How is that even possible?

Options
Long story short....I've worked out my entire life except for 3 years due to multiple surgeries and doctors orders. I ended up gaining 70 pounds. In the last 4 years I have lost 30 lbs on my own through working out and eating healthy. I just completed 6 weeks of the Butt Bible workout and I am much more toned and muscular but haven't lost any weight. I have lost inches in my arms, thighs and chest but I GAINED inches in my stomach area!!!!!

Seriously, how is that possible? My pants are way loose in the thigh area but now super tight around my waist.

What am i doing wrong? Why am I working hard and going backwards?

My goal is to drop a pant size in 6 weeks. But since I am adding inches all over I am ready to throw in the towel.

I am not focusing on weight loss because I think inches lost are more important than what the scales say.

Tomorrow I start my new routines. Weekends will consist of hour long hoop dancing. Mon, Wed, Fri I will do Gunnar Petersons Core Secrets and Tues, Thursday I will do Leslie Sansone's walk away the pounds 5 miles in an hour workout.

I am dealing with an ankle injury so I can only push myself so far.

Thanks for the advice and tips.

EDIT: I eat 1200-1400 calories net and burn 400-600 through working out.

Replies

• JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    If you previously had a very weak core, it's not unheard of to gain a little bit when you start working out, or when you start doing a new workout in general-it could be a little muscle gain combined with water retention for muscle support/repair. If you are losing inches every where else, I wouldn't worry about it, your body's just doing a rebalancing act! while I trust measurements more than the scale, I also noticed some changes like that with my own progress, after a few days of rest or less intensity my muscles usually let go of some of that extra water(and I usually watch my sodium and drink lots of water(all the time on the water) a day or two before measurements and measure first thing in the morning)
  • ZoeyRobinson
    Options
    I drink a ton of water and I eat very little sodium.

I tried on pants that were loose before my workout routine and now that my workout routine is over they are too tight. It is so frustrating.

Everyone else is losing pounds a week and I havent lost a single pound in over a year. It is truly making me depressed.
  • momof3kiddos34
    Options
    How is your diet? I'm finding that my eating can really add bloat. Not even sodium, just a lot of pre-packaged eating. I'm hearing more and more about clean eating being the biggest defense against big belly. Also, any alcohol? Last year, I lost 20 lbs and then gained it all back by simply adding wine back into my diet. RATS! And I found that it all ended up in my belly.

Also, I found that cucumber water really helps with bloat. You could try drinking that for a few days and see if it does anything. If it does, then you know it's water retention.

Just some thoughts... I'm sorry you are struggling. I have been there and know how frustrating it is to work my rear end off and have my rear end actually get bigger. I've finally realized that you can't out train a bad diet. Sigh...
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'd guess you've gained some muscle in your core, but you'll have to eat less to lose the fat covering the muscle. I had to realize that at one time, too.
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Since we can't see your diary and have no idea what you are eating, it's kind of hard to say. Have you had blood work to make sure your thyroid is functioning properly? I would make sure my diet consisted of lean protein, veggies, no more that 2 fruits per day, and tons of water. Make sure you are eating 1200 -1500 calories per day as well. If you are working out that much and not eating you calories you might be in starvation mode.

Do not get discouraged if you are losing inches that is AWESOME. The scale is not the only measuring stick to success here. If you rely so heavily on the scale when you get to maintenance mode it is very hard to stay motivated because you see no real movement. So hang in there and keep on keeping on! You can do this, don't give up.

Seriously if you are eating, chicken, fish eggs, veggies, beans, nuts and staying away from simple carbs and drinking your water maybe you need to have the thyroid checked out.

Best of luck!