Is there such thing as too much water?

Options
I have a problem with eating food out of boredom and to keep myself from over eating or eating before my snacks and meals, I drink as much water as i can to curb the hunger and boredom. I don't think I'm capable of drinking enough water to drown my organs or anything but is too much water bad for you? I'm trying to keep away from soda and juices to stay away from too much sugar.

Replies

• wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    In theory too much water can be bad, but the chances of you doing it are very slim. I heard of some guys who tried chugging gallons and gallons of water in a short period of time as part of a contest, and it killed them. The problem there is that your body's salt percentages ends up becoming too small compared to the water amount. It's the exact opposite of getting dehydrated.

However, if you're just drinking water periodically throughout your day, you don't really have a risk of anything since your body has the chance to use it.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Yes there is a thing such as too much water, years ago I read a story where a lady did alot of internal damage due to drinking far too much water. Also once read about a woman who's lungs got filled with water and she died.
  • becki1815
    becki1815 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can die from overhydration. The excess fluid strains the heart and it overworks the kidneys to get rid of the fluid. However, you would have to be chugging gallons at a time.

If you are drinking it throughout the day, maybe 1 liter per hour or so, you're fine, you're just going to the bathroom an awful lot. :)
  • stargazer008
    Options
    Yes there is but I'm pretty sure you would stop before you drink too much water, right? You'd feel uncomfortably full so you'd stop. The chances are slim though.

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm
  • AShawneeF
    AShawneeF Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    In theory too much water can be bad, but the chances of you doing it are very slim. I heard of some guys who tried chugging gallons and gallons of water in a short period of time as part of a contest, and it killed them. The problem there is that your body's salt percentages ends up becoming too small compared to the water amount. It's the exact opposite of getting dehydrated.

However, if you're just drinking water periodically throughout your day, you don't really have a risk of anything since your body has the chance to use it.

in my anatomy classes we learned that too much water desalinates your brain and muscles, making your muscles unable to perform the way they are supposed to (i.e., your heart can't pump properly) and you can make yourself very sick by doing so. the ideal amount of water to drink is your body weight, cut in half. so if you are 130 pounds, you should drink around 65oz a day. if you are really worried about drinking to much, keep a lowfat, salty snack like pretzels on hand.
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Over hydration is extremely rare. You can wiki it and the reported cases are listed there. I have kidney stones so really have to push water intake all day. I drink around 80iz daily. I spend a lot of time in the bathroom :)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    too much of anything can be bad however, I know for a fact that I can drink 20 glasses within 16 hours and was fine (very high sodium day, wasn't much trouble).

I think you need to listen to your body. Your body will tell you when you drink too much water. Atleast I can tell when I should stop
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Drink enough so that your urine is almost clear. No more, no less. Don't worry about how many ounces as much as hydration, because some days you'll need more than others.
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    It takes a lot of water, and is commonly known as water poisoning, or water intoxication. Your cells use osmosis to absorb water/nutrients and maintain homeostasis. When you drink too much water the cells end up swelling and will result in inter cranial pressure. If this persists the blood flow to your brain could be cut off which will result in cerebral edema (this is fatal).

Like I said though, this takes A LOT of water in a short amount of time.
  • jamccurdy
    jamccurdy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can drink too much water, it flushes your system of the sodium intake. My mother 91 years old, works out 1 1/2 hours a day, and does not use salt on anything. She was drinking too much water and she ended up with a very low sodium number. I know we're suppose to watch our sodium intake, but she took it to far. Her system was flushed of sodium. Just balance it out and drink during the day with an appropriate amount of sodium. That's what she was told.
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Yes too much water is harmful.
    If you are trying to curb boredom then why don't you read? Or knit? Or if you're artistic, draw, sketch & paint. Maybe sewing if you're good like that. You need to find something else to become your go to stress release. I knit, read, check out the posts here, keep up with friends on FB around the world and cook food from scratch. I would sketch but it's been a while and my head's not in the right place for that yet.
    I remember telling a friend's mom how bored I was and I never forgot her reply, "Only boring people are bored." I was offended at the time but in hindsight I can see the wisdom. Boredom is just another state of mind. We have the choice over how we feel. So we can change it, if we choose to. I grab a book first, or hurry up and get on with starting my work out. Or I read inspirational stories of success here on MFP. either way it's a win win situation.
    I wish you well on your journey.
  • monkeyriley
    monkeyriley Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It's called hyponatremia.

It is really hard to do unless you are chugging gallons of water or stressing your body via an endurance event. Of all the sports, it appears to hit marathon runners the most because the cells can't process the water due to not having enough sodium for the water to be absorbed through the cell walls.

So, my rule of thumb (not medical advice, just what I found works for me): When I am working out, I drink when I am thirsty; Gatorade is my friend. When I am not working out, a little extra water isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Interesting info found via Googling for 'hyponatremia death':

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/20/sports/othersports/20marathon.html?pagewanted=all
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/6/6_1/1179.shtml
  • 5tephoscope
    5tephoscope Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you sip water throughout the day, you will maintain the good hydration that helps your body be healthy and function optimally. If you follow this, you should be fine. I'd say 8-10 oz in one fell swoop to help fight a craving is fine. Try sugarless gum when you're feeling snacky, as well.

Avoid chugging water or drinking large amounts at once primarily because your body can only process so much at once and it will just go straight through you - taxing your kidneys instead of hydrating your body.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    We had some frat boys at some of the left coast colleges that died from water intoxication because they drank several gallons in a very short time as part of the hazing initiation. Those frat houses are no longer on the campuses.