Help me save me from myself!

Options
So this happens every time I try to get serious about losing weight and getting healthy. When I'm not actively trying to lose weight I don't eat very well overall but I only eat my three daily meals and usually make at least one or two a Slimfast shake. I rarely snack and hardly ever late at night. But then the minute I start to seriously consider dieting and slimming down, even before really changing my eating habits, all I can think about is food. I want to snack and binge all day long. I crave things that I don't even typically eat and at times that I don't usually eat. It literally consumes my thoughts and it's one of the big reasons I haven't stuck to a diet before. Then once I decide not to bother anymore it goes away and I just go back to the way I was eating before.
So why does this happen to me every time and how can I get over the hump? I know that this is largely a mind over matter issue but I have never been very good at self control and strong will power so I tend to give in to my cravings and give up on weight loss goals. I really want this to stick this time because I cannot stand being in this body. This isn't me.
Please help!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ditch the shakes and eat proper food!

It's mind over matter, you control what goes into your mouth, no one else!
  • melusinagr
    melusinagr Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    TavistockToad is right - mind over matter! Which isn't easy, I know - sometimes I think controlling the mind is harder than watching what you eat.

You have to commit to the changes - mind and body, and accept that as part of your daily life. It will not start out easily, but if you persist, you *can* break through.
  • cconeill
    cconeill Posts: 54 Member
    Options

this^^ I love this I say it all the time mind over matter! there is no pill or shake that is going to assist you in controlling what you eat the only way to change something is to use the power of your mind ;)
  • WTBSE
    WTBSE Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have always been very similar.

I think my downfall is that as soon as i have started going on a 'diet' i cut out chocolate/crisps/pizza/wine and all those treats.

What i am doing this time is different. First of all, i see this as a lifestyle change, which means its life long. Can i give up pizza/chocolate/wine forever? NO WAY! So i make sure that i incorporate it into my eating habits.

Whenever i plan to eat/not eat something,or change my habits in any way, i think to myself "can i really do this for the rest of my life", and if not, i dont do it. Thge reasoning behind this, is that if i lose the weight but dont keep the same habits that i use to lose the weight, i'll just put on weight again and be in the same situation in a few years!

So, my advice, dont deprive yourself of ANYTHING!
  • Penelope2Plyr
    Penelope2Plyr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You say you REALLY WANT TO make it stick this time. If that is a true statement, you can do it just like the rest of us. It will not be necissarily easy, but doable. Look at all the successes. You are the one who controls what you chose to eat, or not eat. Your dedication to becoming a healthy weight = the amount of effort and determination you use to achieve it. GL
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I could have written that post myself. I recently started seeing a therapist for other reasons, but I have found out the reasons I overeat and obsess about food. I overeat due to stress, anxiety, and depression. Talking about my issues has led to a huge epiphany, and I am learning to stop the obsessing and control my anxiety. When I start craving food or reaching for food out of boredom or depression, I ask myself if I am really hungry or if there is another reason I want to eat. I find if I journal for 20 minutes, I am usually able to push past those negative feelings and they go away.

Since starting therapy, I have gone from 213 pounds to 188 pounds. I am continuing my weight loss journey wiser than I was when I began. Perhaps you should go to the doc and find out if there is a biological reason you are having trouble. Perhaps you could talk to a therapsit yourself. I don't know if those things would help you personally, but I know they helped me.
  • ShirleyFed5
    ShirleyFed5 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Try not calling it a diet. Tell yourself that you "get" to eat healthy and you "get" to exercise. If we make it positive, our bodies and minds will crave it rather than fight deprivation.
  • Penelope2Plyr
    Penelope2Plyr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Whenever i plan to eat/not eat something,or change my habits in any way, i think to myself "can i really do this for the rest of my life", and if not, i dont do it. Thge reasoning behind this, is that if i lose the weight but dont keep the same habits that i use to lose the weight, i'll just put on weight again and be in the same situation in a few years!

So, my advice, dont deprive yourself of ANYTHING!

