I gained!!!!....some advice? :((

Options
So two weeks ago when I weighed myself I was 141 pounds. Last weekend when I weighed myself I was about 138 lbs.
All of last week, besides one day, I exercised. I did 30 - 45 minutes of cardio, and I did two full-body strength training work outs.....

I roughly ate between 1200 - 1400 calories. MFP says I should eat about 1240 without exercise, and usually after I add exercise it gets to about 1500 - 1700, depending on how many calories I burn.

This weekend I weighed myself and I was 139 - 140....I know it's not much, but it really killed my enthusiasm. Uhm, I know it isn't muscle. I can't gain two pounds of muscle within just two workouts. Perhaps part of my three pounds was water weight last week? Well I'm not having any "free" days where I'll eat whatever I want. I'm gonna take today off from exercise, and then exercise every day for tomorrow til next Saturday.

Uhm, MFP says I should burn about 240 calories per day, and only 1300 or something per week to lose 1.5 pounds a week. I've been burning about 400 a day and over 2000 per week.

Should I eat my exercise calories back? Should I burn less calories when I exercise? Anyone have any advice for me. I feel really bummed out right now. I've been trying so hard for a YEAR and I've only lost about....20 pounds.
By the way, I'm 5'3" and currently 138 - 140...aiming for 115 - 120, and to lose some fat..

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Open ur diary
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. The scale fluctuates. Water, etc. Think long term. You'll see the scale go down consistently.
  • Debutante55
    Debutante55 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Sabine is right... everyone's weight fluctuates to a certain extent, so don't let it get you down. When it happens to me I just make sure to consume at the "low end" of my calorie allowance for four or five days in a row, and NOT eat back my exercise calories during those days.

Even if you have the occasional over-calorie day, if you consistently eat right and exercise (as you are doing) you will see positive results long-term. I am TERRIBLE when it comes to exercising consistently and even despite this, I've been getting good results just with monitoring and altering caloric intake.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    This may be an obvious question but are you on your period or about to start your period?

you could try eating back some of your exercise calories. I eat back about half of mine and lose consistently each week.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    However, two weightlifting sessions is enough for your muscles to retain water as they try to recoop. When I started lifting, I put on a bout 3 pounds in the first 2 weeks. Have lost 2 pounds since (about 6 weeks.). Also, if you are eating alot of processed carbs, you will retain more water than if you are eating clean.
  • brooshie
    brooshie Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I've gained weight the last 2 weeks and I have no idea how, either. I've eaten between 1500-1800 calories a day along with 500-750 calories burned from the gym and i've gained 3 lbs in the past 2 weeks. i have NO idea
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You don't have that much weight to lose, so you can't make te deficit too large. Buy not eating many of your exercise cals this is what ur doing which make your body not want to shed the fat.

you might also want to look at what you eat, try and get ur 5 portions of fruit & veg a day
  • forgage
    forgage Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    your body is going into starvation mode! Holding onto every little bit of water and nutrients it can!! Eat more 2 weigh less check out the group!! People are having longterm success , rather than the yo-yo dieting and starving your body!
  • nikcasso
    nikcasso Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Been here since May and have only lost almost 14 pounds. Search "in place of a road map". With out looking at your diary can't comment too much but sounds like you are eating too little...which was my problem at the beginning. I started working out 3 times a week eating 1400 cals and not eating back much of those calories. And I gained! Now I eat 1535 and eat back some of my work out calories. Work out 5-6 times a week. 1-2 pounds a week is nice to believe can happen but I see more people loosing .5/week, myself now included.

Having friends helps too :)