Anxiety!!

Options
My anxiety is making me crazy!!

I always have to constantly be doing something i.e biting my cheeks, lips, nails, playing with my hair, playing with my eyebrows, shaking my legs, playing with my earrings, or just anything! I'm constantly fidgeting and can't stop! I'm getting bad headaches and my jaw and ears hurt really bad all the time now from the cheek biting.

And now I've started looking at the speedometer when I'm driving around every 10 seconds because I'm paranoid that I'm going too fast or too slow!

I do get panic attacks sometimes but not as much as I used to. I don't have insurance so I can't go to the doctor for any meds.... Do any of you have these problems or suggestions to help this? I'm going nuts! :noway:

Replies

• RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Been there. I do take meds that help immensely with the anxiety. Have you tried meditation and breathing exercises? They do wonders for me. Takes some time and practice but once you start doing it, it's amazing how much you can feel.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Cognitive therapy can help
    That's when you take time to work through what makes you have an attack and how you react.
    It's best done with a professional but you can do some on your own.

http://youtu.be/gdFovvVJpr8
  • LinsenNRoses
    LinsenNRoses Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Been there. I do take meds that help immensely with the anxiety. Have you tried meditation and breathing exercises? They do wonders for me. Takes some time and practice but once you start doing it, it's amazing how much you can feel.

I wish I could be on meds again! I used to take Lexapro and it helped me a lot!! I've never really tried breathing exercises but do meditation when I'm really, really stressed. I will look up some breathing exercises now, thanks!
  • LinsenNRoses
    Options
    That's when you take time to work through what makes you have an attack and how you react.

Thanks! I will definitely check that out!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I find regular exercise really helps. I also try to avoid caffeine!
  • najv
    najv Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I work in the medical field. I see patients who do not have insurance.
    Are you eligible for medical assistance?
    Many times, if you present to a clinic stating
    that you don't have insurance, they have resources
    to assist with payment and ways to ensure you
    get the care you need presently and going forward.

Anxiety can be difficult to manage alone.
    You have many great suggestions noted here!!
    Best of luck to you.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

Thanks! I will definitely check that out!

Cognitive therapy does help. In all honesty it kept me from eating a bullet when I was dealing with the worst of the anxiety and panic.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety issues also. I got a mouthgaurd made from my dentist for jaw pain, it really helped. I had to wear it alot at night when I first got it, now I only use it periodically. You could get a generic mouthgaurd (for teeth grinding) from a drugstore/pharmacy type place. Might help.

Also I find exercise and doing things you enjoy helps take mind off of things.

I want to cut out caffeine but its soo difficult, for someone that is ALWAYS tired. But I do find it makes me more tense.
  • LinsenNRoses
    Options
    I work in the medical field. I see patients who do not have insurance.
    Are you eligible for medical assistance?
    Many times, if you present to a clinic stating
    that you don't have insurance, they have resources
    to assist with payment and ways to ensure you
    get the care you need presently and going forward.

Anxiety can be difficult to manage alone.
    You have many great suggestions noted here!!
    Best of luck to you.

I have heard of that but have no idea how to go about doing that or who to call, I will need to look into that for sure!
  • LinsenNRoses
    Options
    I have anxiety issues also. I got a mouthgaurd made from my dentist for jaw pain, it really helped. I had to wear it alot at night when I first got it, now I only use it periodically. You could get a generic mouthgaurd (for teeth grinding) from a drugstore/pharmacy type place. Might help.

Also I find exercise and doing things you enjoy helps take mind off of things.

I want to cut out caffeine but its soo difficult, for someone that is ALWAYS tired. But I do find it makes me more tense.

That is what I was going to do when I get off work, is go get a cheap one from Walgreens! Exercise has helped me massively my anxiety was 100 times worse before I started taking care of myself again. I do need caffeine a few times a week because I work overnights and don't get much sleep most of the time!! Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone!! :smile:
  • Smak38
    Smak38 Posts: 8
    Options
    Deep breathing while I pray helps my anxiety.
    I have a wii fit that has yoga that helps me remember how to breathe (basically gives me something to concentrate on).
    Cutting out caffeine is good.
    I understand the no insurance thing, but there is assistance available.
    What about herbal remedies, maybe check with your local health food store. I have found some great things there. I just googled 'herbal remedies for anxiety' and there are some trust worthy sites with some great info... check it out.
  • ksaltsman04
    ksaltsman04 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Do some research on a supplement called inositol. It is part of the B vitamin family and is supposed to be good for anxiety disorders. It is pretty inexpensive. The powder form gets into your system faster. Something else you might look at is 5-htp. Good luck, I know what it's like.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I have a family member who took niacin (vitamin B3) for anxiety with great success. And as a bonus, it's a very inexpensive supplement.