Totally agree with this poster, and just because you eat bite or two or something, does NOT mean you have to eat the whole amount or serving. Be sensible and mindful. And write it down. Keeping track of every bite, lick and taste has made all the difference for me. Again, I say good luck.
  • MJEekhoff
    Options
    I'm the same way, MrsW214. It's because you're focusing on what you cannot or should not be eating/drinking while trying to lose pounds and inches seriously. To make it a little easier, though, I've just changed the way I think about it or the way I look at it. For example - Instead of saying to myself "Damn, I wish I could eat that oversized Hershey chocolate bar I saw at the check out." I ask myself what's in that chocolate bar that I'm truly craving? Is it my body's way of telling me I need more magnesium? Or do I just really crave something super sweet?

So what do I do then? I have found that it doesn't matter how I answer my questions, but how I solve them ^_~. What could I eat or snack on instead of the chocolate bar? Grapes! First, I LOVE grapes. They're nice and sweet, juicy, 100% healthy, mostly water and if you get them chilled, the cold will shrink your stomach and make you feel full faster as you pop each juicy grape into your mouth! Your cravings will dissipate, you'll be sated, and you did it wisely :)

If you don't like grapes, grab a fruit that you do like.
  • LennyInFlorida
    Options
    Here is another tip, eat a lot of volumetric foods (large mass foods with lower calories).
  • Sheckypie
    Options

These are my words of inspiration for the day!
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Don't know what to tell you about the thoughts. I think everyone struggles in that area from time to time. I would suggest that you start a training program that will last 12-16 weeks such as 5k or 10K or completed a circuit dvd such as Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. This will put your focus on something else and off of food.
  • maureenB7
    maureenB7 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! I have done this too. So now when I snack/binge I try very hard to have it be carrots, celery with hummus or lowfat/cal ranch dressing or apples, pineapple, oranges spinkled with cinnamon. Oh and grilled pineapple with cinnamon is delicious! (I know that sounds strange) If I have to have that chunch I eat low fat potato chips but only buy the single serving size so I don't eat too much. I agree, ditch the Slim Fast it is full of SUGAR! I now use EAS Advantage low carb shakes, they are very low sugar and 17 grams of protein. Don't try and totally restrict your diet all at once or you feel deprived and then you can really binge! Hungry Girl website has lots of recipes that show how to lower calories on favorite foods. :happy:
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Yup. As soon as I would get serious about exercising, I felt ready to eat the fridge.

Try cutting one treat out for a month and replace it with a healthy food you like. I decided to go off desserts for a month just to see if I could do it. Try going off chocolate for a month, and at the end, buy a small dark chocolate bar or some really good quality chocolate. Eat a little, put the rest in the freezer. You'll probably find that you can't stomach so much sweet at one time.

Decide to cut out soda for a month, and chances are that at the end, you can only stomach half a can.

Or allow for one small treat a day at the time of day you normally really crave one.

After your workout, treat your body to healthy food to refuel it and reward it for its hard work. Think about healthy meals you love, and have those ingredients on hand. You can make restaurant style indulgent tasting meals without overloading calories.

One of my favorites is ginger, marmalade, and garlic glazed salmon or other fish or chicken (baked or grilled), whole wheat pasta with a creamy lemon dill sauce (Google for recipe). I substitute almond milk for the milk/cream to reduce calories. Add a big salad with your favorite veggies, top the salad with a sprinkle of balsamic vinegar and a shake or two of parmesan. So good!
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    try pinching yourself really hard when the binge thoughts come .. sort of like shock therapy!
  • becki1815
    becki1815 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you do pretty good, when you're not thinking about it. So stop thinking of it as a diet. Think of it as making a healthier meal or just taking a little smaller of a portion. Maybe that will help. Good luck.
  • liss125
    liss125 Posts: 77
    Options
    Naps always make everything better for me :) I may not be handling it by being active, but at least I'm not giving into my desire to consume mass quantities of food.
  • Creativeballance
    Options
    I think of it as a game. I try not to get to 0 on my calorie counter.

It gets me excited. I compete with my coworkers to see who has more points left at the end of the day, etc.

Get some friends together and get competitive.
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    Instead of three meals a day, try and eat six small meals. You'll be fuller, and it'll help your metabolism. But it's all up to you to do make the decision to get healthy, and not fall of the wagon. Ask yourself the question, " do i want this bad enough?"
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I notice that when I think, "Okay, I'm going to eat healthier and record calories" etc, I find I am always wanting junk and always hungry. I record my food (took a break from recording calories) and I just eat normally. I find that on a normal basis without adding the stress of health and whatnot, I am fairly healthy. I think it's just a mind thing.