What healthy snack is your comfort food?

Options
fatsis
fatsis Posts: 1,117 Member
I am struggling on finding a good healthy snack that just absolutely satifies my cravings. I could eat my weight in chips and salsa but I can not find chips low enough to really enjoy.

On one of my previous diets carrots and lowfat ranch dip was staple in my diet but right now does not even sound good.

Looking forward to seeing the responses for some good ideas

Replies

• fatsis
    fatsis Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I am struggling on finding a good healthy snack that just absolutely satifies my cravings. I could eat my weight in chips and salsa but I can not find chips low enough to really enjoy.

On one of my previous diets carrots and lowfat ranch dip was staple in my diet but right now does not even sound good.

Looking forward to seeing the responses for some good ideas
  • BlackBeltLJ
    BlackBeltLJ Posts: 190
    Options
    Since I pack my lunch box every morning I always include my snacks- Nature Valley Roasted Almond bar (11 carbs), Quaker Rice packs (low carbs) and South Beach Granola pack (low carbs) I don't eat all three in my am but have them with me as I race around all day at work and with my kids after work. I do keep a couple of sugar emergency things in my box also (new diabetic) but I love my other snacks so I ignore them!:love:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    oooo do I have a suggestion for you my friend!!!

I have discovered the most delicious salsa dip that tastes like its soooo bad but it only has 25 cals for two tablespoons and you can use it as a dip for veggies....its whipped and creamy and OOOO so good!

Its by Tostitos and its called Creamy Salsa...I just went online to find a link but nada maybe its new I got some at Walmart and it was the hit on Mother's Day...alittle hot but soooo good!

good luck! that's my new comfort food btw LOL...w/ a nice big bowl of veggies:wink:
    hugs,
    Ali
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I LOVE air popped popcorn with that "I can't believe it's not butter" spray.
    Fills me up so I am less likely to nibble.

I agree fatsis, I could sit and eat chips and salsa to my little hearts content but I struggle with the chip issue as well (so they HAVE to be a splurge for me) and veggies just don't do it for me in that case.
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    These are my favorite munchie foods (you can eat alot without using too many calories)-
    *Popcorn - like 3.5 cups for 100 cals
    *Fiber One Cereal - 60 cals for 1/2 cup - Fiber content almost zero's out the calories, be careful not to eat too much at first if your not used to having alot of fiber in your diet, side effects can be unpleasant.
    *Celery
    I also like - Fat Free Cottage cheese with lettuce, tomato, peaches, or strawberries - it actually goes well with alot of things - filling
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I hate it when I double post :ohwell:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I have fallen in love with tofu and fish quesadillas :)
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Since I pack my lunch box every morning I always include my snacks- Nature Valley Roasted Almond bar (11 carbs), Quaker Rice packs (low carbs) and South Beach Granola pack (low carbs) I don't eat all three in my am but have them with me as I race around all day at work and with my kids after work. I do keep a couple of sugar emergency things in my box also (new diabetic) but I love my other snacks so I ignore them!:love:
    I agree with the Nature Valley bars... I love the fruit and grain and the berry ones. They statisfy with that salt carving but not bad. I also love a seving of cottage cheese with pineapple tidbits.. YUMMY GOOD LUCK:smile:
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Yeah, light popcorn is my healthy snack "saver" - I call it a saver b/c when I get the munchies it's always satisfying! Yum, Yum, Yum!!!

I can also eat chips and salsa ALL DAY! Especially Chili's chips and salsa! But any will do! Well, salsa is almost across the board low cal. I agree with you about the chips though. Have you tried the WOW Tostidos??? (spelling?) I know they are made with olean but it doesn't affect everyone the same... in fact, it doesn't affect me at all. And I think you have to eat the whole bag for your stomach to get upset... once again, moderation is key! Yeah right!!! Haha! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: What's moderation??? :bigsmile:
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Try dipping celery in chunky salsa or spicy picante sauce instead of chips! You can sprinkle a little salt on the celery if you like to make it even more chip-like.

