Biking question..

Options
Low gear and pedal fast or high gear and pedal hard?? Hard as in pushing harder with your foot, not speed.

Would low gear do more cardio and high gear build more muscle?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• xoMeaghan
    xoMeaghan Posts: 175
    Options
    Alternate =)

I go to spinning classes and she has us warm-up low gear but pedaling fast.
    Then put the gear higher and keep the speed
    Then higher, standing up with your weight put on your butt by leaning back over the seat and your chest up (so you're not hurting your knees or putting full weight on your hands - also with your chest up you can still breathe properly)

Then you just alternate. Always make sure you feel it most in your butt and your thighs!
  • SnowWhite824
    Options
    I thought the title was Bikini question. Then I started reading the actual post, and got very, very confused!!!! LOL
  • royyount
    Options
    You want to keep your cadence (pedal rotations) to around 90-100 rpm. This is the most efficient when biking. Gear mashing (low cadence or big gear/slow speed) waists energy and could lead to injury. You might find that you bounce in the saddle a bit while trying to pedal at 90+ rpm, but work on it. Focus on pedaling in circles and keeping smooth throughout and not bouncing. Also keep your knees in. You want to think about them just brushing the top tube ( tube from the seat to your handlebars) with each pedal stroke. This too will prevent injury to the knees. Good luck and happy riding.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • 1MandM1
    1MandM1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I thought the title was Bikini question. Then I started reading the actual post, and got very, very confused!!!! LOL

I did this too lol
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    How about BIKING in a BIKINI?
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'm lmao because I did just that last night. Granted, I live out in the middle of nowhere and was on a country road with no one around. lol
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You want to keep your cadence (pedal rotations) to around 90-100 rpm. This is the most efficient when biking. Gear mashing (low cadence or big gear/slow speed) waists energy and could lead to injury. You might find that you bounce in the saddle a bit while trying to pedal at 90+ rpm, but work on it. Focus on pedaling in circles and keeping smooth throughout and not bouncing. Also keep your knees in. You want to think about them just brushing the top tube ( tube from the seat to your handlebars) with each pedal stroke. This too will prevent injury to the knees. Good luck and happy riding.

^^This exactly.