Heart Rate Monitor: do you use one?

Options
Hiya

I've just bought the Polar FT4 heart rate monitor so I can train more accurately and see more specifically how many calories I am burning during a full workout, rather than just what the treadmill tells me.

Do you use a heart rate monitor, have you found they improved your workout? I havent used the watch yet, but if you have this model too I would appreciate any reviews/feedback you have on it? xx

Replies

• CHN_
    CHN_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I use mine every time I exercise, and have since I got it two years ago (have the FT40). The one time I forgot it at home it totally messed with my head during spin class! I use it to see where I am % wise, and it helps me be efficient and push harder. Also, it's always a kick to see how much you burn!
  • jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm about to borrow my brothers one for a few weeks to get a feel for what I'm doing - I get a feeling I'm about to get competative with myself! haha. I'd like to do each of the fitness classes at my gym and work out which ones are doing the most for me!
  • littlemissmo83
    littlemissmo83 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i didnt think of that jellybean, using it to see which classes do the most for me. thats a great idea. also i'm so competitive it would be very monica like to be in competition with myself, awesome! :)

The only annoying thing is it was bought for me as a present and delivered to work yesterday as a surprise, so i dont have it, also i am working from home on monday so am truly tempted to go into work today to get it!
  • jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'd be tempted too, get down there :o) It's funny, I hate competing against others, but I love trying to beat myself (just knocked 2 mins off my time for running a mile, in your face old me! haha). Thanks for the add, let me know how you get on with yours, I'll let you know which classes are kicking my *kitten*! hehe x
  • queenie09
    Options
    I have one and wear it everything I exercise. I love it.... It is much more accurate than the machines. It does make you work harder especially when you have used it for a while and get an idea of how much you burn each exercise. Half way through your workout if you aren't burning as much as before you push yourself more.

I do have a complaint too. I hate it when the watch doesn't read the belt monitor.. it is very frustrating when it stops working during a workout. I was using a polar FT7 for almost two years, then I brought a Suunto M4..still getting the same.issues. I have stopped wearing the watch on my arm and now attach it to my bra strap or singlet top. Since doing this I haven't had the signal drop out. I read on the forums for Suunto the watch needs a direct line of sight to the belt.

Even with this problem I still love using it. :)

Cheers.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I have a FT4 & just got a FT60. MY FT4 was showing me as a heart rate of 224 or 00.... and it would take 30 mins of stress to get it working. So I splurged & got the FT60 a few days ago... I love it. I never workout with one now. I don't trust this site to tell me how well I've done.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I use mine (polar m21 - ancient) every time I go for a run. I find it a good measure for how I am doing and my daily shape. I admit I have gotten better at judging my effort by my breathing (perceived exertion), but I still check every few minutes to make sure I am within my parameters. When it's hot my HR goes way higher than usual, so that's when I monitor it more closely.

If you're really into it, or want more info on heart rate and exercising, check out a book called 'total heart rate training' it offers a system to quantify your exercise using your heart rate and therefore maximize your training efforts. I am not actually training for any specific goal, but reading that book gave me a couple of 'aha-moments' :smile:
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I have one and wear it everything I exercise. I love it.... It is much more accurate than the machines. It does make you work harder especially when you have used it for a while and get an idea of how much you burn each exercise. Half way through your workout if you aren't burning as much as before you push yourself more.

I do have a complaint too. I hate it when the watch doesn't read the belt monitor.. it is very frustrating when it stops working during a workout. I was using a polar FT7 for almost two years, then I brought a Suunto M4..still getting the same.issues. I have stopped wearing the watch on my arm and now attach it to my bra strap or singlet top. Since doing this I haven't had the signal drop out. I read on the forums for Suunto the watch needs a direct line of sight to the belt.

Even with this problem I still love using it. :)

Cheers.

