Does this bug you, too?

Options
Since Sunday I've been sick with what I think was an extended stomach bug. I wasn't able to eat much of anything but I was still logging what I did eat.

I now realize that some of my friends aren't actually viewing my diary before they comment when I complete my diary. On one of the days that I only managed to get a few saltines down and some water, a friend posted that I'd had a rocking day.

That's just not supportive at all. Am I the only one that feels this way?

Replies

• ShaunMc1968
    Options
    I hope my friends look before they comment -I generally pick out a good meal they have had or make a specific comment so they know that I have viewed it. Otherwise, it's a waste of everyone's time.
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. Look before you comment. Also, not just about the diary, but exercise too. If I say I did a 20 minute walk and it was a rest day, comments like "killer burn" and "rockin it! show me that people are just responding like robots, not responding to me. I'd rather have no comments than ones that show no interest.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    Yes, it bugs me too. I look at diaries and comment when my friends have done well. I do not post a positive comment on, say your situation, or someone who got all their calories from 1 Mc D's meal and the rest from beer? If I had a friend who posted only a few saltines? I would PM you to ask if you were ok? but I would not comment, that you did a good job at all.

It drives me nuts when people comment I did great, when I didnt reach my goal of at least 1200 calories...
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    For this exact reason I don't normally comment on diary's - I simply don't have time to look at everyone's eats and I don't want to be encouraging serious under-eating.

I do have a couple of friends that have really struggled however - and if I see they went under I have a look and offer whatever positive comment I can.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i yell at people when i see them stray, but i admit to not always checking.. although i don't post if i don't check.

it does seem like a lot of people mean well to be encouraging.. but its so fake.

i ate like 600 cals one day i had a cold and people were like yea! you go girl!

then same thing when i binged on a half a jar of peanut butter. i want people to yell at me, not tell me i'm doing a great job when i'm obviously not.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I normally don't comment on diaries BUT I have noticed people congratulate people on my feed, so I've had a look & I'm WTF why are you congratulating? I'm a bit like Macas in that I will generally reference an exercise, meal or personal point if I comment on posts :)

Russ
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    If I look I comment & I would hope others do on mine too but I guess they don't. My favourite friends take note of what I suggest, usually about more veggies and I would take note of what is suggested for me. Otherwise, why bother at all?!?!?
  • munchlaxx
    munchlaxx Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does. I only comment on people's diary updates after I've read through their food choices. I disabled my diary updates since I grew tired of the comments, since I am not even sure they read my diary? Bah!
  • ShaunMc1968
    Options
    For this exact reason I don't normally comment on diary's - I simply don't have time to look at everyone's eats and I don't want to be encouraging serious under-eating.

I do have a couple of friends that have really struggled however - and if I see they went under I have a look and offer whatever positive comment I can.

I think this is the problem, people gather friends like money, perhaps less is more?
  • Mabohlale
    Mabohlale Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    So agreed! Most of my friends (I only have a few) look and make specific comments ... but it bugs me when people do this to my other friends. Especially a few that are serious under-eaters with eating disorders or people that have 800 calories worth of brownies and ice cream. "Great day!" um ... not so much! =p
  • BunnyPandaLove
    Options
    Yea, I didn't like the fake support... which is why I don't have anyone on my friend's list anymore.
  • jsygurl
    jsygurl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just don't view diaries - I don't know anyone well enough, what they are struggling with, what their diet plan is like, what they can eat, can't eat - what the stress levels in their life are like - the thought of commenting on someone overeating to find that they had the worst kinds of day - well, I just don't want to be that person. I think if someone records overeating, good on them for owning what they did by recording it. if they record undereating - well it could be they were sick, it could be that they fast as part of their plan.

Also, I am really not fit to comment on other people' s eating! Just about coping with my own! So all in all, I don't view, and don't comment. I don't make my diary public either - I am accountable to myself.
  • daoc1972
    daoc1972 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm new here, so only have one friend who is very nice. But I think it's counterproductive to be so mindless about commenting. I'd rather no comment than a robo-comment. I get that kind of "encouragement" from the computer on my recumbent bike.

This reminds me of a gal who I would always e-mail with something specifically meant for her. She would reply with forwarded e-mails that were obviously not written by her to me (Funny pictures from the internet or jokes, or chain letters). Eventually I got tired of it and called her out. She stopped e-mailing me altogether, which was fine by me. No more stupid chain letters to delete from my inbox.
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I don't look at diaries but I do sometimes comment if they have stayed under their calorie goal I'll say well done or awesome or something like that. I didn't even realise I should be checking the diaries - oops !
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    You can change your settings so you don't get an automated update on your feed announcing that you're under your calorie goal - the announcement itself makes it sound like it's a good thing, which I think is why people post congratulatory things. Realistically, most people aren't going to look at all their friends' diaries every day. If I was under my calorie goal for negative reasons, and I wanted my friends to be aware of this, I would probably post a comment under the announcement. I'm more likely to look at someone's diary if they've written a comment about it.

I've actually never got any comments on those announcements about being under one's calorie goal, and I've never made a comment either, unless the person has commented on it themselves. I don't see being under one's calorie goal as being an intrinsically good thing, but I think many people here do see it that way.
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I have some good people on my flist, people who seem to pay attention to what i write. I also have a few that never comment, or comment mindless things-i was actually about to do a cleanup of my list-id rather have five people on it who i feel like i know, and who care about me (and vice versa) than a bunch of mindless "you go!" comments, or no comments at all.

That said, i have my own settings so that my diary doesnt update when i complete it for the day- only my exercise shows. Ive never understood the point of having the app announce to everyone everyday that i finished counting my calories for the day. Um... Good for me? So i just set mine not to show that.

I do make occasional status updates tho, sometimes about how im feeling or having a bad day, or something funny that happened, and its nice to get feedback on those, and for myself who's only been exercising a few months, even a simple 'great burn' after ive really kicked my butt exercising -i dunno, it just feels nice. And i encourage others on their exercise too, but i dont post 'way to go!!' when someones entry says 'janes burned 20 calories going upstairs t o get the laundry'. I mean, come on.
  • MrJase
    MrJase Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Do you not think that they are just saying its great that you are still logging your food and taking the time out to come to this site and update things. Not the fact of what you have eaten just the fact that you are still logging? Means your are still commited to losing weight
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    which is why i have my diary private and made it so when i complete it, it doesn't post to my newsfeed.
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options

I think this is the problem, people gather friends like money, perhaps less is more?

I have about 50 friends, of those 50 friends I talk to every single one of them. I NEVER comment on their diaries, if that makes me a horrible and unsupportive friend then I guess I am a horrible and unsupportive friend. I just really could care less what they are eating.

If on the odd chance I do look and notice they are super low I will go back in their diary to see if it is a regular occurrence, if it is I will send them a PM asking whats going on and if they need suggestions. If it is one day out of a month I generally let it go and don't say anything.
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Do you not think that they are just saying its great that you are still logging your food and taking the time out to come to this site and update things. Not the fact of what you have eaten just the fact that you are still logging? Means your are still commited to losing weight

If thats to me, yes, thats possible, but personally i just find it a waste of time, so i prefer to set my diary not to announce that i finished logging :) if it helps some people great, more power to them. Its just not for me.