Weight fluctuation health

Options
Hey so I have lost over 40lbs this summer and want to get down around 250 or maybe 220. I have pretty much been doing my own version of atkins. I eat under 20 carbs a day, most days under 10. When I get to my goal weight I really dont want to gain it all back. I have figured out a way to stay the same weight over a two week period. I go off the diet for a week, gain about 10-15 lbs, but get to eat what I want. Pizza, pasta, desert, get to drink beer. Its glorious. Then, after I gain the weight I go back on the diet for a week and lose the weight. I have done this a few times when I got tired of no carbs. My question is whether or not it is healthy to gain 15 lbs one week then lose it again the next and repeat? Im not worried about ideal healthy, I am just worried about whether or not its going to fry my liver or kidneys long term.
Thanks

Replies

• SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins years ago and had the same experience! I'd imagine going up and down 15 lbs can't be healthy, although a lot of that weight will be glycogen and fluid which is restored rapidly after breaking a very low carbohydrate diet. Also, I don't know about you, but I found the constant lose/gain cycle very disheartening and it demotivated me in the long run. Not to mention the mess Atkins made of my digestive system :(

Would it not be better following a diet which is high in protein but contains some more carbs? You will lose the 10-15 lbs more slowly but you will keep it off! I now try to keep my carbs around, or a bit less than 30% of my intake.
  • jacksquaty
    Options
    Yeah I mean that is really my goal in the long run I guess. I am just super worried about gaining it all back because that is what seems to happen to almost everyone I have read on the internet. I guess the reason I stay on it is I just havent been able to consistently lose weight like this before. I am almost down to what I was before I had to gain 25 lbs for a sporting event senior year of high school. The weight fluctuations dont really bother me and my GI has improved (no more hearthburn). So Ill stick with it, at least till 250, then maybe try the MFP calorie counting.