Do you wash your strap?
  • knwitall
    knwitall Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I just bought the motoactv strap. Still trying to figure out how to sync it with the app on my phone. :/
  • lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I have a FT4 & just got a FT60. MY FT4 was showing me as a heart rate of 224 or 00.... and it would take 30 mins of stress to get it working. So I splurged & got the FT60 a few days ago... I love it. I never workout with one now. I don't trust this site to tell me how well I've done.

My FT4 was doing the same thing until I changed the battery. Now it is working perfectly again.

I agree with what others have said. I've been using my FT4 for over a year now, and I love it. It definitely makes me work out harder because I can see my heart rate and estimated calorie burn. So many times I've told myself "Ten more minutes and you'll hit XX calorie burn!"
  • SJScobie
    SJScobie Posts: 63
    Options
    Hiya

I bought one for when im doing a full workout...so much better than relying on the machines at the gym and also if ure doing a dvd workout in the house or even doing housework!

I have just a basic one with a strap that goes under my chest and a watch, best thing I ever got!

Think it's a great wee tool to use when you want accurate calories!

xx
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I love my FT7. If you are having problems with the 250/00 issue, you need to wash the strap more or change the battery. I wash mine every third workout (as opposed to the suggested every fifth time/once a week).
  • littlemissmo83
    littlemissmo83 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    ahhhh, you're all getting me so excited about picking up my watch! I have to say the one thing I am most looking forward to is more accurately recording the calorie burn at home workouts, and also during gym classes.

So glad to hear you rate the polar watches, its such an investment of money that with so much choice you never quite know if you bought the right one! x
  • theweightisover
    theweightisover Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT7. I've just used it for the second time and I am very discouraged. :sad: I am hoping it is just operator error and that I am missing some very important step but I cannot believe that I am only burning 70 calories riding my stationary bike for 30 minutes when multiple other sites (not just MFP) are telling me I am burning over 200+ for my age, height, gender and weight. I really thought this would be a great tool to push me harder. Well, at this rate, it has only depressed and discouraged me. :cry: Here I thought I was doing so good in burning calories and this thing says otherwise. Go figure.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT7. I've just used it for the second time and I am very discouraged. :sad: I am hoping it is just operator error and that I am missing some very important step but I cannot believe that I am only burning 70 calories riding my stationary bike for 30 minutes when multiple other sites (not just MFP) are telling me I am burning over 200+ for my age, height, gender and weight. I really thought this would be a great tool to push me harder. Well, at this rate, it has only depressed and discouraged me. :cry: Here I thought I was doing so good in burning calories and this thing says otherwise. Go figure.

I looked at some of your recent entries and they seem very high- like 675 calories for light effort bike 45 mins. Almost 400 for 30 minutes.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    not necessary.
  • theweightisover
    theweightisover Posts: 79 Member
    Options

I looked at some of your recent entries and they seem very high- like 675 calories for light effort bike 45 mins. Almost 400 for 30 minutes.

That is a 30 min light effort = 346 calories and 15 min vigorous effort = 330 for a 45 total. Again, looking at not just MFP calculations but other sites have comparable figures.
  • CLCinNOLA
    CLCinNOLA Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I love my FT7 and wear it for every workout. It is very motivational for me. I don't think it is a necessity but it makes working out a lot more interesting and fun for me.

As far as calories go, it gives me about 50%-55% of the values given here on MFP and I think the HRM calories are more realistic for me. YMMV
  • queenie09
    Options
    Yes I do wash the strap, after every second exercise session.
    Since wearing the watch on bra strap. I haven't had a problem. :)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I have an ft4 as well and I just used it last week for my Zumba class. I got the ft4 because I didn't want all the bells and whistles - just the heart rate and calorie count and it works great. The only thing that's a bit irritating is you have to wet the two fabric swatches on the chest band before putting it on and I always put the monitor on the band upside down so I have to check it before I go. But it measured my burn really well and I can tell how much harder I have to work to get more of a work out.