Medication and Weight Gain :(

Options
Hi, I'm on medication that has made me gain weight through increasing my appetite. I have so far gained 7kg that I need to lose, as my clothes don't fit.

I gained weight on weightwatchers, I gained even more on a low GI diet. Is anyone else going through this? Any suggestions welcome!

Replies

• AmandaJade9
    AmandaJade9 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi I had the same problem I had massive weight gain on anti depressants I put on 30 Kilos in 4 months. Im finding that if i stick to my calorie goal and work out and just drink lots of water you will not only lose you medication weight gain but any excess that you want to lose aswell.
    Good luck with it all we are all here for support :)
  • sisterphonetica
    sisterphonetica Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The first time I was on this drug I put on three stone (36lb) in three months. Then I changed drugs. But this time I'm on the drug for a different reason and I don't want to come off it as I feel so much better (I'm using it for migraine prophylaxis). I can't really do what other people call exercise as I have rheumatoid arthritis so I can't rely on activity to help me lose weight.

I suppose I just have to keep trying to see what works, but the hunger is so immense it's very difficult not to give in.
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I know the feeling I took some medication for high blood pressure and I went to the dr and said I was worried as I had put on so much weight and she said I was probably snacking between meals without realising, I wasn't because I work all day so I can only eat what I take to work, I also wan't drinking alcohol either.
    After 3 years I had my medication changed but had put on 2 stone, I lost 1 and half using the dukan diet, but have gained half a stone since then.
    I joined this program out of desperation, add me as a friend if you'd like and maybe we can compare notes!
    All the best....
  • sisterphonetica
    Options
    Thanks, suleng. I don't want to be counting counting, log gin, logging, but I will just keep expanding if I don't do something about it now. I've been 2 stone heavier than I am now, so I'm not at my heaviest, but I don't want to get any bigger.

I'm also a vegan, and don't drink, so a lot of the things that people do to lose weight don't apply! I don't even eat chips!
  • BeanyFrog13
    BeanyFrog13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be counting counting, log gin, logging, but I will just keep expanding if I don't do something about it now.

When I gained weight through a combination of medication and just plain "what's the point?" I really did think that logging was going to be a lot harder than it is.

This site, has quite literally, changed my life. I'm still on the same medication and I still have days where I think it's too much hassle and I don't bother to log, but really, this site makes it so easy to do and it takes hardly any time. It's really the only secret.

I have lost weight, through logging and watching what I eat, even though I'm on the same medication and it's sometimes slow going.

If you're exercising regularly (something I need to be a *lot* stricter on myself about :D) and you're logging your food, you *will* start to notice a difference. It may not be in your weight all the time, mine wasn't for a bit, and isn't at the moment as I've hit a plateau, but you *will* feel better about everything and in yourself!

Also, maybe speak to your doctor about seeing if there's something they can advise about your medication? It could be there's something else without the major weight gain?

Best of luck! Feel free to add me if you want?
  • Slim7Dee
    Slim7Dee Posts: 17
    Options
    This is a difficult one. I would just make sure that all the foods you crave are healthy ones. We can so easily blame all the rubbish food for our increase in weight, when there is always an alternative. If you are eating healthily and still putting on weight I would have a word with your GP for advice. Good luck.
  • sisterphonetica
    Options
    I've tried various different medications to reduce my migraines on the advice of my neurologist, this is at least the fifth one I've tried and it is the only one that's worked at all. It's been a long hard journey trying to become migraine free. i am delighted at the lack of migraines, naturally, but it's unfortunate that the only medication that works for me is one that induces weight gain.

Anyway, tonight I'm going to try and dance if my old bones let me, it's a friend's 40th birthday party.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Dont feel bad about yourself for taking medications for your health/condition.. See so many people down about it.. Try to have a healthy, active lifestyle and if this doesnt change try talking to your doctor about your weight loss and how you can go about it! Trust me, I'm a nurse :)
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I know you have problems with excersise, but are you able to swin, as my mother in law has severe arthritis and she went every week until her recent bout in hospital.
  • sisterphonetica
    Options
    Dont feel bad about yourself for taking medications for your health/condition.. See so many people down about it.. Try to have a healthy, active lifestyle and if this doesnt change try talking to your doctor about your weight loss and how you can go about it! Trust me, I'm a nurse :)

Oh, I know! I tried a drug called topiramate for migraine prevention. A desirable side effect is weight loss, but I've never felt so ill for years on it! At least I feel well on the mirtazipine. Maybe logging what I eat will be enough to get me on track. Thanks for replies, everyone.
  • swonn
    swonn Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I am on medication for seizures and migraines and gained several pounds. i would rather be on the medication than not. While I'm not migraine free it has cut down on them and I have had only two seizures in the past year. I agree with suleng regarding swimming. It is a wonderful way to get moving without the stress on your body that other exercises create. Keep logging everything you eat. Once you make the commitment to do it it becomes a habit. Do not get discouraged! Message me if you have any other questions. :smile:
  • sisterphonetica
    Options
    Until I was on this drug, swimming gave me a migraine. I prefer walking (I walk to work) and I'm trying to get a bike. if I have time, I'm going to a local bike shop tomorrow for a look.