Sore neck when doing sit-ups

Options
eresin
eresin Posts: 104 Member
Hey All,

Pretty much every time I try to do sit ups I get a very sore neck, I mean more the front around the throat area, like I'm straining it during the sit ups. I have no idea how to stop this.
I have very poor core strength so when i try to pull my abs in to lift me up it doesn't really work very well and that's when I end up straining my throat/neck area, so I know I'm pulling from my neck more than my core.

Does anyone perhaps have any advice? I've tried having my fingers behind my ears, I've tried right at the back of my head. Someone once told me if I stick my tongue out during it it stops the straining but none of these work, now you can imagine I look silly failing to do sit ups with my tongue hanging out haha!

I know that eventually as my core strength gets better it will likely hurt less, but right now I struggle to do even 2 sit ups before having to stop because of the pain.

Is there maybe an alternative exercise I can try instead of sit ups that will still work my abs. I'm doing the 30 day shred and find the ab parts very very difficult to complete and maybe if I had an alternative it would stop me from just packing the whole thing in.

Many Thanks

Replies

• XxSarahKatexX
    Options
    Odd. Maybe try focusing the work on your abs rather than your throat? I personally used to strain my neck when i did crunches until she said to bring your throat up haha, but still, it should be done with your abs mostly.
  • XxSarahKatexX
    Options
    Odd. Try crunches instead of sit ups? And maybe try focusing the work on your abs rather than your throat? I personally used to strain my neck when i did crunches until she said to bring your throat up haha, but still, it should be done with your abs mostly.
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, instead of doing sit ups from the floor I use an exercise ball now which is helping to increase my ab strength but I'm not straining my neck.
  • XxSarahKatexX
    Options
    oops lol. meant to edit : P
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yes that's quite common, I struggle with that too.

I keep my fingertips right behind my head, gently tocuhing (not pulling) on the back of my neck. I also open my mouth slightly. And make sure I engage the ab muscles before starting the movement.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If you're straining the back of your neck, you're pulling it too hard with your hands. When the pain is in the front, usually it just means the muscles in the front of your neck aren't used to the exercise, for the same reasons your weak core isn't. Keep your hands off your head and neck and focus on the ceiling. Your body should adapt soon.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    focus on keeping a neutral neck.

thats why i put my hands behind my head but never let them touch it or push it forward.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    youre straining your neck trying to pull yourseld up with those muscles as opposed to your abdominals. as another poster said, never push your head or any other part of you body. Yes, it is way harder.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Sit-ups are horrible for your neck. Theres really no reason to do them because there are many other far better ways to work your core.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    It's probably gonna be like that until your core gets stronger. Your abs are not strong enough to pull yourself up just yet so your engaging other muscles to get it done. Also your form could be off, maybe start off with crunches for a while at least until your stronger. Personally I dont' like sit ups because they have been known to cause strain on your back and neck.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    You could stop doing situps :-) Do Plank, mountain climbers, or if you have a stability ball do Stability ball roll outs or Russian Twists. These are better than situps or crunches anyway.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    When I do situps I don't even put my hands behind my head.

I put them straight out at my sides(hands pointing towards my feet) and then try to reach for my feet as I sit up.
  • twonkieone
    twonkieone Posts: 132
    Options
    me too!! the trainer at the gym has me use a stability ball and the cable machine instead. i sit on the ball, hold the handle in front of me, have the machine at 80 pounds and i pull down/bend so that basically i'm doing a sit up from a sitting position by pulling the weight down rather than my body weight up. I do full motion and i do quick mini-pulses. hurts like hell! :) not sure if i explained that in a way that makes sense! i also use the ab machine at the gym - one where you pull your legs up while your arms are stationary --- pulling lower body up rather than trying to support head/neck.
  • Seraph1120
    Seraph1120 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You could stop doing situps :-) Do Plank, mountain climbers, or if you have a stability ball do Stability ball roll outs or Russian Twists. These are better than situps or crunches anyway.

This! These are awesome core exercises. Ones that my trainer has me doing instead of regular situps.
  • BrokenBarbiexoxo
    BrokenBarbiexoxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    When I do situps I don't even put my hands behind my head.

I put them straight out at my sides(hands pointing towards my feet) and then try to reach for my feet as I sit up.

same and I STILL strain my neck horribly every single time!
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Do planks instead.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    You need to keep your chin back. (ETA: always look at the ceiling, not in front you.) :-)

And to help, imagine there is a rope pulling you up from your chest instead of your neck.
  • charlena48
    charlena48 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Have you tried push-ups against the wall [standing]? At work we have a wellness nurse and that's what she told me to do. I had neck surgery last November and am still healing from it. Hope this helps. :smile:
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    You have a lot of good suggestions for alternatives to sit-ups. Let me add some more: Pilates toe taps and leg raises.

Single toe taps
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlnfZBQwPaA

Double toe taps (once your core is stronger)
    http://www.ehow.com/video_7627070_workout-yoga_-double-toe-taps.html

Leg raises
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB2oyawG9KI
  • Seraph1120
    Seraph1120 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You have a lot of good suggestions for alternatives to sit-ups. Let me add some more: Pilates toe taps and leg raises.

Single toe taps
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlnfZBQwPaA

Double toe taps (once your core is stronger)
    http://www.ehow.com/video_7627070_workout-yoga_-double-toe-taps.html

Leg raises
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB2oyawG9KI

Oooh...I gotta do these. Thanks for sharing!