I also :heart: laughing cow light wedges. SO good. 1 wedge + 21 small pretzel twists = 145 calories and super tasty.

Apple slices with some hard or low-fat cheese is also filling and yummy.
  • dogwdots
    dogwdots Posts: 146
    Options
    I love fresh fruit - especially a good juicy orange. If I am craving something sweet it works well.
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    A slice of stone-ground whole-grain toast with my better butter on it. I take a half cube of butter and slightly melt it in a dish, add 1/4 - 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, whip it up and refridgerate it until it solidifies (the more olive oil, the healthier). Keep it in the fridge and it will be solid. Spreads great on toast.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    FitKB, I totally agree! When you are munchin it's hard to moderate. Anyone else have that issue? When I "munch" it's kinda when my brain is fried and isn't registering how much (which is probably how we got to where we are).

I haven't tried the WOW Tostitos yet, I REALLY love the Multi-grain ones though....so yummy.... but pretty heafty on the calories still. That's why they are my "special treat."

Oh! I totally :heart: Laughing Cow products. I get the light rounds and use them on reduced fat wheat thins....yum!
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    For the S'more craving that is hitting because every time I go to the grocery store the whole entire makings are at the entry, gotta love the displays:

1 graham cracker sheet
    2 tbsp of lite cool whip or fat free or sugar free (whatever is on sale)
    couple of pinches of choc sprinkle

That's my current I've been a good girl treat!!

Or frozen berries and a little cool whip on top too. Depends on the mood.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I do crackers with tomato and swiss...... ok so its relatively high in calories, but tis healthy and munchy and I love it :bigsmile:
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    O' I also love Granny Smiths with Peanut Butter... yummy and o' so filling!!!
  • pauladavies86
    pauladavies86 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It's hard to replace chips and salsa so really I wouldn't try to when it's what you're craving! If you're like me cravings don't just go away.... That said, have you tried the baked chips by lays? I honestly like them more than fried chips and they're healthier... Right now we have a bag of baked doritos which comes in at 120 cals for 15 chips so no, it's not celery but as a treat it sure isn't going to kill you! The potato or corn chip variety may have slightly different cals but that's a ballpark.
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Most of the stuff that y'all talk about as "treats" I eat quite often. Baked lays, pseudo s'mores, light cupcakes, etc... this perhaps reflects how I could be making better food choices for my allotted calories...

Today's example:

1 cup quick grits w/margarine
    1 pecan twirl
    1 chicken artichoke lean pocket
    strawberries
    4 mini snickers dark candies (damn the office candy bowl!)
    1 serving Quaker multigrain minis w/ laughing cow cheese
    1 salmon patty on wheat bread w/laughing cow, some kind of sauce, and lettuce
    1/2 cucumber
    1/2 bottle of brut champagne (it is actually our anniversary TODAY, but the weekend was the real cheat)
    1 reduced calorie cupcake with frosting

Totals about 1700 with some leftover (I earned 300 from exercise today)
    Is that like, WAY worse than what y'all usually eat or what??
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    heres my top ten low cal/low fat healthy treats in no particular order and reasons why:
    1. Sushi(bite size protien carbs and omega 3's)
    2. Cereal(carbs and its just freakin yummy)
    3. Fruit(any kind is fine by me I love em all especially my tropicals, love that fiber and energy)
    4. Dark Chocolate(yes its a health food in moderation its AOX rich and lowers blood pressure)
    5. Rice Krispy treats(they are fat free and low cal and just so yummy you feel like a kid again)
    6. Peanut butter on wheat toast with some low cal jelly(perfect prerun treat like a danish I swear)
    7. whole wheat pasta with organic sauce and REAL parmesean cheese from raw milk(pre run food)
    8. cheese(in moderation as well but its so jam packed with protien and yumminess I must say it)
    9. pudding/jello/low cal ice cream(cause it almost feels as if you are being bad but your not)
    10. Legumes like beans and such(they feel very homestyle and are loaded with protien and fiber)

thats my list
  • kittybellenir
    kittybellenir Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried Popchips, you can have 19 chips at 120 cals!