Greetings from Rotterdam, Holland,read my crazy decision

Options
Hi there, Kai here 32yo from Rotterdam the Netherlands. Starting at 5"7 and 220lbs.

I was a heavy smoker of tobacco and weed, heavy drinker(whiskey) and a junkfood junk. August 6th i decided to change everything drasticly cause if you knew how bad my stamina is/was lol.

So since monday the 6th i started with hip hop abs and sometimes i switch it with tapout xt in the mornings and insanity in the evenings.

Boy, did my body get pounded, monday i only did the fitness test of insanity and i thought my heart would burst out of my chest followed by my lungs. I had to stop many times during the test already cause i would be out of air and my heartrate would rocket sky high.

I have been clean eating since the 6th, i only eat veggies, fruits, brown rice and pasta, chicken and turkey breasts and i only drink water and green tea.

This is the 6th day, i really craved for a sigaret and some junkfood but haven't cheated, the workouts are hell for me cause of my stamina and the fat that is currently in the way.
I finish every workout but i have to take many breaks cause of the air and heartrate but then again, it simulates interval which is also good :)

Everytime i am doing a workout i am thinking, what the hell am i doing. the first 4 days i could barely walk normal of aching muscles and the last 2 days its my shoulders and arms.

I went many times to a gym in the past, all enthusiastic, would be really active 2 weeks then i wouldt see results and quitted again, now i don't have money for gyms or equipment so doing the workout dvd's and am planning to stick with it :)

Thanks for reading!
Best regards
Kai

Replies

• urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hi! And welcome!

I think you're doing really well, Insanity is hard and you're making loads of good changes. Dig deep and I'm sure you'll be reaping the benefits soon.
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Thanks and i try to give it my all but my body won't let me alot of times, i've smoked for 16 years :noway: i get out of air real fast at the moment, as soon when i get a little bit of air back and my heartrate drops a bit i drop back in :)
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've got one week left of insanity and I still have to stop! Even Shaun T takes breaks. As long as you keep pushing you'll get better.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Thats a whole lot of change at one time, but if you are determined, you can do it.
    Good luck to you!
  • Its_Nat
    Its_Nat Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Wow - good for you!! Be proud of your efforts, and each day it's bound to get easier.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    holy wow! you're making a lot of changes at once! good for you :) definitely do NOT be afraid to take breaks, I've done p90x and am doing body beast now, and everyone in all the DVDs NEEDS breaks! insanity is the same way! you can do it :)
  • StrengthIDidntKnow
    StrengthIDidntKnow Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Welcome and best of luck to you!!!

I just took my final fit test of my 2nd round of Insanity and still need breaks, it is a tough workout!
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    You are doing fab so far. Well done for getting started! Don't be afraid to approach it in a more staggered way.. sometimes giving up everything at once is just too hard to sustain. If you are feeling better for it it's totally worth it though. Feel free to add me if you want some more encouragement :D
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Thats quite a drastic lifestyle change, your body is bound to feel it!! But you have made great decisions to improve your health and your life and I'm sure the results will be worth it. Good luck :smile:
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the decision to change your lifestyle. I smoked cigarettes for 10 years 2 pack per day and quit at 27, the hardest thing I've ever done. I am so very proud of myself for that decision, and I made it solely based on my beautiful little boys who I was afraid I would not live to see graduate high school. I'm now 53 and happy to say 26 years later my babies are all grown and I'm still here and now enjoying my sweet grand babies. So hang tough it will get easier I promise.

As for Insanity my kids do that! WOW that is insane as is P90X. I'd say give yourself all the breaks you need to get through it, and pace yourself you don't need an injury to sideline your physical activity. Walking helped me immensely when I quit smoking.

One day at a time is sometimes all we can think about on this journey! Best Wishes for continued success!
  • RotterdamNL
    Options
    Wow :smile: so many great reactions in such short amount of time.

I know it is a drastic change but i really needed that and then i have to do it all the way. SO far didn't cheat in food, alcohol or smoking but i got moments it feels really tough.

Especialy when i go to the mall and it looks like everyone is smoking and eating kfc, mcdonalds etc but other than that i am doing fine i guess.

I only feel stupid sometimes when i do certain exercises that i c dont have the feeling for yet, jumping to the wrong side, my arms doing things in the air i don't see on the dvd haha:laugh:
  • Happyirisheyes
    Happyirisheyes Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Wow! Well done you, it is hard but it will be worth it :smile:
  • yerfgirl
    yerfgirl Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You're doing great. Just remember that today you are a little bit stronger, a little bit fitter than yesterday.
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    well done Kai, you'll get there over time, just keep going and when you want to cheat remind yourself that you are in this for the long term.

it's great weather here too, don't be afraid to get out for a long bike ride instead of killing yourself with insanity - LOL!!

Renee (I'm in Arnhem, by the way)
  • RotterdamNL
    Options
    @yerfgirl, It doesn't feel like that atm lol, the first 3 days besides the workouts i could barely walk normal, and after the workout i don't feel well at all for the first 30 min, i feel like i took some speed or something but i trust it gets better in time but for now it feels horrible ><

@Renee, ik haat fietsen :P but i not only do insanity hehe i also do hip hop abs and tapout xt :D

@the rest, thanks for all the great words!
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    Hiya and welcome to MFP!!! I lived in Purmerend from 2001 to 2005 loved it.....Hallo van Texas *waves* keep focused on your goal and you will do well!!!
  • RotterdamNL
    Options
    Lol i was homeless in Texas for an year, in Austin to be exact but still love the place.
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    @yerfgirl, It doesn't feel like that atm lol, the first 3 days besides the workouts i could barely walk normal, and after the workout i don't feel well at all for the first 30 min, i feel like i took some speed or something but i trust it gets better in time but for now it feels horrible ><

@Renee, ik haat fietsen :P but i not only do insanity hehe i also do hip hop abs and tapout xt :D

@the rest, thanks for all the great words!

oh! echt waar!!? dan,eh... doe maar niet!! good you have a variety of things to do then!
  • RotterdamNL
    Options
    Well, in the morning i do hip hop abs which makes me sweat but i can keep up, sometimes i do a tapout xt workout after it and at night i do insanity.
    Been eating and drinking clean and although tomorrow is my rest day and i can use that day to eat some unhealthy stuff i will force myself no to do so.

Got my mind set, all i need to do is persevere which is the hardest
  • RotterdamNL
    Options
    Ow yeah, finished the first week or more, survived the first week lol.:happy: