Anyone have a GOOD digital scale that IS RELIABLE?

Options
SORRY, i am new here, and i bet this question is posted many times already, but, i could not find it in 'search'.

I have a digital scale, which i like because it has large font read out that i CAN read from 68 inches above, yay!
but,
if i get off and get back on it, 5 seconds later,
i can get a slightly different number, a pound or so either direction.

not a big deal, a pound or so off, i guess,
BUT,
if the scale gets moved even half an inch across the floor
it can be off by FIVE pounds or more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and the scale does get moved around a lot, no idea if i step on it on Friday, IF it is same Exact spot it was on Thursday, see what i mean?

DOES ANYONE HERE have a digital scale,
that gives pretty close to same weight again, if you move the scale around the floor??
Are all digital scales like this? or is mine just wrong brand, or what??

OR SHOULD I JUST GO BUY AN OLD-FASHIONED SPINNING-DIAL SCALE?? <----those kind CAN be zero'd day to day, so you always are starting from zero,
but wow, they are so hard to read if one is tall with poor vision....

Replies

• chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have an old digital Tanita body fat scale that I've had for years. It's been consistent with both weight and body fat measurements. No complaints.
  • ittyXbittyXbritty
    Options
    Ironman scale. best scale I've ever used. Shows you your body fat percentage, water percentage, and a few other things.

http://www.amazon.com/Tanita-BC554-Ironman-InnerScan-Composition/dp/B0007ZH18M
  • rubylt
    rubylt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I went through this and thought this was just "something i had to live with" until i found out that my mom & sister both had scales that would read the same if you got on them 5 times in a row! So I went back to Bed, Bath & Beyond where I had gotten my previous one and what I did was try out the display ones. They are not locked down (at least ours aren't) - so one by one, I put the ones in was interested in down on the hardwood floor of the shopping aisle and went through over 4 different scales until i finally found one that consistently gave the same result multiple times in a row. I bought that one and have had wonderful results at home - no more fluctuation! although, it took away the leeway i sometimes had to "guess" at whether i'd really gained or lost, ha ha.... this is my suggestion though - hope it helps!
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I don't think such a thing exists. The best scale I've ever bought is this one:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005URI2VW/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M2T1_SC_dp_1 but even it reads a couple points different from minute to minute. The best thing about it is that it's pretty wide, so I feel more steady standing on it than other scales - I think the steadiness helps the accuracy.
  • waytogoraus
    Options
    I bought my Weight Watcher's digital scale a few years ago & it has been incredibly accurate ever since. It's always consistent for me (I weigh myself at least once a day, sometimes multiple points during the day). I went to the doctor's for a physical appointment & the scale there registered me at the same weight as the one I have at home.

http://www.target.com/p/weight-watchers-glass-scale-red/-/A-13438765#reviews-and-ratings

The reviews on there aren't great, which really surprises me. I've had zero problems with mine and would recommend it.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I have the eat smart bathroom scale from amazon. I like it and it doesn't give me different readings.
  • mittensforkittens
    Options
    I've actually had the exact opposite experience with the weight watchers scales :( It fluctuates about 5 pounds depending on how I stand on the sensors. I think it's a few years old- I share it with family members and they bought it before I moved in so I am not sure if it was accurate originally, but at the very least they don't wear very well.
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I have the WW digital as well and have had no issues. But, I think with any scale the less you move it the better. If you can find a spot and leave it there. Good luck!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I have a Health-O-Meter scale from Walmart that also does the BIA bodyfat measurement. While the BIA isn't accurate at all (none of them are), the scale itself is very consistent - if you step on it three, four, five times in a row it always registers the exact same weight.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    weight watcher digital scale- costco- 14 bucks:love:
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Mine is a Health O Meter scale and it is always accurate. You can move it all over the house and weigh five times and it is the same--exactly. I love it.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I put it on the tile floor and stand on it and check it. I do that like 5 to 10 times until I see the most standard reading. That's what I go by. I think no scale is perfect. I figure if it goes down and the weight is lower significantly and I can get on it multiple times and get the same reading - well then - that's the weight I document.

My mom has a scale that always weighs me two pounds heavier. I prefer mine. It's not so horrifying.

I actually would love to get one of those doctor scales but they are expensive.

Here's how I think of weight scales - the more you weigh - the more the earth loves you. I'm hoping at some point gravity will start disliking me and will let me float upwards a bit. Grin.
  • jebo1982
    jebo1982 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I also have the weight watchers scale. I like it. It gives consistant readings. I've had mine for about two years.
  • inkedlady88
    Options
    I have the eat smart bathroom scale from amazon. I like it and it doesn't give me different readings.

I too have the Eat Smart bathroom scale (it's whichever model has the most reviews) from Amazon and I love it.
    It doesn't give body fat or BMI readings but I wouldn't trust a scale (or shell out the extra $) for one that did.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I have a Health-O-Meter scale from Walmart that also does the BIA bodyfat measurement. While the BIA isn't accurate at all (none of them are), the scale itself is very consistent - if you step on it three, four, five times in a row it always registers the exact same weight.

This! I use this one and it's incredibly accurate and consistent! :]
  • MrJase
    MrJase Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Here in the UK Salter scales a a good make they have good quality scales plus I have a set which I can plug my laptop into for graph read outs etc. They have served me well
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Yes, but they cost. And you won't find one in walmart or anyplace like that. MyWeigh PD-750 Digital Scale, runs around 200$
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    *bumping*

*going back to bed*

Damn cold.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    wow, am i glad i asked! what a great community here!! i am learning a lot around here on MFP.

FGcQE.jpg

I especially appreciate those who mentioned the exact brand they use which they are happy with, also the person who described how she chose one by testing it out at the store, is good idea. Thanks again everyone who answered, each and every one of you!!!

i am guessing i WILL stick with digital scales,
    and try harder to keep scale in same spot from day to day,
    maybe mark where on floor the scale IS with some tape maybe...
    and if it is still giving different numbers all the time, i will check out the brands listed above.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    for now, i have read up on this, turns out lots of digital scales do this. Til i can buy a new one, i am following the person above's advice, about not moving the scale around so much, put it in new spot so it won't be in way.

I also found,
    it seems like,
    if i step onto it slowly,
    i think i am getting a more accurate reading
    sometimes now, i can get exact same number 3 times in a row!! (so long as i do not move it across the floor)

ALSO, it seems,
    if i let the scale clear it's own display,
    prior to re-weighing,
    it seems to give me exact same number 3 times in a row, so long as i let scale clear it's own display on it's own.

Then i tried holding a mostly full 16 oz bottle of mouthwash, and scale did add about 14 oz to my weight.

i am feeling a little bit more confident about my scales now...til i can buy one of the ones recommended above.