Are too many eggs bad for you?

Options
I tend to eat alot of eggs - they're so versatile - scrambled, fried (bad), boiled, poached etc etc

I've heard they are bad for you and your heart - any truth in that?

Replies

• mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything is bad for you
  • deanotoot
    deanotoot Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes i'm a heart patient and followed up on diets,,etc. Eggs are full of cholesterol (the yolks) so i cut down to 1 or 2 eggs a month,use to eat up to a dozen a week myself.
  • mocchioni
    mocchioni Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I agree with myway, too much of anything is not good for you.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    No. Doctors etc used to think they were because they are quite high in cholesterol, however the cholesterol in eggs is the healthy kind which actually helps to lower the levels of bad cholesterol. They are a very good source of protein and fat soluble vitamins. Now doctors realise this and the advice about not eating eggs is out of date.

Also in the past in the UK people used to eat a lot of fried eggs, and fried with a lot of oil and eaten with bacon etc, and that probably also contributed to belief that eggs = bad. But eating them boiled, poached, or fried/scrambled in minimal oil they're good for you. I love boiled egg and typically eat 3-9 of them a day.
  • ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I eat alot of Eggs too... I watched a TV show not long ago where they did tests on people who ate lots of eggs and it showed that it made no difference to cholesterol levels.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7882850.stm - I found this article, but there are plenty more out there.

If I scramble eggs I do usually only eat one "whole" egg and make the rest up in whites :smile:
  • melainemelaine
    melainemelaine Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    http://www.bhf.org.uk/default.aspx?page=12920

nope, they apparently aren't according to the bhf, the way you prepare them is sometimes though
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    The myth persists that eggs are bad for you because it was once believed that cholesterol from one's diet raised cholesterol in the blood (serum colesterol). This has been proven wrong repeatedly http://www.ovosbrasil.com.br/download/ovos e colesterol desvandendando mitos.pdf

That being said, too much of anything is bad if you're eating it instead of a variety of other things. A varied diet gives you a variety of nutrients, particularly if you focus on nutrient dense foods. Eggs are an excellent source of nutrients and better to be eating too many of them, than too many bagels :-) It's up to you to look over your diet and see how eggs fit in there.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The debate over dietary fats & cholesterol has been going on for a long time and while it seems there is a link between the types of dietary fat you consume and LDL/HDL levels it appears that the link between dietary cholesterol and serum lipids is much more tenuous.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-full-story/index.html#cholesterol
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I eat quite a few eggs, but, it consists of one whole egg and 3 egg whites scrambled. To me, it taste just as good as 4 whole eggs. The egg whites are only 17 calories each.
  • HamsterNut
    HamsterNut Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    ummmm eggs!

I eat about 15 eggs a week now, they keep me full and make a great breakfast food for me :-) quick easy and healthy I eat the whole egg
  • A_Shannigans
    A_Shannigans Posts: 170 Member
    Options

This^^^ Having said that eggs are one my favorite go tos for a quick boost.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I eat two whole eggs every morning and I'm healthy. :) I don't do the egg white thing because they have nowhere near the same nutritional value, give me whole eggs anytime.

As others have said above, it has been proven wrong many times that eggs are bad for you unless you do have a problem and it's orders from a doctor to cut down on eggs.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I eat 2-4 a day. The myth of dietary fat & cholesterol effecting serum levels has been disproven already.

But, I wouldn't eat 12 a day though although some bodybuilders probably do.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

This^^^ Having said that eggs are one my favorite go tos for a quick boost.

I agree! And thanks to everyone for helping to clear up the myth! I personally like to boil a bunch of eggs at the beginning of the week and take one to work with me each day. It's a super easy way to get a quick protein snack during break.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I also think if you're gonna eat eggs, why bother with just the egg whites. You are missing out on so much protein. The yolk has all the most nutrients and isn't bad for you.

I eat the whole egg, and prefer mine scrambled. If I fry them I just use a small spray of olive oil. I have a bottle with a pump top. You fill it with olive oil, pump the top about 10 times to pressurize it and you've created your own non-stick spray in a refillable can.
    I cover the pan with a glass lid so I can view the progress, and the heat circulates on top of the eggs. When the yolks just start to cloud over they are done.

I've also done hard boiled eggs by placing them on top of my rice cooker. The boiling water underneath steams the eggs. No added minerals from the water and the yolks don't get that grayish color you sometimes see when boiling in water.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I read yesterday that you should not have more than 6 in a week.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Bump for my wife to read...LOL
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Lot's of good responses! Eggs are a wonderful food. The whole egg. I have chickens and get fresh eggs everyday. Love my eggs! I eat 2 or 3 almost everyday.
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian, but eat eggs. They are a good source of protein for me. I often have a small tin of low cal baked beans with an egg scrambled into it.

I could eat eggs every day, but choose not to. When I spoke to my dietician she said they wouldn't do any harm, even when I did have slightly high cholesterol (it's perfect since I lost weight though).

If I do have a fried egg - once in a blue moon - I don't add any oil, just use a mini non-stick frying pan. x
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I love eggs also. I used to eat at least one a day with breakfast or for a snack but then i started going to Egg beaters due to it being less caloric for the same amount of egg. That was the only reason i changed . I am thinking of going to back to the good ol hard boiled egg again a couple times a week because it just tastes so good and i found it more filling than the egg beaters.