKS!

She won't have built enough muscle to "weigh more" in 9 days. And muscle doesn't actually weigh more than fat.....
  • Nu_Journee
    Options
    I had a similar issue with another program. I read something really technical but it had to do with the muscle tearing that happens when you strength train and those muscles retaining water. I was sore all the time but I guess my body got used to it. I noticed the moment the soreness went away the weight dropped.
  • wayne4825
    wayne4825 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm on the second go around of 30DS and I didn't see any results the first time and not seeing much this go around either as far as inches and lbs gained or lost.
  • Scoobydoo1180
    Scoobydoo1180 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    it does build muscle and muscle weighs more than fat, so it's a good thing, but it SUCKS!

She won't have built enough muscle to "weigh more" in 9 days. And muscle doesn't actually weigh more than fat.....

I have heard muscle doesn't weight more than fat. A pound is a pound. That being said, muscle is more dense than fat so someone could be adding on muscle under the fat. Plus what everyone is saying about muscle retaining water when you use them. I have heard this. I have never done 30DS but when I start working out steady again, I feel like it takes 1 1/2 - 2 weeks to see the "jump" on the scale...you'll get there, just keep it up!!
  • Emmetkelly
    Emmetkelly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Exact same thing happened to me, are you close to your goal or not overweight? Overweight people tend to lose weight on this, I'm not overweight so I gained a little newbie muscle but lost 13.75 inches by Day 30! Take your measurements, at this stage it's water weight so just trust the process, throw away your scale, get out your measuring tape and stick with the plan!!!

I'm overweight, still about 50 lbs from my goal.

Thank you for the replies everyone! I'm starting level 2 tomorrow and I'm hoping I'll start to see a drop soon. I haven't noticed any physical changes as of yet.