Oatmeal: old fashioned vs. quick cook

Options
Ok I understand that on the scale of types instant oats are the worst because they have flavors (and therefore added calories, fat & sodium) and steelcut oats are the best, most unprocessed and all that jazz but they take too long to cook for me. I'm awful about making a bunch in advance and reheating it so I prefer to make a single serving in the morning. Is there really a difference between the old fashioned and the quick cook kind? my nephews prefer the quick oats because they get creamier and I don't notice a difference in the nutritionals unless I'm missing something.

Replies

• JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, and I have been eating Oatmeal since I was a kid, the only real difference between the the types (baring added flavor & sugar ::noway: : ) is how much they are cut up during processing. Steel cut oats are the least cut -- therefore take the longest cook, old fashioned are next, then quick oats, and instant is one step up from oat flour. This does affect cooked texture some, but not nutrition. Personally I have always liked the quick oats -- 1/4 c with 1/2 c water inthe bowl then the microwave and I have breakfast. :bigsmile:
  • jrhm
    jrhm Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I like the quick oats too, however I add 1 teas of soy flakes, 1/4 teas cinnamon, 2 teas flax seed powder, and some raisens to 1/4 cup oats and 1/2 cup water. Cook in microwave for 2.5 minutes at 90 power. Then I add 1 pk of Splenda and some milk.
  • jilly280
    jilly280 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What ever I have time for I will make. On weekeneds I have time to wait for it to cook but in the week I don't have the time to wait for it to cook. So I go with the fastest ones.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I use the Quaker 1-minute oats. Rarely I will use the packets if I am in a huge hurry and need convenience, but the 1-minute oats make more per serving and keep me fuller longer.
  • mrsbeck
    mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I eat the Quaker old-fashioned oats. They take about 90 seconds in the microwave. I like the texture better than the quick oats or the instant.

I thought the steel-cut oats were too expensive for the size of the box, so I haven't tried them yet. Maybe after I go back to work.