Cramps while running....HELP!!

Options
Hello runners !!
I have recently started running and really love it! I can run at about 4.5 for 45 minutes but about 15 minutes into my run i get cramps on my right side. Does anyone have any tricks so I don't cramp up??? Thanks!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you mean side stitches?

Here's an article at runnersworld.com that you should find helpful

http://beginners.runnersworld.com/2009/08/how-do-i-get-rid-of-side-stitches.html

The good news is that they seem to decrease in frequency and intensity as your body adapts to running, I don't think I've had one for 3 or 4 years.
  • Suni3276
    Suni3276 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    thanks, this may help me, I all just started running... slowly building up my pace
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    This pain will go away as you get more conditioned. Make sure you are well hydrated, and not going at a pace that is too fast. You should be able to carry on a conversation when you are running. Make sure you have good posture while running, chest up and open. Side stitches are awful, but they will go away the more you run. Good luck and have fun!
  • KatiaClouse
    KatiaClouse Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm so with you! I am not a runner, and that stitch has always been what stopped me. Kind of by accident, I found that tightening my abs helps fight off the cramp. Sometimes it goes away completely for a bit, sometimes it becomes just a little bit more bearable. Stick with it!
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    I find that breathing slower helps. I normally would breathe through my mouth (Allergies), but if I can breathe through my nose and slowly, everything stops hurting. It takes some practice, but that's what works for me. And deep breaths.
  • Browneyedgirl140
    Browneyedgirl140 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I noticed I cramp when my posture gets back. I refocus, straighten up and it typically goes away after a few mins.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Also, watch out for a sideways slope where you run. i used to get one-sided cramps. then i switched trail and it didn't happen anymore. now, if i go back to that first trail, i run in the middle unless i have to let someone pass...
  • rachelilb
    rachelilb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Yes i mean side stitches. Thanks for the advise! Hopefully it will go away soon!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Whenever I get cramps it usually has to do with me eating before my run. Dairy tends to upset stomachs, so avoid that. I also find heavy meals or meals with a lot of sugars or fats sometimes give me cramps. I usually try to eat a bowl of oatmeal about an hour before my runs, or if I must eat immediately before, I'll have a piece of toast with peanut butter and jam.

Other than that, check your breathing. When I get cramps I can usually get ride of them by ensuring I'm taking deep breaths in rhythm with my stride or breathing slowly helps.
  • fairc3jam
    fairc3jam Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hello runners !!
    I have recently started running and really love it! I can run at about 4.5 for 45 minutes but about 15 minutes into my run i get cramps on my right side. Does anyone have any tricks so I don't cramp up??? Thanks!

I had those but learned how to breathe and they won't away. Make sure you establish a full inhale and exhale rythym.
  • xxjacqueline
    xxjacqueline Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I had this problem when I first started running. They went away after I improved my form and ran more. I also stopped eating before a run, because it gives me really bad side cramps and it makes me really nauseated. Make sure you have proper running form, and be sure you focus on breathing right and all of those things.
  • rachelilb
    rachelilb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone !